Chapter 1

My alarm went off at its daily 5:00 AM; I sat up, shut it off, sighed, and rubbed my eyes. I looked over at my wife and smiled. I leaned over, kissed her on the cheek, and waited. She opens her big brown eyes and smiles.

"Hi," she says.

"Hi," I say back, my smile getting more prominent. "Thanks for last night," she closed her eyes and smiled brighter.

"You're very welcome," she whispered. Pulling the red comforter off of me, I put my feet onto the soft carpet floor. I stood up and felt around for my underwear, found them after a minute or two, and put them on. Then I went into the bathroom, flipped the light on, looked in the mirror, and rubbed my brown beard.

"Today's another day to make money," I told myself. Every morning for the past twelve years, I've said that to myself. I splashed cold water on my face, dried off, shut the light off, and went downstairs into the laundry room. Opening the dryer, I fished for my new suit and tie. Five minutes later, I found it, put it on, and returned to my room to get a pair of socks. I walked in, and my wife looked at me.

"Do you have a meeting today?" She asked.

"Unfortunately, yes," I said, opening my sock drawer. Once I opened it, I began looking for my only pair of black socks.

"Who is it with today?" She asked. Finding my black pair of socks, I sat on the bed and slipped them on.

" It's with Ashton Pierce. I have to fire him." I said awkwardly. She sat up in bed.

" Why do you have to fire him?" She asked me.

" We have someone that can fulfill his spot better than he can; the person we have on hold is more prepared and experienced." I justified.

" Ashton's a hard worker." She defended.

" I know he is, but the new guy is a better fit." She scooted down to the edge of the bed and put her hand on my shoulder.

" Have you thought about what that will do to his family?..." She said in her soft, gentle voice.

" Yeah... It's a hard decision to make, but I have to. Axel's Mighty Machinery won't last if I don't hire this guy!" I said, looking into her eyes. She looked down in disappointment.

" Well, I know you will do the right thing." She said, patting my shoulder, taking the comforter off, and standing up. She put her blue jeans on and her yellow T-shirt from last night and went downstairs. I sat there thinking to myself for a moment.

Why am I here? Because I had to do things that helped me. I thought to myself. I went downstairs into the kitchen, where a cup of black coffee awaited me. I gladly took the cup and disappeared into the front door hallway. Then I slipped on my black business shoes, grabbed my suitcase, and opened the door.

" Love you, honey! I'll see you tonight!" I yelled.

" Love you too! Have a great day! Do what's right!" She yelled back. I closed the front door and walked down the white stairs and along the sidewalk. I opened the black gate and walked to the curb where my white suburban awaited me. I put my suitcase in the back seat and went over to the driver's side, hopped in, pulled the keys out, put them into the ignition, and started the car.

Damn it, I forgot my phone. I thought to myself, opening the driver's door and hopping out. I closed the door, entered the house, and went up the stairs into my room. Grabbing my Samsung 5s off the charge, I ran down the stairs back to the car. I drove to my factory and parked the car. I went into the doors and up to my office. I opened the door and walked into the spiffy office room, sat down in the tall leather chair behind the brown oak desk. I swallowed hard and rubbed my eyes, my wife's words going through my head.