19. Kalki

The room was cozy, and the view it offered was beautiful. She could see the town square from her room. Kalki was hungry, she washed her face, put on some more layers of clothing and headed down to the lobby. It was certainly under thirty minutes but Max was already there, before her.

"Looks like we had the same idea." He said, watching her walk towards him.

"I wanted to sit down and read the newspaper, since you're ready too let's get food first." She said.

Max said he knew a good breakfast place and lead them to what looked like a very familiar part of town, Kalki was trying to recall what could have possibly been here that made her remember this place so well. Any guesses? Max asked her.

"It feels like I know this place and still don't know anything." She admitted.

"Wrack your brains just a little more." He said, taking a left.

"Tarte Tatin!" Kalki beamed.

"So you do remember?"

"I mean. It WAS the place to hang out after classes or to get a good breakfast before heading to the track."

They walked into the eatery, Kalki's senses were joyfully overwhelmed with the pleasant scent of breakfast food. They found themselves a table and ordered a variety of food. It went awkwardly quiet while waiting for the food, she tried to initiate conversation.

"Kai is already at the track, her whole family is here to root for her." She said.

"That's sweet, I mean that kind of support system goes a long way." He remarked.

After eating to their fill, the headed to the track. Kalki was rudely reminded of his celebrity status, the fact that he had chased his dream and people recognised him for it. Little kids, teenagers, young women and men, parents, everyone calling his name, asking for a photograph or an autograph and wishing him well for the season ahead.

She ignored him, the crowd around him and continued marching towards where Kai and her teammate were preparing. The girl waved at her with a big smile on her family, the rest of her family quickly gathered around to see the person that saw potential in their child.

"It's so nice to finally meet you." Kalki smiled shaking Kai's hand.

"Same here! I don't think I can thank you enough-"

"Don't thank me yet! We've got big plans for you." She said to her.

"Really?" She looked at her with hope in her eyes, tucking her curly black hair behind her ears.

"Yes! So what's the schedule looking like for today?"

"I've made it to the final race, if the category before mine goes well I'll be done with this championship a little before lunch." Kai explained.

"If you win, we're celebrating at a nice restaurant okay?" Kalki said.

"Even if you don't, the fact you put in so much work deserves celebration. Lunch is on me." Max announced entering the tent.

Kalki watched Kai's jaw drop to the floor, the girl looked she had stars in her eyes. She looked at Kalki and then back at Max. He walked up to her and introduced himself, as if he needed an introduction.

"So back to what your manager was saying, you go out there and give it your all. We're celebrating regardless of the outcome okay?" Max repeated.

"I just can't believe you're here. You're real and you're talking to me right now." She blurted.

It made everyone laugh, Max asked her to show him her kart, the two of them walked to where her kart was being prepped by a mechanic. Kalki took this time to talk to the rest of her family.