Chapter 28

I awoke to the abrupt sound of gnarling teeth and groaning. I sat up, looking through the shattered window at the rotting flesh creeping through. My heart jumped, forcing me to fall back against the wall.

"Hey, we are here!" Austin exclaimed, chuckling.

"Everyone, stay together in circle formation! We need to get Axel to the door! Once we reach the door, it is up to everyone to stay alive! Every man for himself at that point. Got it?" Chuck asked, putting the vehicle into park. M16s were being handed back to the group. "Alright! Move out!" I looked through the back window at the enormous crowd of walkers approaching the van. Looking out upon the city, a grey, gloomy cloud roared with thunder over the deteriorating city. The side door to the truck opened, and instantly, gunshots echoed into the air. I sprung out of my daze and moved to the front; hopping to the ground, I was immediately engulfed by a circle of people shooting the undead before us. Broken-down military equipment sat before us as we approached the large cement building. I watched as one of our men was restrained by a walker. The Walker took him to the ground, taking a massive chunk out of his shoulder. I tried to run towards him but was stopped by someone grabbing my collar.

"Leave him! Keep moving!" Chuck screamed, leading the crowd. We reached the large metal door, and Chuck slammed the "call" button as hard as he could.

"Hello?" The voice answered.

"We have your son!" Chuck screamed over the sound of bullets. I watched as the walkers continued to get closer to us. Austin was reloading his weapon when a walker came up to him, grabbing him by the shoulders. He tried to back away from the creature with no luck. I grabbed the Walker by the neck, throwing it off of Austin. Punching it in the jaw, I sent it to the ground. Austin looked at me, and with the nod of his head, I knew he was eternally grateful.

"Get in!" The voice screamed as the door creaked open. A very bright light seeped through the opening of the door. Together, we ran into the door, still pelting bullets at the undead. I watched as the door shut, leaving the undead to scratch at the door. "Welcome to Junction 221. Follow the path with lights down to the elevator." I watched as a hallway was illuminated with lights leading down.

"Let's go," Chuck said, walking down the hall. We all followed behind to the end of the light, turning the corner where an elevator awaited us.

I don't know if Chuck is using me. Or what? I thought to myself as we crammed the twelve into the small elevator. When we reached the bottom floor, which took five minutes, a man with short, buzzed brown hair looked at us. He wore glasses that covered his chocolate brown eyes and a lab coat with the initial J. Carter on the vest.

"Where's Axel?" Carter asked, looking in the crowd.

"He's right here," Chuck said, making an opening so I could walk through. When he saw me, his face turned to a sad sob.

"Son." He said, putting out his arms. I walked out of the elevator, up to him, raising my fist, putting all my momentum into my back foot, and busting his nose. He fell backward down a small flight of stairs.

"You expect me to be like "daddy!" And hug you? Hell no! You left me! Left mom!" I screamed, my voice echoing through the entire room. Everyone was now staring at me. Carter stood to his feet and rubbed his now bloody nose.

"Wow. You pack a punch..." He said, looking up at me. Picking up his glasses, He walked up the stairs and looked into my eyes. "I didn't leave you. I was watching over you the entire time... Do you know why the military didn't kill you that one night when you were handcuffed to the chair? They didn't get you because I was there. Your mother kicked me out... She said I was going to kill you in my scientific environment. I didn't want to leave... And I was at her funeral. I was watching from afar. You know that I cared a lot about your mother... You know that Axel... " I didn't know what to say, so I stared into his eyes for a long while, then responded.