41. Kalki

The evening was eventful, she watched Max on the podium, he didn't hold back his tears. Kalki could already think about all the emails and calls flooding her phone from the sponsors right now. But none of that mattered, what baffled her the most is she didn't feel envy, she was happy for him. Genuinely happy for him, like watching a friend accomplish their goals while you cheer them on.

It was way past midnight once they were done with media and other commitments by the track, to her surprise, Max's mother Sophie had decided to stay behind. She was patiently waiting for everything. When Kalki finally got a break from the tasks, she decided to go talk to Sophie.

"He did it! He did it!" She squeezed Kalki.

"Yes he did!" She smiled. "Are you not exhausted? Do you want to perhaps stretch so you don't feel sore? Maybe lie down for a bit? You've got to be exhausted! The flight delays and jet lag..."

"I'm all good! Don't worry about me." She assured her, "what about you? When will you and Max be free to go?"

"My work is done for now. Mr. Verstappen is giving his last interview, he should be done in another 5-10 minutes." She said.

"You've been running around all week, are you not tired?"

"I am. But we're managing a world champion here, lots to do!" She laughed. Kalki looked at her watch, she really had to get going, she still had meetings to schedule and emails to answer. There were not enough hours left until it would be Monday morning and people would head to offices, expecting their queries answered and resolved.

"You better get going! Sleep well okay? I'm sure Max is heading straight to parties after this, I'll tell him you left."

"Alright, thanks so much! And please get some rest too." She smiled before leaving.

She found Christian on her way out, a firm handshake and a lot of he's done it! The boy did it! Later Kalki told him about all the ads Max had lined up for him, pretty much every sponsor offering a hefty sum for some form of promotion.

"Before you leave, let's have a team lunch tomorrow I'll have it all communicated specifically later." Christian said.

"Yes of course! That's if Max is taking the tab." She laughed.

"Of course he is! If he doesn't spend all his bonus tonight." He joked.

"Are you doubting his capabilities?"

"He's very clever with his finances. I'm sure that sobriety stays in his mind even when he's completely sloshed."

That made Kalki laugh, "Have a good night Mr.Christian, I'll take your leave now." She said.

"See you for lunch then, party hard you youngsters!"

"No partying for me tonight I've got sponsors to answer." She sighed.

"You can answer them later! You're young! Go out and have fun! Were you this upright and ideal while you were working in fashion?"

"That was completely different parties that were meant for professional networking often involved some people snorting substances." She laughed.

"Oh my! Don't get snorting substances wild, but have fun tonight, don't worry so much about work."

"I will, thanks!" She left towards the car park.

In all honesty, she was exhausted. Even if she didn't want to, or have to answer emails now there was no way she was getting ready to head out and party. She wanted to talk to her family, friends and sleep all the way until it was time for lunch.

She checked her phone, she had a missed call from Anika. She sent her a text to ask her if she was free, she could talk to her now. Almost instantly, Anika's name flashed across the screen again.

"Hello? How are you doing?" Anika asked.

"Hi! I'm exhausted but happy." She yawned, "what about you guys? How are you?"

"I was watching the race with Neel! Max won the championship?"

"Yeah."

"That's amazing! You got to watch it all live I'm so jealous." She huffed.

"You didn't even care about the sport until you saw Pierre." She rolled her eyes.

"About that... I know you're good friends with him so-"

"Ani is this what you called me for? I'll actually cut the call now-"

"No no no! I'm sorry I won't talk about him." She laughed, "I was wondering about when you'll be back, we miss you!"

"Not until the season is over. I'm so homesick but I've got so much to do. What did I sign up for." Kalki sighed.

"You're having fun right? It's not too bad? Max isn't too mean is he?"

"Surprisingly, he's not that bad anymore." She said thoughtfully, "I don't want to call him my friend but we're friendly."

"That's quite an improvement!" Anika beamed.

"How are things for you lately?"

"I was so tired after Paris. I came home and just went into hibernation but then I remembered I have bills to pay so now I'm working whatever commercial gigs the manager is able to find."

"He's finding you decent offers right? And you're comfortable around him?"

"He's not you. But he's good at his job, and yes I'm very comfortable around him. He doesn't make any weird comments and stands up for us models when a casting director starts nitpicking on something. He's a good manager." She explained.

"I'm glad you like him! How are ma and papa?"

"They're both good, papa's bragging about how well his students are doing and Ma sits and listens to him as if fashion houses are not fighting to have a consultation with her." She chuckled.

"Humble as ever isn't she?" Kalki laughed.

"What time is it for you?"

"It's about 3:30 am."

"And you're talking on the phone to your younger sister? Not partying with celebrities?"

"I'm tired, old and overworked. I have so many things to take care of and I still made time to check on family and this is what I get?"

"Please go to sleep then! Why do you work so hard? Have fun sometimes."

"I've been having fun for too long. Now I finally understand how things in the paddock work..." she drifted away. Her eyelids were getting heavy, it was getting increasingly difficult to stay awake.

"Go to bed right now! You can call Neel and your friends tomorrow." Anika said.

"Yeah I guess I will. You have an average day."

"Average? Mediocre night to you." Her sister ended the call.

Kalki put her phone away, it didn't take long for sleep to arrive. In fact she fell sleep before her head could even hit the pillow. No idea how there were staff members who would go partying after a day so tiring she thought.