34. Kalki

Two chapters this weekend because I've been sitting on way too many drafts 😭

It didn't take Kalki too long to figure out Lando was definitely hitting on her. He'd even gone through the pain of finding her Instagram and sending her a message. She still couldn't stop thinking back and laughing at the interaction they'd had while leaving the track.

She freshened up and decided to get herself some room service and she worked through Max's schedule. Before that she decided to send him a text, check in on what he was up to.

You: I'm currently working on arranging sponsor events, wondering what you were up to

Max Emilian: Just about to get on a call with Kalki, also can you keep events for tomorrow just an appearance sort of thing? I'd like to be as relaxed before a long haul flight as I can

You: yes of course. Since you're flying to the US a week early, am I allowed to schedule events and meetings in New York or you're going to want that week off?

Max Emilia: I'll tell you after my call. Have you eaten yet?

Kalki was a little confused, she made a soft chuckle sort of sound, typing that she was just about to start. He said that he hoped she enjoyed her meal and went offline. She didn't think much of it and then started wondering if he had eaten anything yet. The day had been busy and the last thing she saw him sit down for a meal was lunch, she recalled his trainer talking about how Max just forgot sometimes if he got very busy.

That worried Kalki, he needed all the energy he could get to get through his day. She found herself walking to his room, with the tray of food in her hand. She knocked on his door, he opened it with a surprised look on his face.

"Give me a moment Kai." He said putting the phone away. "What are you doing here?"

She wanted to say she honestly didn't know what she was doing either. Kalki held the tray to him, "I come bearing food. Apparently you're forgetful."

"I can't believe Bradley would do me dirty like that." He shook his head, "I don't skip meals!"

"I know you don't mean to. But as your manager I'd like that you do everything to maintain good energy levels." She said.

"As my manager of course. Do you ever do anything as just a person?"

"Have you ever treated me like a person?" She shot back. "Eat if you want to." She placed the tray in his hands and walked away.

He was so frustrating. He did nice things sometimes and almost instantly followed them with something snarky like this, she couldn't understand why it was so hard for them to just treat each other like normal people. She tried being professional, it just felt stiff. If she got too casual it just went back to them behaving around each other like the way they used to as kids. Nobody needed to see two grown adults name calling and pulling faces at each other.

"Burmam come back here." She heard him say.

Kalki ignored him and continued walking ahead, maybe grabbing dinner with Lando didn't sound to bad right now. She sent him a text back saying things had changed, she was free now. Almost instantly he let her know he could come pick her up in 30 minutes, he knew a place she'd like.

That was more than enough time to get dressed and do her makeup. Kalki wasted no time in getting ready. Lando sure was punctual, he was waiting for her in the lobby. He was dressed sharp, in a black button up and trousers, she was glad she chose to wear a black dress.

"Will you look at that! We're matching!" He beamed.

"We are." She smiled. She walked closer to him, standing next to him, she realised even without wearing pumps she was a bit taller than him. That didn't seem to bother him at all.

"You look really pretty." He said to her, he took her hand, leading her out of the lobby to the portico. A sleek McLaren pulled up, he held a door open for her and quickly slid into the driver's seat afterwards.

"Thank you! You look great too!"

So far, he was really impressing her. He was secure about himself , well mannered and sweet. And to top it all of, he had an adorable smile.

"So, where are you taking me?" She asked.

"Well, I'm holding you hostage till you give us all of Red Bull's trade secrets." He chuckled. "Look at the skyline!"

"Suzuka really is stunning." She sighed.

"Nothing beats Tokyo." He said.

"I agree!"

"Sadly, we're not off to Tokyo but I think you'll like this place." He said hopefully.

Kalki stepped out of the car and followed him, a valet took the keys and drove the car away from the portico. Lando took her hand and led her to what looked like an upscale rooftop restaurant. More luxuries to get used to, she thought to herself.

"And before you start calculating the cost of everything, tonight is on me. And no we can't split the bill. The person who asked out pays. So next time is on you." He said helping her into her chair.

"Aren't you a gentleman!" She laughed.

Surprisingly, dinner wasn't all that awkward. All his nervousness was gone, and he was actually quite sweet. He spoke about F1 and gaming with a lot of passion, he even asked her about her interests and how she ended up in the paddock, what were her friends and family like. They were getting along quite well.

"You have a race to take part in tomorrow. We'll catch up after that." Kalki said, hinting at wanting to end the night here.

"Yes of course. I need to be well rested and so do you." He said.

The drive back was even more fun, he let her take control of the music, they realised they listened to a lot of the same artists and she got to be the one to introduce him to Bollywood music. She hummed along some of the songs and noticed the glances he was stealing at her.

Kalki realised, this was about more than just getting under Max's skin. Lando was actually an interesting and she wanted to get to know him better, the fact it annoyed Max was just a bonus.

They pulled into the portico of her hotel, "good luck for tomorrow." Kalki managed to sneak a quick peck on the cheek. He wasn't expecting it at all, and the flustered expression on his face definitely let her know he liked it.

"I think now I will." He smiled, "Good night Kalki."