Chapter 13

We were out on the road again, and I had to drive since Kellin and the others were drinking in the back.

"Oh shit, yes! This is the best damn beer I've had in such a long time!" Chase screamed.

"We had better beer at the bar!" Wren snorted. They both laughed. I couldn't help but laugh at how stupid they were being. A walker appeared in the headlights of my car as I swerved out of the way of hitting it. There was a loud clang as the men in the back slammed into the wall of the metal truck. They erupted into laughter as they went into a drunken haze.

"You made me spill my beer, you ass!" Brad said hazily. I chuckled to myself as we drove on and on down the road.
*** 10 hours later****
When we got back into the city of Augusta, I couldn't believe my eyes at what I saw. Hoards of walkers had compiled at the entrance. I stopped the car as the morning sunlight glowed against their bodies. I looked back at the sleeping men with empty bottles rolling around beside them.

I'll be quick. I hopped out of the truck, grabbed my bag and rifle, and swiftly moved across the grass and over to a nearby house. I peeked into the window in the living room, covered in blood. A walker limped lazily around the room. The smell was becoming strong as the undead were starting to rot in the sunlight. I opened the door as quietly as possible and shut it, pulling my fire axe from the side pocket and grasping it tightly in my hands. I glided across the kitchen silently and into the living room, setting the gun down hard to get her attention. The walker was a woman with a bloody overcoat and a large hole in her head, revealing the pink brain inside.
I wanted to throw up at the sight, but I held my ground as she started towards me. She groaned and flailed her arms at me. I took a hefty swing at her head, and the axe knocked her off her feet, slamming the ground hard. I tried to yank the axe from her skull but couldn't manage as the blood oozed out onto the red carpet. Creaking came from the stairs as footsteps lightly tapped. I looked at the wooden staircase as another walker went around the corner. Her corpse chatters her teeth from time to time. She limped down the stairs like she was drunk. My eyes got wide as she continued towards me. I pulled with all my might on the axe, wiggling it around. She was only about 12 feet from me when I finally managed to free the axe. She lunged at me as I smacked her in the face with the butt of the axe. She fell into a lamp, knocking it off the side table and onto the floor to shatter into a million pieces. She quickly got to her feet and attempted to attack me again. I slammed into her with the side of the axe, knocking her over the side table and into the glass window. The window shattered as she fell out onto the wooden deck.

"Oh... Shit..." I whispered under my breath. The walker got to her feet and climbed through the window slowly. I heaved the heavy axe over my shoulder and swung it into her head, shattering her skull and splashing blood along the blue wall. Her body fell lifelessly onto the window sill. I peeked out the broken window at the hoard of walkers coming towards where I was at. "Oh no," I murmured, trying to think of a plan. I ran into the kitchen, grabbed the wooden table, smashed the legs off it, and slid it into the living room, placing it over the large hole in the window. The first walker slammed into the wooden barricade and growled. "No! No! Go away!" I screamed, realizing this could be the end. I never got to kiss my wife one last time. I thought of her beautiful eyes as she gazed upon me, wishing I hadn't left the armory. Expecting the world hadn't gone to shit. The hoard had reached the table and was pressing hard against it. I couldn't hold it, letting go and sprinting up the stairs. The table slammed against the carpet, allowing the walkers to limp in after me. I pulled the 44. Magnum from my pocket and aimed. I pulled the trigger, pop! "One" Pop! "Two" pop! "Three" pop! "Four" pop! "Five" pop! "Six," I counted as the bullet shells flew from the gun. I ran upstairs, and into the first room I saw. I shut the door quietly and locked it, holding tightly to the door as if grasping the door would make them go away. I was in a bedroom with an unmade queen-sized bed. The covers were unorganized and all over the bed and the floor. The fan was running in the dark green room. The curtains were shut, and there was a Television in the room. I walked over to the nightstand, where I saw a picture of a man and someone I assumed was his wife. I walked to the other side of the bed and instantly fell to the ground at the sight of the man in the picture lying face down on the brown carpet. My breathing was heavy as my heart rate raced. I got to my feet and tapped the man. "Sir?" He didn't respond; he was wearing blue shorts and a T-shirt. I rolled his body over to reveal maggots running through the maze of his intestines; he had a bullet in his brain. I threw up once again; the smell of death had overwhelmed my nose. They were crushing his corpse as they feasted on his insides. I jumped at the sound of walkers slamming against the door. I fought my breath as I opened the curtain to reveal a small roof on the other side of the window.

Opportunity. I slid the window open, climbed out onto the small roof, and took a deep breath of fresh air. I shut the window and sat down on the top, letting my feet dangle off the side. I looked out upon the large city as the sun reflected against the tall glass buildings. I hopped down and tuck-rolled into the grass. I walked back into the house, picked up my rifle, and quickly got out and headed into an ally on the side of town. I walked through the damp, vacant partner over to the gate that blocked off the outside world from Augusta. I opened the creaky gate and went out along the empty road. I walked over to my factory doors, which were now shattered; the gate was pried open with a crowbar, which lay next to the door.

"Damn raiders," I said to myself, walking up the metal stairs and into the dark office. There was a note on the table; the handwriting was sloppy, but it was readable.

Thomas, the power is out throughout the entire city; please, if you get this note, remember I love you and will meet you here. -Mom

I sat down in my black leather chair, threw the red jacket that was lying on it and closed my eyes.

I'm going to get through this.