15. Kalki

It was Sunday at last, Max had gotten on her nerves on not just one but multiple occasions. Luckily Raymond was around to mediate, he had stopped things from escalating in a very public view. Everybody had already figured out, Kalki was quite a firecracker.

She too had started meditating in the mornings, just praying wasn't cutting it. She needed more than just five minutes to be mentally ready for the day, she was in the process of disconnecting the Max she knew and the Max she was managing. Kalki was working on staying neutral, not losing her cool around him.

Raymond had made it a point for her to arrive to track with Max and leave, because that's what all 22 weekends of her life were going to look like. Kalki was dressed for the day and headed to breakfast, Max was waiting for her and Raymond had not yet arrived. She was tempted to turn around and run away, but it was too late he had already noticed her.

"Good morning Burman." He said.

"Morning." She said taking a seat opposite to him.

They spent the next few minutes in awkward silence, Kalki realised this was a good time to talk about her social media idea. "I want to ask you something."

"Go ahead."

"How do you feel about sharing a little bit more about yourself with your fans?" She asked.

"In what sense?" His eyebrows shot up.

"That's not what I mean!" She rolled her eyes, "I was going through your social media accounts and everything is just so posed and perfect. It's all promotions or training, it doesn't feel real."

"Awe. Look who stayed up all night stalking me." He smirked.

Kalki shot him a look of disgust, she was clearly not impressed with his take. But she continued anyway, he was nodding his head. She couldn't tell if he actually agreed with her or if he was just misleading her like a few days ago.

"Of course, I'm not asking you to share everything about your life. You can discuss with your family, friends and Evi about where you draw boundaries."

"Evi?"

"I'm pretty sure she's your girlfriend? Raymond even talked to me about her..." Kalki said, clearly straining her mind trying to recall her name.

"Yeah I will discuss with her." He nodded.

"Good morning my rowdy children!" Raymond's joyful voice announced his arrival.

"Always coming up with such endearing nicknames aren't you." Max laughed.

"Good morning Raymond." Kalki smiled.

"What were you up to before I came?" He asked.

"We were just talking about his social media strategy." Kalki explained.

"Ah yes, making him look vegetarian." He took a sip of his coffee.

It made Kalki chuckle and Max just look at them more confused, "Inside joke." Kalki took a jab at him.

"Oh alright then both my managers are buddies and I'm the joke."

"No silly! I told him about making your feed look more organic and he can't remember it for the life of him." She laughed.

"Did you just call me Silly?" He stared.

Kalki choked on her orange juice, in the fun of the moment she may have accidentally treated him like a pal, not a client. But then it was Max, she didn't want to apologise, not to Max Emilian! She shrugged and just went on eating her omelette.

"Both of you better get used to joking with each other because it's going to be necessary." Raymond ended the awkward silence.

She was about to say that the last person she wanted to be perceived as funny around was Max, Kalki chose not to say it. She simply nodded and continued eating, she wanted to pester Max a little more about why he looked visibly confused about when she asked about his girlfriend. Maybe she'd ask someone else when he was in the car and ready to race.

The drive to the circuit was chaotic to say the least, people were chanting the Ferrari drivers' names and a sense of rivalry with the Red Bull team charged the atmosphere. Max laughed and said, "Every time I come to Italy it reminds me of what the other guys probably feel like in the Netherlands."

"Terrified for your life?" Kalki said, her eyes still wide from all the yelling and window bashing on the windows she had witnessed.

"Wait till you hear the roars of when anyone from Ferrari enters the place." Max laughed.

"This career path is making me experience some of the strangest firsts." Kalki mumbled under her breath. She caught Max pulling a funny expression. "Oh my God. Are you 10?" She rolled her eyes.

"What!? You had been getting really close to Mick." He shrugged, "And yesterday you didn't even acknowledge his existence, so..."

"What incredible story has your incredible mind come up with?"

"I don't know. Being friends with someone on a Tuesday evening and then not running to their garage on a Saturday...fishy. Feels like you've gotten what you wanted." He said pulling the car into a parking spot.

"I said it once and I'll say it again, stay out of my personal life." Kalki got out of the car, cameras were already ready to greet the arrival of Max and they were more than ready to push her out of the way. Well, they didn't but it sure felt like that.

She was angry at Max for trying to pry into how she spent her time with Mick, they had hit it off but she didn't really see him in a romantic light. She didn't want to play with anyone's feelings, she didn't have the time for it. But there was just something about his kind eyes and sweet smile that didn't let her say what she wanted to.

Even when they entered the paddock, he dropped by Red Bull centre to say hi, see how she was doing. With that out of the way, the drivers were off to their pre race rituals and duties. Kalki took this time to grab a coffee, Anna walked in at the same time.

"So glad we can finally grab a cup and chat!" Anna smiled.

"Same here! How are you doing today?" Kalki asked her.

"I'm good! I'd ask you the same but I'm sure a certain someone already found their way here to ask you the same." She cooed.

"Oh gosh." Kalki held her head in her hands, "He's sweet, he's really sweet and so full of hope It's sickening. But again, imagine being the person to shatter that kind boy's heart."

"You're not even here a full week and already breaking hearts? Oh my look at you go!" She laughed.

"Stop! As if you didn't fool around."

"You've got to get noticed for it first." Anna said, Kalki could see the hurt in her eyes.

"Blind. Each one of them. Look at you! Bright eyes, a dazzling smile and the sweetest personality I've ever come across." Kalki beamed at her.

"Oh my God! I don't watch over her for five minutes and she's already hitting on someone." Max entered the scene.

"He's got a problem, just jealous I've flirted with everyone but him." Kalki rolled her eyes.

"She's kidding of course." Anna said.

"I'm not kidding about the bit about you being wonderful." She said.

"Okay pack it up lover girl, the marketing guys want to speak to you, about that strategy of yours." Max interrupted.

"You left your garage, came all the way back here to tell me that?" Kalki looked at him.

"No. I actually forgot my water bottle, came back to get it. You're not that special you know?" He walked off.