♡ 28

CHAPTER 28

Only a few of our designers from the other branches had chosen to make Seoul their base of operations for the duration of the project. Mateo- a haute couture designer from Spain, Anais- a grunge wear designer from France, and of course, Jungkook from Japan- whose specialty was more in the realm of streetwear. It made sense for Jungkook to stay, since he'd been born and raised in Korea. He'd probably have transferred back to our branch by now, if not for me. Mateo and Anais had both chosen to stay as an opportunity to learn more, as they were both fairly new to the industry.

Since it was only three of them, and the designer we'd selected, Haneul, had her own studio space, we decided to have them share a communal workspace. I would be checking on their progress periodically during their time here. The rest of the branches would be submitting their work digitally to be reviewed and adjusted and would not have to return to Seoul until two weeks before the official showcase in Paris for one final check. It had been a week since their arrival, so it was due time to show my face at the workshop.

When I stepped into the workspace, crisp and clean with pure white walls and floors, I took in a strange scent. Was something burning? Smoke? "Uhm, what is that?"

Hoseok who was already waiting for me, spoke up as he watched my face twist in confusion and concern. "Don't worry, it's just Anais."

"Is she on fire?" I scrunched my nose.

"She is setting her garments on fire. I was worried too but she said it is part of her process," Hoseok chuckled. "She is a bit of an oddity, that one."

The petite girl known as Anais rushed up to greet me. Her chestnut brown hair was pulled back into a high ponytail, revealing a stunning freckled face with minimal makeup. She stared up at me with crystalline blue eyes. "Wow, tu es belle," she gasped. "Would you consider being my model, Miss Park?"

She was a strange one, indeed. I wasn't sure what she'd said to me in French, but you had to be ballsy to ask the CEO of your company to model for you. I liked her. "I think I may be a bit occupied, but I'd love to see your work."

Anais skipped over to workspace and gave me a brief description of the pieces she had in progress. "I am combining my love of grunge style with classic French fashion trends to create something with a modern spin." She seemed to work fast and chaotic, with several pieces started at once and notes scattered all over her table.

"I think you'll do great," I beamed, feeling her energy lift my spirits. "I'll take a more in-depth look, later."

The next person in line to be assessed was Mateo. He was pacing back and forth in front of his table with a pencil resting between his lips, hands resting on his hips. He was like a giant next to me. His curly deep brown hair was pulled back from his face in a bun. Delicate honey-colored eyes contrasted the sharp features of his sun-kissed face.

"Is everything alright?" I approached. Though his workstation was by far the most organized, he seemed to be the most frazzled out of everyone.

"Ah, sí," he turned to face me. "I am just struggling to make things exciting."

The garment in front of him was a gorgeous gown made from multi-layered tulle with a silk bodice. It was beautifully made, but it was simple. "Why don't you do more with the bodice? When I reviewed your portfolio, I saw a lot of amazing embroidery."

"I hadn't thought to incorporate that, but that could bring my collection to the next level," he nodded, touching the fabric. "Thank you, I'll get started."

The final person I needed to visit was Jungkook. Dressed in a fitted black turtleneck that hugged him perfectly, I almost stopped in my tracks when I took in his visage. He'd dyed his hair back to his initial deep brown, nearly pitch-black tone, and it was hanging slightly in his eyes, parted to the sides. He was breathtaking even in his most natural state.

It took a moment before my feet found the momentum to move me forward towards him. "Hey there," I muttered awkwardly, immediately kicking myself for greeting him in such a casual manner.

"Hey there," he smiled, turning towards me.

I'd spent some extra time this morning making myself...presentable. I donned a cherry red dress that stopped mid-calf, with a slit in the back that ran dangerously too high. Stretch fabric melted to my curves in all the right places. The neckline in the front exposed a bit more than my normal dresses, so my only saving grace was my shoulders and arms being fully covered. I was teetering the line of work appropriate wear, that much I knew. I felt a bit ridiculous but watching Jungkook's gaze slowly travel from my heels to my eyes made it all worth it.

"I- um- I started on some streetwear designs, but I don't really have a clear vision yet," Jungkook pointed to his mannequins.

"Is something distracting you?" I tilted my head.

"No!" He nearly shouted. "No- I am just a bit slower in my process. I'm going to spend the weekend going around Seoul to get some inspiration."

There were several sketches littered about his table, but it was true he hadn't seemed to settle on a concept. He was the only designer in the room who had yet to properly create a mockup. Everything was hastily pinned and in the very early stages of conception. Of course, there was nothing wrong with that so long as he met his deadline, which I was confident he would manage to do.

"I think there is a pop-up art gallery that they just opened which might be right up your alley," I rubbed my finger along my jawline. "I am sure the company could arrange to get you some tickets."

"Could you get me two?" He pursed his lips, hesitant to make the request.

"Sure, I don't see why not." I offered a half-smile and turned to take my leave. Part of me was dying to ask him why he wanted a second ticket, but I didn't need to cross that line. It was better if I spared myself the disappointment. He likely did have a girlfriend. Plus, why did I care? I hated him, anyways.

"Secretary Jung, please arrange for two tickets for Jungkook to that local gallery that they just erected downtown," I instructed, walking past him.

"Are you okay?" He asked cautiously.

I paused, unsure of how I wanted to answer his question. It was a loaded one. "I'm okay."