Chapter 29

I awoke to the sound of screaming outside the door. I heard running and the sound of gunshots.

"Sarah, I'm..." I started, turning to an empty bedside. My heart raced as I tried to find out what had happened. I climbed out of my bed, pulled my pistol from my backpack pocket, and walked over to the door, my hand on the trigger. I opened the door to find Chuck firing his semi-automatic rifle down the hallway. Blood was splattered along the wall, along with several bodies. "What the hell is going on?" I asked over the sound of shots.

"Bout two hundred walkers broke into the exit door!" Chuck said between his teeth. He was holding a full clip between his teeth as he fired. I stepped into the hallway barefoot, feeling the empty casings under my feet. "Get back in there and put some clothes on!" I realized I was in my underwear, running back into the room. I slipped on my old pair of jeans, T-shirt, and Sweatshirt. I picked up my bag and slung it over my shoulder, stepping back into the hallway. Walkers were filling the hallway as we shot them down.

"Where's Sarah?" I asked, pulling the trigger multiple times.

"Don't know! They all ran in the opposite direction! Your father said he was going to take them somewhere safe and that I should stay here and kill them off!" Chuck explained.

"Oh..." I said as the trigger clicked, empty.

"Your fathers a coward!" Chuck screamed, unclipping his empty magazine and inserting his new one. Although it was my father, it was true. I watched as the walkers were now about eight feet from us.

"Let's go!" I said, turning to run into the lab.

"No! We have to fight them off!" Chuck said, hitting a lunging Walker with the butt of his gun. The Walker hit the wall with a loud groan, spitting blood onto the carpet. It started to get back up when a group of bullets flew into its head, sending it to the ground. I turned around to find two military men, one Asian and one white, standing with their guns aimed. I couldn't tell if they were aiming at us or the walkers. Chuck turned around and raised his weapon.

"Drop your weapon!" The Asian screamed. I didn't know what to do, whether to raise my weapon and fire or to drop my gun.

"We have a problem! Help us out!" Chuck screamed back, turning to fire at another lunging Walker. The two men seemed very frightened by what they saw; they both wore desert storm armor and had two automatic assault rifles.

"Drop! Your! Mother-" The Asian man was interrupted by the sound of two bullets going into his chest from my weapon. The other man looked at me, the barrel of his gun doing the same. I pulled the trigger, sending two more shots out and into the still-standing man. He fell backward and onto the floor, leaving the opportunity for us to escape.

"Come on, Chuck!" I screamed over the echoing of bullets in the lab. The hoard was now only about six feet from us.

"Fine! Let's go! I know where they are waiting for us!" Chuck said, running into the lab. I followed close behind him, looking over my shoulder for a few seconds to ensure we weren't being followed. He led us up the stairs and past the elevator to a door with the word, stairs on it. The door was a latch door; Chuck slammed the door open and ran up the steps. I could tell he was tired by how he was breathing and how slow he had become. When we reached the top of the stairs, he ran through the door and down the hall. I turned to where we had entered the night before, noticing a more significant hoard than before coming close to us.

"Oh, no!" I screamed, running faster than before. My lungs burned as I was never on the track team, and I hated running. I caught up to Chuck, who was now walking. "Come on, come on, come on," I said, pushing him forward. We reached the end of the hallway, where a door with two men awaited us. I looked back to find the hoard catching up to us.

"Woah! You guys took them with you as a souvenir or something?" One of the men asked, pushing us inside the glass doors. They shut the doors and entered a garage where a truck awaited us. I looked around with no sight of Sarah.

Oh no... Not again... I thought, turning towards the glass doors to find the hoard cracking the glass.

"Let's go Axel! She's gone!" Chuck screamed, hopping into the bed of the truck. Our group and two other scientists were in the bed, and my father and two other men sat in the front. My heart was crushed; I didn't know what to think or do. I stood for a few moments, trying to come up with a plan, when I was shoved towards the truck by Chuck. "Let's go!" Just then, the glass broke, allowing the walkers inside. Chuck had his back turned to the walkers who came up behind him. One of the walkers gripped his neck and took a large chunk out of it, spraying blood everywhere. He screamed in terror, shoving the Walker off of him. I watched in terror, my eyes wide. "Go! I'll hold them off!" He screamed, pulling out his gun. He knew he didn't have a chance of survival, even if he were to make it out alive. I ran to the truck, jumping in just as it started to pull out. I watched as the hoard overcame Chuck and was being torn apart. I couldn't cry; I just stared, knowing that calling wouldn't help. I could hear people around me weeping at the loss of their leader. This wasn't just your average sickness anymore. We were fighting the dead, fighting others, killing, watching people be killed. This is our life now. We don't have a home to go back to, we will have to make a new one. These are the End Days.

----

Hope you guys loved my book! I will be started the second book to the series between now and summer! I will be sure to publish more often for people then! Please be sure to comment and share my story to the world, and thank you! -W.V