Chapter 19

The days went by: food and water three times a day, two bathroom breaks, and total isolation. Chuck got out two days before my sentence was over. I sat there chained up on my last day in the "box," as they called it. I sat, patiently waiting for them to come in and let me out. I tapped my foot over and over again against the cement. I was staring into the dim light of the flashlight hanging from the ceiling. Just then, the door opened, and David appeared in the doorway.

"Hey there." He said, holding a gun in his hand. I didn't say a word to him. He shut the door and leaned against it. "Still not talking?" I just looked into his eyes through the cracked glass. "Well, your sentence is over, and you can come out." He said, pulling a key from his small pocket on his waist. He reached behind me, unlocking my handcuffs. I pulled my hands out and rubbed them in relief. I stood to my feet, struggling after a week of being unable to use my legs. He opened the door and led me out. I entered the garage, where a car, backpack, and food sat.

"W-what is this...?" I asked, turning to him.

"I'm sorry, but the group does not think you are safe enough to be in our group." He said, slightly smiling. I felt my anger begin to rise.

"Can I say goodbye to Taylor and Kristy?" I asked.

"Yeah... Sure." David said, taking me into the other room where I started. I looked around the now swept room at the people in camouflaged hazmat suits. But something was different about them. They all had numbers on their backs. "They are 26 and 27." I found them in the corner, setting up food supplies.

"Taylor?" I asked, touching 26s shoulder.

"Yeah... Oh my god..." Taylor said, turning to me and hugging me.

"Thought they killed you. We weren't allowed to go back there." Taylor explained.

"They are kicking me out," I explained.

"They what?" Taylor asked, her eyes shocked.

"They are kicking me out of the building. They gave me food, water and my backpack, a car, and I have to leave." I said.

"I'm... I'm coming with you..." Taylor said.

"No... It's okay...this is a good place, safe... Something you haven't had in a while..." I said, putting my hands on her shoulders.

"I-I can't let you leave alone... You will die out there!" She explained; I could tell she was becoming angry with me.

"We all have to die sometime... But your time isn't now..." I said, turning away from her and back to David. David looked at Taylor as she began to cry.

"He will be alright. He's tough." David said, patting me on the back. I followed him back into the garage, where he handed me the keys to the car.

"Where's Chuck?" I asked.

"We sent him out into the world also," David said, with a smile in his eyes. I scowled at him, turning to the green sedan and unlocking the door. "Wait, Axel." I turned to David, who held a green hazmat suit and a long needle with a foggy liquid. "Use these when you are out there. You are infected right now, and this will cure you."

"Thanks," I said, slipping the suit on. The inside smelled of cigarettes and vodka. I pushed the mask over my mouth and breathed into it, sending junk down my throat. I coughed a few times until it went down my throat.

"Sorry, that one is a bit old," David said, turning away. I rolled my eyes and slipped the hood over my head, throwing my supplies into the front seat. I went around the car and got into the driver's seat, shutting the door.

"You are going to need to go quick! They are trying to get in and out. I can only hold them for a minute." David said, opening the circuit board. I looked in the back seat at a military-grade M29 sniper rifle and a box of ammo. "Ready?" He screamed. I raised my finger in confirmation on the steering wheel. He pressed the button, and the garage began to open. Revealing a large group of walkers piled up together like cattle. "Go! Go! Go!" David said, putting up his pistol and providing cover fire. I pressed the acceleration as hard as possible, feeling the tires screeching beneath me.
The car roared to life and out of the garage, smashing the corpses over and over again. The bodies continued to roll over my car as I hit them, over and over again. I looked back at the garage as Taylor watched me leave. The garage was shutting as I pulled into the street; it was daytime. I looked around as I hit the brakes to turn. I turned onto a road with a school bus tipped over, a small park on my right side, and buildings around me, forming a square in town. There was a church about 80 feet from where I was. I drove over the curb, through the grass, and over to the church; I stopped the car, took the keys out, grabbed the M29, the ammo, and my bag, and got out of the vehicle. I walked up to the front door and tried to push it open, but nothing.