♡ 36

CHAPTER 36

A little bit of sleep and a hell of a lot of caffeine were the perfect cure for jetlag. A glass or two or three or four of wine at dinner and I would regain even my ego. The outfit was a good start. I went with an off-shoulder, fitted black dress with a corset-style bodice. The satin material draped over my curves creating beautiful layers, but it clung against my skin right where it needed to. I paired the look with a simple black heel and diamond stud earrings.

Hoseok, Jungkook, and Taehyung were waiting for me in the lobby. Hoseok was in a unique printed suit that fit his quirky demeanor. It was bolder than his usual fashion choices for work, but it felt like this was his true style. Taehyung kept it classy with fitted black pants and a matching turtleneck. On top he sported a long, grey trench-coat style suit jacket. Jungkook wore a loose, flowing silk shirt underneath a black suit jacket with slim pants. Just a smidge of his chest was exposed, a few more buttons undone than necessary. Enough that made it difficult to peel my eyes away.

"Whoa, Y/N, you went all out!" Taehyung exclaimed as I approached the three men. "Are you trying to compete with me?"

"I promise I'm not looking to dethrone you," I rolled my eyes.

"I booked us for a table at a French cuisine restaurant. It's a very nice place, great reviews. So, behave." Hoseok smirked, shooting a warning glance at Taehyung.

The restaurant was stunning. Elaborate golden chandeliers hung from the ceilings which were painted with classic artwork. Pure white tablecloths hung over wooden tables decorated with candles and floral centerpieces. Serene piano music sifted through the air that was filled with the noise of the restaurant's patrons. The combination of the dim lighting, the soft music, and the refined décor gave the place a romantic, sultry feel.

"This is fancy, Hoseok," Jungkook gasped as we took our seats.

"I thought we should experience France properly at least once," he smiled. "Is it not to your liking?"

"I like it," Jungkook laughed. "You don't have to speak so formally with me. Let's all get along well, tonight."

A waiter came by for our orders and I took advantage of the opportunity to get some liquid courage into my system. He presented me with a glass of Bordeaux red, full-bodied, with hints of dark chocolate, and a sweet smoky aroma. The liquid hit my lips and left my tongue tingling. The desired effect came after a few more sips, as the stress melted away, accompanied by my better judgement.

"This place is great, Hoseok," I hummed, setting down my glass.

"I'm surprised," Jungkook tilted his head. "I didn't think this sort of place was your style. I thought you found it pretentious."

"I'm full of mysteries, Jeon Jungkook." I raised my eyebrows and took another sip of the red. "Everything is better in good company."

"And with good wine," Taehyung added, raising his glass. "Which I'm going to need more of if the two of you keep looking at each other like that." He shot back the rest of his glass and poured another from the bottle at our table.

Jungkook held his tongue, but I took the bait. "Looking at each other like what?"

"Oh, sweetheart," Taehyung chuckled darkly. "I don't think you want me to answer that."

"No, I don't think that's necessary," Hoseok jumped in. "How is everyone's food?"

I looked down at the plate of Steak au Poivre in front of me. I'd barely touched the dish, focusing more on the alcohol and the man in front of me. "Delicious."

Taehyung raised his brows and let out a deep sigh before taking another drink of his wine. "It's going to be a long night."

"Uh- you're kind of supposed to savor the wine," Hoseok scratched his head, grimacing as he watched Taehyung and I behaving like lushes. "It's more of an accompaniment to the meal."

"That's not going to work for me," Taehyung let out a deep laugh.

"Me either," I added.

"Anyways..." Hoseok trailed off. "Jungkook, how is your showcase coming? I admire your work. Have you decided what your theme will be?"

Jungkook choked, coughing as he pulled the wine he was sipping away from his mouth. "I have an idea, but it's a surprise."

"Come on," Taehyung whined. "Don't be shy now. Can't you give us a hint? It's not like we won't see your pieces ahead of time."

"Yeah, come on," I followed suit. "At least I should be allowed to know."

Jungkook nibbled at his bottom lip and turned his head, thinking carefully about how to choose his words. "I will only tell you that each piece is representative of a moment in time- all of which are very important to me."

"So, it will be a telling of your life?" Hoseok questioned.

"Not exactly," Jungkook smiled. "But I don't want to give away too much so let's move on."

"How about we discuss last weekend?" Taehyung raised a brow. "That was wild, huh?"

"Let's not," I quickly spoke up.

"What happened with the two of you?" He asked, continuing to prod. His eyes kept drifting back and forth between Jungkook and I.

"You're drunk," Jungkook sighed, gripping Taehyung's shoulder. "Maybe we should wrap this up and head back to the hotel?"

I took another big gulp from my glass, hoping to drown out what little anxiety remained. I knew exactly what Taehyung was getting at. He was drunk, probably, but he was also very perceptive. He wasn't antagonizing us so much as he was annoyed at our inability to be honest with ourselves. I didn't doubt for a second that he saw right through me.

"I'm not drunk," Taehyung smirked, shaking his head. "I'm just having a bit of fun."

"Why don't we head back?" I nodded. "We can go up to the rooftop bar where it's more private and continue our conversation there."

Hoseok buried his head in his hands. "I guess I can't stop you, so I'll watch over you."