50. Kalki

The days were filled with planning and the nights either sleepless or passing out from exhaustion, she had made up her mind. Kalki was going to resign, move back in with her parents so she could save money and start her own business, for now her only client was Anika and business partners her friends, but she believed it would all work out.

It was finally the day to meet Raymond, she was going to hand in her resignation. She had already discussed this with Kai, who already saw it coming seeing how little involvement Kalki had in making decisions with her. Much to Kalki's surprise, Kai was very mature about it, the only thing she made her promise is that she'd be at her dinner after winning the competition.

"Do I look professional? Half decent?" Kalki asked Anika as she tried to smooth her hair.

"You look more than half decent." Anika reassured her, "I'll drop you off, it's on my way to the fitting."

The sisters were on their way, Kalki didn't feel anything. She expected herself to at least feel a little anxious, but she felt completely numb. Not sad about how it ended, not happy about how she reconnected with some of her old peers and the new connections made.

"We're here." Anika announced, "Take a deep breath and don't worry too much! You've made the right choice." She gave her sister a firmly held her sister's hand.

"It's too late to regret." She laughed. "Bye bye! I hope fitting goes well I'm so sorry I couldn't come with you."

"It's okay there's like five more rehearsals that you can come to."

Kalki stepped out of the car and walked towards the building, as the car drove away she realised how truly cold the weather was today. She looked at the sky, thick, grey clouds had engulfed the sky. For now her only worry was to finish this meeting before it starts pouring and even her umbrella can't save her.

As she entered the office, she noticed the eyes on her, no one really stared but eyes did linger longer than required. Whispers flew around, as if they were so low she couldn't hear. Kalki took a deep breath and continued, the receptionist greeted her and told her to take a seat on the couch. Raymond was on a call with a client.

Being left alone wasn't the ideal situation, she tried her best not to fidget, look outside the window and worry about the rain or do anything that gave away the fact she was a nervous mess.

"He's ready to see you." The receptionist said.

"Thanks!" Kalki smiled, walking towards the door of his office.

She gave it a gentle knock and then entered, Raymond greeted her with a smile, just like the first time he had approached her. He didn't look angry, he asked her to come take a seat.

"It's been a while Burman."

"It has." Kalki said nervously, "I'll answer everything you want me to honestly-"

"I didn't call you down to interrogate you." He laughed, "I wanted to know what you're up to, you won't come to the office but you'll respond to emails from sponsors. Are you working for me or not?"

"I was hoping to talk to you about that." She said sliding the envelope towards him.

"Not after all the trouble I went through trying to recruit you." He shook his head.

"The notice period on that is short, since most of my responsibilities have been cut off and handled by others at the office anyway." She laughed.

"That wasn't intended to-"

"It basically felt like you were firing me Raymond, you could have just let go of me on the day of the incident. Snatching away my role from me was basically torture."