Chapter 15

I walked into the room where Veronica's body lay still, dead. I sighed a long sigh as I saw Sarah's body curled in a ball on the ground in Nikolai's arms. I tiptoed over to her and shook her softly. She turned her head and opened her eyes. When she saw me, her eyes widened, and she instantly jumped to her feet and into my arms.

"Oh my god! Axel! We have been here for days! We didn't know where to go or what to do!" Sarah screamed. Nikolai got to his feet and walked over to me.

"She was shivering... I didn't want her to die." He explained.

"It's okay, you were saving her," I said, chuckling. Luis stood to his feet and peeked out the door.

"Guys... We... Need food... I'm starving..." He said, limping out the vault door. I turned over to the others lying on the ground.

"Hey. Let's go, guys." I said.

"Don't bother... They are dead." Nikolai said coldly.

"How..." I asked.

"Starvation. Selena never returned." He said. My eyes widened as I remembered Selena. I ran out of the vault and out of the police station towards the back, where four walkers waited for me. I yanked the fire axe from the side loop of my backpack and quickly splattered them. I saw Selena's body still lying where it was before we left. I sprinted to her, getting down on my hands and knees to shake her.

"Selena!" I screamed, trying to wake her up. She was unresponsive; I shook her until I was bawling my eyes out. Footsteps came up behind me; I quickly pulled my pistol from my belt and pointed it at Nickolai, who put his hands up and backed up.

"Woah... Axel..." He said as he watched tears flow down my face. Unresponsively, I slid the gun back into my pocket and started away from Selena's corpse. "Where are you going? What about Selena?" I didn't respond to his question; I walked past the police station and onto the street. I pulled my gun from my pocket, checked the ammo, and clicked it back into the place. I watched as walkers limped around lazily in the street. I whistled loudly, getting their attention. They started towards me as I looked down my sights and began shooting them down. Unloading the clip, I threw the gun down and sprinted at the last two walkers in the street. I kicked one of them to the ground and punched the other in the face. The rotten flesh instantly swallowed my hand. The walker fell to the ground, taking me with it. I ripped my hand from its head, splattering blood all over my shirt. The other walker groaned as it got to its feet. I stood to my feet, sprinted up to it, and jumped up, superman punching it. It fell back to the ground as I hopped on top of it and started beating its skull into the ground.

"What the hell are you doing..." Sarah asked. I stood up sheepishly and looked at her, tears in my eyes. I hugged her and whispered in her ear.

"I love you..." She didn't hug me back. She just waited for me to be done. I stepped back and looked into her eyes. They were filled with pain. "What's wrong?..." She turned away and walked back to the jail.

"Let's go, get the stuff together," Sarah said, walking into the building. Nikolai stared into my eyes as I realized I had food in the truck. My eyes widened as I realized...

I left the guys... I turned and sprinted away from the jail.

"Hey! Where are you going?" Nikolai screamed at me, starting towards me.

"Don't follow me!" I screamed back. I ran down the long street road and into the ally. I ran out of the city and past the house to the truck, still parked on the outskirts of town. I started towards it when someone unfamiliar hopped out of the back of the car. I got down on my stomach and waited.

"Come on, let's go." The man demanded, pulling a body with a bag over its head out of the back of the truck. I looked through the scope of the cold rifle in my hands at the man holding one of my men hostage. The sight was aimed at his head; I could pull the trigger and blow his head off right there and now.