Chapter 2

I came down the stairs, radio in hand, and looked upon the group.

"Where is Bill?" I asked the group. They looked around at each other, then back at me.

"Bill didn't come into work today..." A woman said.

"What's your name, ma'am?" I asked, ignoring my frustration.

"Selena, Selena Thornton, why? When will I be able to call my family? I left my phone in my car," She said, pushing her black glasses onto her green eyes.

"I need you to take my keys and lock the back door; we don't need a murderer to shoot us like they did that woman... We will call our families in a moment." I told her, throwing her my keys. She caught them and went to the back. A white man came forward.

"Sir, we want to leave; we must ensure our families aren't involved. We can't get ahold of them on the phones." He said. I looked out the bloody glass door at what seemed thousands of people were still sprinting down the street. Just then, a police officer slammed against the glass.

"Axel, Help! Let me in! Please! They are coming fast!" He screamed. My breath became heavy.

"Let him in! He's my brother! Let him in; open the gate now!" I demanded, running down the stairs to the gate. Just then, a man in a green hood came behind my brother and pulled a metal bat from his backpack.

"Jonathan, look out!" I screamed, unlatching the gate. He turned around and hit him in the stomach; he fell to his knees and screamed as the bat slammed into his back.

"Give me your gun!" The man screamed, hitting him again. He fell on his stomach and became unresponsive. The man searched him and found his gun. I slid the gate open and turned to the group.

"Give me a pipe!" I screamed, holding out my hand. A red-headed man gave me a metal pipe. I opened the door as the green-hooded man sprinted down the street. I chased after him down the sidewalk. Geen Hood jumped over the curb into the street, suddenly being struck by a rusty pickup truck. His body skidded across the road onto the opposite side of the road as the car screeched to a stop.

"Go! Go! Go!" One of the guys in the truck's bed yelled, slamming the top of the rusty metal truck. The truck tires slid on the blacktop, producing smoke, then sped up and drove down the street out of town. I just stared at the man's unresponsive body on the sidewalk. Just then, an aggressive hand grabbed my shoulder, their nails digging into my shoulder. I screamed and elbowed the figure in the nose; it released its grip on me, giving me the chance to turn around. It was a brown-haired man, and he came at me again.

"Hey! Back off!" I yelled, dodging his lunge at me. He screeched, turned around, and charged at me. I sprinted down the congested sidewalk, shoving people to the side. As I pushed through the crowd, I heard comments like.

"He's bleeding!"

"Look out, it's one of them!"

"Kill it!" I ran back to my factory, opened the door, and shut it. The man slammed into the bloody glass, scratching at it. I held the door to keep it from coming in.

"Hey! Close the gate!" I demanded. Selena ran over and slid the gate to the latch. She waited for me to slide through the small space and then latched it shut. I bent over and gasped for air.

"What happened out there?" Selena asked. Some of the group came over to me.

"That crazy man scratched me!" I said, pointing to him. He continued to slam on the glass. I noticed that the streets were empty now, except for unresponsive bodies and blood. Selena examined my shoulder, seeing that blood was soaking through my suit.