♡ 2

CHAPTER 2

~Y/N's POV~

Ringing. Incessant ringing, day in and day out. You'd think I'd be used to it after four years in this never-ending shitstorm, but the sound still made me cringe. The most recent call was the most bothersome of them all. My darling brother Jimin. He had narrowly escaped the clutches of our father only by throwing me to the wolves. The responsibility of taking over the company. Yet he had the audacity to call me to complain about his vacation.

Yes, I was a bit bitter, but I had also come to terms with my situation. Father wouldn't take Jimin back as a candidate for CEO even if he begged him. Jimin had all but assured that by acting out against him at any chance he could. Even so, our father made sure to remind me every so often that I was nothing more than a last resort. He was past the age to bare anymore heirs, but if it was up to him, he would never have a woman in charge.

That sentiment was something that stuck in my head life a knife. Not good enough. Four years in my position, and I had done incredibly well. Our stock was up, we had taken control of more brands, developed countless new product lines, expanded into new markets, but still, not good enough. So, it became my life mission to prove my worth. Obsession turned to passion, and I found myself actually enjoying the job in some ways. Though, I'd never admit it.

Perhaps, that was where I got my twisted idea of what was 'good enough'. I knew the gossip that spread amongst the staff about me. They viewed me as a merciless, cold-hearted woman. I wasn't. I wanted to smile, to be delicate and tender, to express my emotion- but I couldn't. I couldn't give my father a reason to view me as incompetent. A man would never, Y/N. So, I played the role I was assigned. That merciless, cold-hearted CEO.

"Are you even listening to me, Y/N?" Jimin whined on the phone line. I had almost forgotten he was there.

"Yes, I am very sorry that it rained on you, brother," I answered him with a deep exhale. I'd paid just enough attention to give him a vague response.

"Do you even love me, my baby sister?" he pouted, making clearly faked crying noises.

"Ugh, yes," I snapped back. Realizing the harshness my tone, I offered a quick apology. "I'm just stressed, sorry..."

Jimin's voice turned serious. "I am really sorry, you know that?" He cleared his throat. "Everything I did- I didn't ever think that father would force the CEO position on you...I thought he would just figure it out once I became a less than viable option."

Guilt panged in my chest hearing him get emotional. I knew he never wished this on me. I knew that. It wasn't his fault for how things turned out. He just wanted to live his own life, too. Unburdened. "I know, Jiminie."

"I heard Secretary Min is leaving the company," Jimin chuckled, trying to change the subject. His best efforts to provide me a happier topic to chat about were failed.

"Don't remind me," I sighed, dejected. "I gave that bastard a salary most people could only dream of, and he saved it all up just so he could escape me."

"You know he only took the job because he wanted to help you. He had goals to start his own company."

Jimin was right. Yoongi was my childhood friend; we'd grown up together as our families were close. He accepted the position as my secretary as a favor to me- because I was scared. It was comforting having some form of familiarity while I was entering into a strange new world. But I'd stolen his time for too long, two years longer than he initially signed up for. I knew it was selfish of me to keep hanging on to him.

"Speak of the devil," I sucked my teeth. There was a brief knock at my door- the appointment I was expecting. "I have to go, bye Jiminie."

Yoongi held the door open for a young man around my age- who I assumed to be his replacement. He looked competent enough. He was polite. Perhaps a bit shy, he did seem rather timid, but I knew Yoongi wouldn't have sent him in front of me if he wasn't qualified to do the job. Still, I couldn't stop myself from having a volatile reaction. Was it my sadness over Yoongi leaving, or maybe my father's words pinging in the back of my head? Just excuses.

His suit isn't properly pressed, and the material is cheap

I can't have my image tarnished by mediocracy

His glasses look stupid, his hair isn't neat

The words left my mouth like a sickly poison. Yoongi was visibly frustrated at my treatment of the man, and rightfully so. I was being ridiculous. But I couldn't stop, I only doubled down. The poor man looked traumatized. His hands were trembling slightly, eyes struggling to make contact. I was tearing him to pieces and for no good reason.

Jeon Jungkook. I remembered looking over his application during one of Yoongi's many trips to my office to try to get me to review the candidates. He had attended a fairly prestigious school despite coming from nothing, excelled in his class, and completed a plethora of volunteer work and internships. His professors and professional contacts had written him raving letters of recommendation. Yoongi had done a good job finding him. I was lucky.

"Wow, Yoongi," I shook my head in disbelief. "You found one crazy enough to stay."

Yoongi rolled his eyes, clearly done with my shit. "Yeah, no thanks to you."

I bit my cheek holding back the urge to continue to annoy him. Instead, I held my hand out to the man standing before me. "Welcome to Park Group, Secretary Jeon."

To my surprise he shook my hand without hesitation, any trace of nervous energy completely dissipated. "Thank you, Miss." He smiled brightly. "I will make sure that I am more presentable, tomorrow."

"Secretary Min, take the company card and take him shopping for some acceptable attire from our brands," I spoke, moving back to my desk. An apology was in order, but that would have to wait until later. In private, where I could let down the façade.

"Yes, CEO, Ma'am," Yoongi responded with a devilish grin. That bastard.