Chapter 4

~meanwhile outside of blue lock~
Usagi pushed her way through crowds of people, desperate to hear the news about the project her sister is partaking in.

"Usagi, slow down!" Sugawara spoke, pushing through the crowd to catch up with usagi.

Usagi ignored him and kept squeezing through small spaces to reach the front of the audience. Finally, satisfied with where she stood, she sat in an empty seat, sugawara sitting beside her, out of breath.

"And thus, we have gathered 301 exceptional strikers from all over japan. In order to create a true striker capable of leading japan to its first world cup title. We call this the blue lock project." The balding man at the table spoke.

Usagi listened intently and thought '(y/n) will definitely win 100%.' Sugawara also listened to what the man was saying.

Usagi couldnt hear much but she could see by the look on the mans face that the news anchors up front were putting him under some serious pressure.

Suddenly the woman up front announced, "WELL THATS RIGHT!! THIS PROJECT WAS MADE TO FIX THE BROKEN FOOTBALL BEING PLAYED IN JAPAN! JAPANS NATIONAL FOOTBALL IS CREATING ITS OWN HERO!"

Usagi smiled picturing her big sister, (y/n), on TV beating everyone else at playing her favorite sport. She wants to be just like (y/n) when she grows up.

~at blue lock~

"Now onto the details of blue lock's first selection starting next week," Ego started, "The first selection will be between you, the 56 players of the fifth stratum consisting of a round-robin of the five teams within it. When all is said and done, only the top 2 teams will advance to the second selection. Its all-or-nothing."

"Huh? So youre saying that us 12 players from team z are playing? But arent we all forwards?" Your friend chigiri spoke up.

"Looks like we'll have to play other positions too.." you spoke up.

Everyone started debating on who would be center-forward. You didnt really care. Although you played center-forward the best, you could also play other positions well. You just hoped you wouldn't be the goalkeeper because you weren't very good with hand-eye coordination.

"Isn't that fine? Football is, at its core, a sport where one scores goals. It would be only natural for you all to play as forwards. You may have the positioning system and tactics that come with it ingrained in your foolish heads, but that is only one part of footballs long history. In the beginning, football was a sport played with every member as a forward." Ego began, "so our football will begin from that starting point. And from there, fix your knowledge of football from scratch."

You thought about the concept. It was an interesting point, but you knew that everyone trying to get at the ball would be pure chaos.

"Throw out what you think of as common sense. Reject it. And cram this new mentality deep down those brains of yours. The most important thing for japan to become the best country in the world is not the 'teamwork between 11 players'." Ego continued, "it is to have a 'hero' among them."

~outside of blue lock~

"And that is all" the woman said. The TV turned off. Usagi stood up and thanked the coffee shop employee for allowing them to use their TV.

"So then.... We wont see (y/n) for a while.." sugawara spoke.

Usagi and the coffee shop employee shook their heads.

"Its kinda boring not being able to start idle chat with (y/n) but this is what she wants to do.. so i cant wait for her to come back and tell me all about her time at blue lock," the purple haired woman at the counter said.

"Mhm," usagi agreed.

Usagi and sugawara left the coffee shop and walked back home to do their homework.

~at blue lock~

"One two three four i declare thumb war!" You and isagi shouted as you played thumb war out of sheer boredom.

After a while of your thumb colliding with isagi's, there was finally a victor.

You let out a groan of defeat as isagi proudly declared, "I win!"

"That was a practice round!" You said, determined to win the rematch.

"Sure, ill just keep winning!" Isagi said, his tone laced with confidence.

Authors note: sorry this chapter was shorter than usual 😅 but now you got more of an idea of the situation outside of blue lock... im probably going to upload a lot more today and be on a iffy schedule for a bit, after all this is my first fanfiction that i actually plan to stick to until i finish it.