Chapter 22

I followed the group into the first gate, where the woman led us to another large gate; this one had guards on the top with guns.

"They are good." The woman said to one of the guards. The guard nodded and pressed a button, opening the gate. I followed the group once again into a town that looked normal. Kids running around in the streets, people sitting on the porches, people talking on the sidewalks.

"Where are we going?" Jack asked the woman.

"We are going to our courthouse, where we will evaluate you." She responded. Altogether there were about 20 people in the group of us. Taylor grabbed my hand as we walked. I looked at her, looking back at me.

"I'm scared." She said softly.

"It's gonna be okay," I said. We walked about a quarter of a mile down the long road, houses lined down until we came to a large Quartz building with limestone stairs.

"Holy shit." An African-American man in a black stalking cap said as we approached the building.

"This is our courthouse." The woman said, walking up the stairs. "Soldier, you are first." Jack looked at the group, who looked back at the group.

"Stay here; if anything happens, you run, shoot anyone in your sights." He ordered. I grabbed my holstered weapon, concealed in the back of my pants, behind my shirt. Jack went up the stairs and into the courthouse. He was in there for about thirty minutes until he walked back out. "You are next, Becky," Rick said, looking at a younger blonde woman. She walked up the stairs and into the building. This cycle continued until every last one of us was taken in. No one talked about what happened inside; the only thing they said was, "You're next." It came down to Michael, the African American, Taylor, and I.

"Hey, what's your name?" I asked the African-American man.

"My name is Terrence," he said, holding his hand.

"Axel," I said, shaking his hand.

"How long were you two out there all alone?" Terrence asked.

"About four days," Taylor answered.

"We're your bit?" Michael asked.

"No," I said.

"Then what's the bandage on your chest for?" Michael asked, pointing to the bandage sticking out of my open shirt.

"I was stabbed, a needle with a liquid in it," I said.

"What kind of liquid?" Terrence said, with a discerned look on his face.

"I-I don't know..." I told him.

"Oh..." He said. Just then, an older lady with short grey hair came down the steps.

"Terrence, it's your turn." She said.

"Thanks, Sarah." He said, putting his hand on her shoulder as he went up. I had a painful shock of Sarah and me on our honeymoon.

She looked so beautiful as the moonlight glistened off of her. I couldn't help but stare at her glazed-over eyes. Then she came back, turning to me. We were staring into each other's eyes.

"What's going to happen if anything bad happens to me?" She asked jokingly; I took her hand.

"Nothing's going to happen to you. I will always be there to protect you. I said, rubbing my thumb over her hand.

"I know." She said, biting her bottom lip. It felt as if her mouth was saying she knew, but inside, she was perturbed. I leaned in, kissed her once, and came back to reality.