4. Kalki

It was Saturday, Kalki got off work and rushed home. She only had a few hours before she'd have to leave for the train station, Kalki didn't like how rushed everything was, but at the same time she didn't have much time to spare.

By the time she was done, she could already hear someone down the lane honking like a maniac. That's how she knew Neel was here, and already creating a ruckus. Kalki grabbed her luggage and rushed down to the street.

"I would have booked a cab if I knew you were going to behave like a hooligan." She huffed getting into the car.

"You're welcome my dear sister, I hope you are comfortable." Neel grinned.

They spent the rest of the drive bickering, catching up on what had happened during their work days and what their plans were for the weekend. Kalki was distracted because of her phone, it was ringing.

"Hi Kabir." She answered.

"Listen, are you home?" He asked.

"No? Didn't I tell you?" She sighed.

"Babe you know I was looking through shots from shoot."

"Okay, well. I'm not home, I'm on my way to the train station."

"For what?"

"Are you serious?" She rolled her eyes, "I'm going to attend the Belgian Grand Prix and catch up with girls on the karting scene."

"And do what? Talk to them about your cute little karting career?" He laughed patronisingly.

"You're so funny." She said flatly, "anyway, what did you want?"

"Nothing. I wanted to spend time with the love of my life but she's gone."

"I'll be back on Monday see you then." She ended the call.

She heard Neel snicker. She glared at him, but he wasn't big on keeping his mouth shut. "Oh My God. He's such a big loser!" Neel exclaimed, "He's so self absorbed, an absolute shitty person and you're still seeing him? He's just a stupid camera man."

"He's a photographer! And he's not as egotistical as you paint him to be." She found herself defending Kabir again.

"Name one magazine he's shot for apart from the one his uncle is on the board of." He challenged her, "will you look at that!" He pulled over, "we're already here! Bye! Have a safe trip and you have one day to name anything that loser of a boyfriend has accomplished apart from being a nepo baby." He waved at her.

Kalki couldn't lie, Neel was right- and he was being really funny about it. She took her bags out and waved him goodbye, she still had a few minutes before her train would be here. She took that time to review her schedule for the next few days and move around things so that it wouldn't be too intense of a workday on Monday.

She planned on getting in some sleep on the journey, it would only be a few hours but she wanted to sneak in some rest. She was really excited, maybe she didn't want to admit it but the thought of being around so many young people who have the same hobby as she once had, made her quite happy and so elated she couldn't sleep at all.

She checked into her hotel late into the night, changed into night clothes and lay on her bed wide awake. Maybe some tea? What could she possibly do to calm herself and get in some rest?

♥ ... ♥

Kalki had managed to get some rest, she felt better in the morning. She was happy she didn't look as tired anymore. She put on the outfit she had planned for the day, checked her phone ate breakfast and waited for the convoy they would send for her.

A few minutes later, she was here. She greeted Kalki with a big smile and lead her to the portico where the car waited for them. Maham, Kalki learnt was her name. They talked for a while about what the event was about and what they were looking forward to, Maham told her about how thrilled the girls were when they got to meet some of the drivers this morning.

They pulled into the parking spot, she followed Maham who was navigating through the place quite effortlessly while Kalki was still taking in all the sights and scenes. The number of luxury cars parked in this place stunned her, just this parking lot was probably worth more than all the money she'll make in her lifetime she thought.

They walked into the paddock, Kalki was impressed by the sight- all the people rushing around, fans swarming around drivers. She too felt like absolutely fangirling when she saw Seb, she decided to catch hold of them after the race. She noticed a man looking at her, he was quite literally studying her face and then he suddenly smiled.

"Is that you!" His thickly accented voice exclaimed, "Only girl in the competition at Normandy."

"I do remember being the only one in a lot of instances." She replied still struggling to guess who he was.

"It's me, Pierre." He introduced himself.

"Gasly!" She smiled suddenly connecting all the dots, "how have you been?" She walked quicker towards him, "I'm sorry Maham, I'm going to be a here for a while."

"No problem! I'll be right there." She pointed to a table under an umbrella.

"I've been great!" He beamed, "what have you been up to?"

"I've been working as a talent manager." She smiled, studying his jacket, "And you... have become an F1 driver!"

"Yeah. Living the dream." He laughed.

"Oh my god!" They heard someone exclaim, Pierre turned around to see who it was and Kalki wished her eyes hadn't followed the direction. Max stood there with a big grin on his face, he looked at Pierre and then back at Kalki, he walked closer to where they were.

Kalki hoped she could just smile and pretend like she didn't really remember him, "It really is you." He said.

"I think you're mistaken." Kalki said before trying to walk away.

"It's Sulky Kalki! How have you been?" He asked.

Kalki was filled with rage, her cheeks were a bright red and she knew that if she didn't act sooner she'd probably fight him just like when they were kids. Hearing the commotion a lot of photographers were arriving at the spot to take pictures of "Sulky Kalki"and Max.

He went on narrating tales from when they were kids, the time she let him fall and punched his face after that, the scolding he got from his father for it and Kalki just stood there embarrassed. She looked at Maham from the corner of her eye, Maham knew from the look on Kalki's face that she wanted to be out of here and it was right now.

Maham walked to her, took her hand and led her out of the crowd. They walked to the place where the girls were waiting, news sure travels fast because the girls were already asking her questions about how it was to fight Max on track, did she really beat him up?

"Is that all I am? Am I here because of my accomplishments or because of Max Fucking Verstappen?" She lashed out.

Kalki just realised she had sworn in front of a bunch of kids, the looks on everyone's faces were clearly that of disapproval. She apologised to everyone and said that she was going to try and be better, a few minutes of friction later things were going great. The girls liked her for her boldness and direct answers and she felt inspired by them because all of them had big dreams.

She watched the race with them and had a good time, but somewhere in her heart she kept thinking about what it could have been. Maybe if she had continued, she wouldn't be here attending the race. She might have been the one driving the cars everyone cheered for.

The race was over and it was time to say goodbye, "okay girls! You've got to make me a promise." She said.

"What is it!" The youngest one asked.

"That you won't stop. No matter how difficult it gets, you're going to show everyone that you're just as capable." She smiled.

"And that We can beat Max Verstappen too!" The little girl added.

"On track that is," Kalki corrected her, "don't hit people I don't think your parents will like me very much for it."