7. Max

He could see Neel waiting at one of the tables by the window, he waved at him and then entered the restaurant. He couldn't believe how long it had been since he had seen Neel, both of them had clearly grown a lot but still had quite a lot to talk about.

"It's so good to see you again." Neel smiled wide.

"Man, it's been long hasn't it?" Max laughed.

"Before I forget!" Neel handed Max a neatly wrapped present, "Congratulations on becoming world champion." He beamed.

"Thank you!" Max put the present away.

The two spent hours talking over lunch, towards the end of their meal Max spotted his manager walking into the restaurant. He excused himself to quickly go ask Reymond what he was doing here.

"If you were meeting a potential sponsor you should have told me!" Max said.

"I'm not meeting a sponsor. You'll know when you need to, now go have fun with your friend!" He shooed him away.

Max went back to his table with confusion on his face, was Reymond on a blind date or something? Either way, it was none of his business. He went back into having a conversation about what Neel had been working on when suddenly Neel looked behind him in surprise.

"What is this demon spawn doing here?"

Max turned around to see who it was, he wished he had realised what Neel had meant by that phrase. Kalki had walked into the place, blissfully unaware that these two were here, no. It can't be. Max gnawed his cheek, but sadly it was. She walked straight to the table where Reymond was seated, she gave him a firm handshake and sat opposite to him- so it couldn't be a blind date he thought to himself.

"Um, why is she talking to your manager?" Neel asked.

"He won't tell me either!" Max complained.

"I'm so curious I can't just let it be." Neel sighed.

"Should we... no we shouldn't." Max shook his head.

"Yes we should. We have to eavesdrop!" Neel affirmed.

The two of them strained their eyes towards the table, as carefully as they possibly could. Max leaned forward, hoping to hear a little bit about what they were discussing. Just looking at their expressions, Reymond looked a lot more enthusiastic than Kalki did.

Her lips were pursed and eyebrows frowned, reminded him quite a lot about the absolute looks of disgust on her face when they were karting rivals. She tucked a lock of ebony hair as she nodded listening to him. Max could see, Reymond was clearly very passionate about whatever he was talking about and she was skeptical.

"What have you learnt?" Neel asked.

"Can't say for sure, she's not buying whatever he's saying. What did you hear?"

"I heard him say your name, and she laughed. That's all, they're literally whispering now I can't hear a word!"

"Forget it. It probably doesn't concern me at all." Max leaned back in his chair.

"She'll run her mouth to Anika or my parents, either way I'll find out and tell you." Neel smirked.

"It's just like the good old days." Max laughed, "Everyone minding their own business and our aims is to get on Kalki's last nerve."

"I wouldn't have it any other way." Neel laughed.

"Are you free this weekend?" Max asked him.

"Well, I am but you're definitely busy!"

"And I want you to be there! It's been years and it's time I get you to watch a race from my garage." Max smiled.

"No. Max! I can't possibly-"

"Of course you can! Tell me if you're off on Saturday too. Come to Netherlands, I know you love racing you'll love the atmosphere they create." He persuaded Neel.

"Ah! You win!"

The two went on planning their weekend, though in the corner of his eye Max was checking on Reymond's table. It appeared that their lunch had come to an end, Kalki once again stood up, shook his hand and left the restaurant without a glance in their direction.

"Her awareness skills are zero, she's a little slow that way." Neel teased his sister.

"Can't be, she used to literally gain positions on track because she'd attack when I wouldn't expect." Max found himself defending her, he couldn't believe his lips had just parted to praise that girl.

Clearly, Neel was in shock too. It wasn't everyday that Max would praise Sulky Kalki, especially not about how well she could drive.

♥ ... ♥

"Just tell me what she was doing there. And why were you in Antwerp?" Max asked.

"We're in the Netherlands now. I told you a hundred times, you'll know when I tell you." Reymond brushed him off.

Max was a little annoyed, but relieved too. In some time Neel would be here and he would dish him all the information he knew. Reymond may think withholding information would stop him, but if anything it made Max only more curious to know what was being kept away from him.

Evi wanted to go sightseeing before Max had to work, the couple walked around town occasionally being pulled aside for a selfie or two. She could tell that he wasn't mentally present here right now, she wanted to ask him what was on his mind without being too pushy.

"Do you want to get back to the hotel?" She asked him.

"Are you tired?" He asked.

"Not really, you don't seem to be enjoying so there's no point dragging you around." She stated plainly.

"I'm having fun!" He smiled giving her hand a kiss, "why did you think I'm not?"

"Your face Max. You're not very good at lying, it doesn't suit you either."

"I'm having a good time, I'm telling you." He huffed.

"This. This is the problem, you just don't like being confronted but you can't be honest to me either. What do you want me to do? I'm going insane-"

"Eve, let's not discuss this here. We should head back." He interrupted her.

She was clearly upset, he could tell from the way she plopped down in the car seat, pulled the door shut and tugged on her seatbelt. He extend his hand to tuck a lock of hair behind her ear that was clearly obstructing her view.

"Don't touch me." She smacked his hand away, eventually pushing back the strand of wavy brown hair.

This was not going to be an easy fire to douse, Max thought to himself. Apologising was definitely not going to cut it, he realised she was calling her mother both the women were speaking in rapid German. He couldn't decide if he should focus on hearing the conversation or the traffic ahead.

He could understand that she was talking about coming back home, on the first flight she could find. "Eve- Don't do that, can we please talk this out." He pleaded.

"I'm going back to Cologne, don't talk to me unless you have something to offer other than an apology. And don't call me Eve." She turned away from him, looking out of the window.

There was no stopping her, she packed her things and immediately left. She asked for a car to drive her to the nearest airport, Max realised she was hellbent on getting answers or going away.