44. Max

There was a weird tension in the air now, there was no denying that. The previous two races, Kalki kept contact with him to the bare minimum, she didn't even come to his garage for all the sessions.

But by Abu Dhabi people were catching on, even if they kept denying nothing was wrong no one believed them. Especially his mum, she looked at him with so much suspicion it made him want to tell her to go adopt Kalki since she adored her so much.

"You didn't fight did you?"

"No we didn't!" Max snapped.

It was the last race of the season, after this he only had testing and then he wouldn't be hopping into the car for quite some time. A part of him was sad the season was coming to an end, it didn't feel that long. But a part of him was relieved, he had redeemed himself and now deserved to sit back and rest. It stung even more when he realised Kalki wasn't in his garage yet, it was almost time for the last session.

At this point he couldn't lie to himself, he was in denial about some unexplainable feelings towards her. He didn't know if his heart felt heavy from her not being here or disappointed in him for choosing her to be sad about from everyone on this whole planet. Why did he feel like he was going through the stages of grief?

He couldn't wait for this race to be over, he couldn't wait to drop off Kalki at the airport and not see her face in a while. With that being the last thought as he put his helmet on, he headed to his car. There was no room for these thoughts right now, he had a Grand Prix to win.

Even the race on track felt lonely, he was quite ahead of the pack, no one to compete with, he was just driving on his own. The only time he realised he had company was when it was time to do the donuts at the end of the race, he couldn't wait to celebrate with this grid one last time, a lot of familiar faces were leaving to be replaced by new ones.

In the cool-down room he teased Charles for not being fast enough, telling him his lack of pace made the race a boring experience. He hoped for at least some competition for that P1. Charles was clearly not in the zone, he simply chuckled at the joke and went back into his little bubble.

Their names were announced one by one, Max made his way to the podium. He looked at the crowd gathered below, it didn't take him long to spot his mother, who was accompanied by Kalki. She had a smile on her face, the commotion was clearly disorienting but he found himself grinning back at her like a fool. In his mind they even made eye contact for a while, even if she couldn't see his face very clearly.

Podium celebrations, the photos and finally media duty all came to and end. Max took a moment to just sit by the wall of his garage facing the pit lane, he watched the crew back up everything back in the boxes.

"You like her don't you?" He heard a voice laugh.

He looked up to see Pierre standing by him, Max stood up to face him. "What are you talking about?"

"It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. First the sabotage of her character, then scaring everyone away but then sponsoring her protege and taking care of her. All that for someone you supposedly hate?"

"Stop rambling nonsense." Max scoffed.

"You know I'm right." He smiled cheekily, "Listen I'm not saying you're in love or anything but yeah, I think she piques your curiosity."

"Doesn't she pique yours?"

"Dude." Pierre frowned, "She's like a sister to me!"

"Why are you so nosy?"

"I messed up things with someone and all I can ask for now is forgiveness. It's a hard pill to swallow."

"I mean, if you're telling me to be so open about my feelings I'd suggest you do the same." Max said.

"It'll mess up a lot of things." He shook his head, "I'll let you be now." Pierre laughed taking his leave.

"Mate! Really? After stirring up an existential crisis inside me?" Max yelled.

Denial was getting exhausting, he felt a gentle hand on his shoulder. He looked up to lock eyes with her, how could he be angry? Maybe he could skip right past them all straight to acceptance.

"Why are you smiling like that at me?" She said moving her hand, bring it to her face, "there's something on my face?"

"No. You look fine. I was just happy. Sorry I smiled at you for no reason."

"Do you know who smiles for no reason?" The corners of her lips turned up playfully.

"Crazy people." He grinned.

"Ah I see. No denial? Jumping to acceptance?"

"I wish." Max said under his breath.

"Hmm?" She looked at him.

"Nothing. Let's get going." He stood up, breaking into a brisk walk. He didn't want her to see how flustered he looked right now.

"Also. It's the last evening of the season, wherever you're partying, I'm joining." She announced.

Max froze in his tracks, "The Kalki Burman. Who faints of overworking. Is going to let loose? For one evening?"

"If you're going to mock me never mind I have other friends." She rolled her eyes.

"No! Come with me I'll take you around." He said, finding himself a little more happier than he would like.

"Fine. For now I have some things to get done text me when you're planning to leave I'll join you." She said.

"Leave? Right now. I just have to change into my regular clothes."

"Partying straight away? That's not clean!"

"Who cleans up-"

"I'm not partying in business casual she frowned."

"Oh." He looked at her. He realised how awkward it would feel to go clubbing in a literal suit, and if she wanted to change he must obey. He had seen what she looked like when she made an effort, who was he to complain?

Just the thought of her being all dressed up, by his side, having a good evening out made him giddy with excitement. He wouldn't be on the sidelines anymore.