Chapter 10

I drove out of the parking lot of the hospital and onto the street, where I was met by an overwhelming amount of bullets smashing the windshield.

Shit... I looked out the shattered window at the four snipers on the roof; I pulled the 44. Magnum from my pocket and shot up at them; they got down and took cover as I drove off down the road. Bullets pelted the back of the military truck as the soldiers shot their automatic weapons at the car. I turned the corner and was met by a group of five stragglers. They slipped their hands up as I stopped the truck.

"Hey, we are friendly... Can we ride with you?" One of the men said. He was Chinese and wore a white socks hat; he wore an anti-government shirt under a blue flannel. He had a gun slung over his shoulder. The other four had bloody baseball bats in their hands.

"Drop your weapons," I demanded. The Chinese man looked at the others; he slipped the rifle off his shoulder and set it on the ground. I quickly reloaded my 44. Magnum and pushed the clip back into position. I hopped out of the truck and pointed the gun at the four with bats. "Drop them," I said, gesturing with my gun to set the weapons on the road. The man did as I said and stood back up. "Slide them over," I said. The Chinese man slid his rifle over to me; it was a simple semi-automatic sniper. The four men slid their bats over to me, and I picked them up, throwing them in the front of the truck. I came back around. "Take your bags off and hand them to me." They did as I said, and I threw them in the front of the truck. "Do you have any weapons in your pocket?"

"No." The Chinese man said.

"Where did you just come from?" I asked.

"We just woke up from being drunk in the bar... All we have is beer in the bags." He said. I shook one of the bags to find that the clinking of bottles sounded.

"Climb in the back," I said, walking to the back, pulling the military-grade weaponry out, and throwing them in the front. The five men eagerly ran to the back and hopped in. I drove down the road and took a left, where I was met by destroyed cars stacked up on top of each other. A soldier scaled the wall with his assault rifle. He looked at me and hopped down, coming up to the window. I rolled it down and waited.

"You have to go to the town entrance; it's on the north side; you are on the west side." He said, pointing me in the direction where I could leave.

"Okay, thanks," I said, backing up and pulling out.

I drove to the large military fence, where two guards opened the wall. I moved out, and they instantly started shooting at the truck. The Chinese man slammed on the glass window.

"Help! They are shooting at us!" He screamed. I shattered the small window he spoke through and handed him a pistol.

"Shoot them and hand it back!" I screamed. He took the pistol and shot at the men. He fired multiple shots until there was a click.

"Out of ammo!" He said. I turned the corner onto a highway, and we drove away from the town. He slid the gun back into the front seat and sat down.

***7 hours later***

Daylight began to fade as we reached Maine once again. We stopped for gas three times, but surprisingly, people didn't take all the gas. It's like there is a generator running full power all over the world. We haven't seen very many cars that are running; I think that these people will help me. I pulled into a sizeable 20-story hotel and parked the car.

"What's going on?" The Chinese man asked.

"We are gonna sleep here, okay?" I asked.

"Yes. Yes, this will work." One of the four men said. I hopped out of the front seat onto the black gravel. The men in the back hopped out and walked over to me.

"My name is Chase." The Chinese man said.

"Axel," I said, shaking his hand.

"This is Brad," Chase pointed to a man with a black beard and a green T-shirt; his jeans were covered in blood. "Kellin Quinn," he pointed to a young man with long brown hair; he had tattoos all down his arms, his brown eyes glistening in the moonlight. He had a smile on his face as if he loved the undead.

"Hey... I know you..." I said to Kellin, trying to remember where he was from.

"Yeah, I was famous before this shit happened." He said. Then I remembered.

"I went to your concert in Amsterdam!" I exclaimed, putting my hand out to shake his.

"Yeah, thanks, man." He said, shaking my hand.

"This is Wren," Chase said, pointing to another Chinese man. "He's my brother, and this is Albert; he's a scientist." I shook both of their hands and shut the truck door.

"Alright, well, let's get going?" I said, turning and walking up to the entrance. I peeked into the window at the multiple sleeping bags and black garbage bags lining the floor. We went through the spinning doors, walked to the garbage bags, and found food.

Thank god. I grabbed a bag and walked over to the front desk. Setting the bag down, I hopped over the counter. I grabbed two keys and jumped back around, holding the bag and leading the group toward the elevator, where a body was lying against the elevator door. It was a man with a bullet in his brain; he hadn't turned. I looked at the key cards 417 and 418. I pushed the up button as the elevator hummed and came down to our floor. The door opened to a group of walkers. They looked at us with their blank expressions and came at us. Kellin kicked one of them into the wall inside the elevator, throwing the bag of food down. The Walker fell to the ground and struggled to its feet. Chase punched one of them in the nose, his fist smashed its skull, and it fell to the ground, bringing chase with it. Another walker started towards Chase.

"Help me!" He screamed, trying to yank his fist from its skull. Kellin tackled the other and walked into the elevator, and the elevator closed, leaving Kellin with three other walkers. He slammed his fists against the inside of the elevator. Albert also slammed his fists against the door.

"Kellin!" He screamed. He turned to me and grunted. "This is your fucking fault!" He shoved me into the wall and started punching me. My vision began to blur as the blows became more frequent. I grabbed his arm, but being exhausted, he quickly yanked his arm away and kept punching me. Wren tackled him off of me and held him down.

"It's not his fault!" Wren screamed. Chase finally yanked his fist out of its skull and looked down the long hallway at a group of men and women with guns. I held my nose as blood dribbled down onto my shirt.

"Uhh... Wren." Chase said, staring at the men and women as they approached us.

"You can't keep doing this!" Wren said.

"Wren!" Chase screamed. I looked over, and my expression turned cold as a man hit Chase in the face, knocking him to the ground.

"Get down on the ground, raiders." The man said in his Texan accent. The others came up behind him. A young man came up to me and hit me in the face; that was all I could take, and I closed my eyes and fell asleep. Unconsciousness never felt so good.