31. Max

A/n: sorry for the slow updates! With summertime sadness coming to an end last week I've been in a slump of sorts :( I kind of forgot to update this story and I'm kind of losing direction so if you have any ideas please feel free to share them!

It had been an hour, they were really close to their hotel for the weekend. Max was still taking it in. Kalki had really apologised. She had uttered the words sorry to him. He looked at her face, she was fast asleep with not a trace of worry on it. So much for not trusting him.

"Burman. We're here." He announced.

"Hmm?" She blinked her eyes, taking a big stretch. As soon as she sat up, he noticed her wince and grab her forehead.

"Admit it. The Sake was too much for you." He chuckled.

"Never ever." She stumbled out of the car.

"At least let me help you to your room."

"I'll be fine. See you tomorrow morning mister Verstappen." She shut the door after her.

She was so strange, she'd have a super casual conversation with him and then go back to being all hostile and formal like they didn't just catch up over what life was like back when things were simpler. Max didn't understand why he found himself worrying so much about it all the time, it wasn't like she'd come into his life to be a friend. She was here to do her job.

But still, a part of him worried. Cared. Cared much more than he was willing to ever admit. It felt like his own mind was betraying him all the time. He found himself walking behind Kalki, with just enough distance so that she wouldn't feel uncomfortable. They got into the same elevator, she looked exhausted. But forcing her eyes to remain alert, just a little longer.

He held the door open so she could leave, she gave him a kurt nod as she exited the elevator, her strange way of saying thank you without actually uttering the words. Once he saw the door of her room open and shut after her, he sighed of relief and headed to his room.

What he needed right now was a long shower to wash the day off of him, and some great sleep. But even after the shower, it was difficult to sleep. He lay in bed, restless. Thinking about what Kalki had said, thinking about the whole scene his father made at a very public place. His body was tired, but his mind didn't seem to want to let him rest.

Max sat up, he got out of bed and walked out to the balcony. Looking over the little self contained complex they called Suzuka circuit, the lights of the Ferris wheel at the amusement park were just put out. It was time for him to at least try to sleep. He planned to wake up early and play some golf with whoever was up for it, even if they were complete strangers.

***

"Why are you going to Tokyo? Weren't you the one who insisted we leave for Suzuka the previous night itself?" Max asked Kalki.

"I know. I just wanted to make sure we were running on schedule. I'm going for personal reasons." She said.

"Like what?"

"My sister. She's walking her first ever show outside Europe and I'd like to be there for her career milestone." He could see the smile curling on the corner of her lips.

It was strange, for someone so cold she sure did love her family very much. So much she seemed to be willing to do just about anything for them. Somewhere in his heart, he felt jealous. He was jealous she loved them unconditionally. He couldn't wrap his mind about love existing without any sort of conditions.

"That's great. I wish her good luck." He said.

"Thank you. I'll tell her."

"Do you need a ride?" He asked.

"No it's all good, I have it figured out. Thanks for offering." She said.

They went their ways, Max reached the golf range. He found Yuki sitting in one of the golf carts all by himself, he waved at Max with a big smile.

"Good morning!" He beamed.

"Morning! Starting your day with some golf with Pierre?" He asked.

"No Pierre had to go to Tokyo. I'm here with Alex and Lando, they're in there talking to the manager, go tell them! Join our game!" Yuki insisted.

Max scoffed. Pierre had to go to Tokyo too, that felt awfully strange. He wondered what would have suddenly come up and if it involved attending a certain fashion show. He'd know about it soon anyway, it's not like Pierre could live without either posting about it or liking posts on Instagram about him being there.

"I'll join your game, let me go find those two." Max said, walking towards the office where Yuki had suggested Lando and Alex were.

He spotted them talking to a woman in a formal outfit, she must be the manager. The three of them seemed to be laughing about something, Alex noticed him and asked him to come join them.

"We're convincing Miss Ito here to come join our party." Alex beamed.

"That's...interesting." Max nodded. "I was wondering if you'd let me join you guys."

"See Miss Ito! We have the world champion playing with us! Now you've got to come play!" Lando insisted.

"Thank you so much for the offer but I insist that you gentlemen have a go, I'll join you after your race weekend." She politely ushered them all out of her office.

"Why did you want her to play golf with you?" Max laughed.

"She was working in there all by herself, sorting through papers and all that it looked so mundane and sad, so I wanted to cheer her up." Alex beamed.

"Aren't you a sweetie?" Max laughed.

The group started their game, to their surprise even if Yuki claimed to be a rookie, he was playing better than Alex. Which felt comical, considering his girlfriend Lily, played golf professionally. They spent the whole game with intense competition and occasional jabs at Alex for being the worst of the group.

"You don't understand! She plays golf. I drive fast cars." Alex shook his head.

"So do we, but you technically have an advantage over us. Lily probably teaches you and you're still so bad." Yuki teased him.

"Just accept your defeat so we can all get brunch now." Lando complained.

Begrudgingly, Alex accepted the result of their game. They found a table looking over the green ranges, a nice view as they caught up before the hectic weekend that awaited them.

Kalki had already planned the day ahead for him, but Max still found himself straying from the schedule she'd made him. He didn't want to attend a sponsor dinner all by himself, he wasn't exactly sure how he could get out of that again.

For now, he had content to shoot with the marketing team. He sat next to Checo as someone from the team explained the rules of the game they were playing, Max loved filming videos when they were like this. He could be as candid as he wanted, unapologetically himself as he tried to outsmart his teammate, whatever be the task.