ACT II - ♡ 26

ACT II - CHAPTER 26

~1 YEAR LATER~

In the proceeding year, my life had changed dramatically. My father had developed a serious illness and spent most of the year in and out of the hospital, or completely bedridden. It was there at his bedside that we'd made some attempts at repairing our relationship. Though it was impossible to make up for the damage that he'd caused over the years, he promised not to interfere with my life any longer. He'd even begged for forgiveness from both Jimin and I for his behavior. Funny how that happens when death comes knocking at the door.

I hadn't accepted his apology, not because I hadn't appreciated it, but because you simply can't erase years of trauma with pretty words. I asked him to prove the weight of his words with actions instead. Atone for his sins. The next day he stepped down from his position as Chairman of Park Group, forfeiting the role to me as the next primary shareholder. For the first time, it felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders, as the chains that bound me shattered.

We'd had a conversation about the prospect of marriage, as well. While he was sick, he hadn't had the time or energy to keep up with setting up dates for me, so I'd gotten away with pushing it off. A major fear of mine was that they would start back up the moment he recovered. Not that he held any power over me anymore, other than that of a father. But to my shock, he immediately agreed to leave the fate of my romances to me alone.

With the role of my secretary open, it was a struggle to keep organized for a couple of months. Eventually, I found a suitable replacement. Jung Hoseok. He had an incredible eye for fashion. I found myself turning to him for advice on countless occasions. Beyond his professional capabilities, he was like sunlight bottled up into a person. The perfect counterpart to the heartless woman I'd become. His brightness was contagious, and I couldn't help but smile at his silly antics. He was healing.

It's not like I'd spent the last year acting cruel and cold-hearted, following in my father's footsteps. I just hadn't really made an effort to be overly compassionate. I used up all my energy focusing on work. Long hours. Early mornings. Late nights. I hadn't had time to make friends. I definitely hadn't had time to make any romantic connections.

"Miss Park, our guests will be arriving shortly," Hoseok noted. "Shall we make our way down to the conference room?"

"Yes, thank you, Secretary Jung."

Park Group's next major project was an international showcase of our brands that would be taking place in Paris. Representatives from our various branches across the world, selected by the company directors, would be joining us here at the head office in Seoul to prepare for the event. It was unlike anything we'd ever attempted, so it had to be done on a grand scale. We hoped to display the beauty and uniqueness of different cultures through fashion.

"There will be representatives present from our branch here in Korea, of course, as well as the US, England, Italy, France, Spain, Singapore, and Japan," Hoseok explained. My eye involuntarily twitched as the word 'Japan' left his lips. Certainly, they wouldn't select...him.

The man whose name I didn't even want to utter. He'd traveled to the Japan branch to create his brand and had subsequently blown up in popularity. His works were inspired by the country he was living in, but still held a touch of Korean influence. The fusion of styles was his signature. Him and his designs were renowned not only in Japan and Korea, but worldwide. He had done a multitude of interviews and graced the cover of every major magazine. Everyone in the industry knew his name. Which was not the best for someone trying to avoid him like the plague. Because of his success, I couldn't even drop him from Park Group, or the board of directors would burn me at the stake.

"They are waiting for you inside, Miss Park." Hoseok held the conference room door open.

Beyond the door awaited the selected expert designers from our global branches, each donning their own individual style. The room was exploding with personality- from sleek and classy to quirky street fashion, everyone looked like a piece of art. Not one wrinkle or button out of place. These were people who would turn the head of everyone present when they walked in a room. Next level talent and dripping with self-assured confidence.

My eyes scanned the room, moving from body to body until they met his. His. I'd already mentally prepared myself for the possibility of him being here, but the sight of him still sent a shockwave through my body. So, they had selected him to represent the Japan branch after all. Of course, they had.

The man who appeared in front of me now was even more stunning than the one who had left me, if that was even possible. He'd dyed his hair, added several new piercings, and even some additional ink, by the looks of it. All out on display. I guessed he wasn't shy about hiding himself anymore. What else had changed in our year apart?

I wanted to slap myself for ogling him, reminding myself that I hated him no matter how gorgeous he was. He'd used me as a ladder to the top and then abandoned me once I'd served my purpose. He'd played for a fool, and I ate up every last lie that spewed from his mouth. He was a monster of a man. That hadn't changed.

I managed to avert my gaze and addressed the group. "Thank you all for joining us here in Seoul. I know it was a long way for many of you to travel."

"Your hotel accommodations are in the black folder placed before you," Hoseok added. "We will have a company dinner at the hotel at five o'clock. Miss Park and a few of the directors will be joining you."

"I will not be attending," I hastily corrected. I had no intention of sharing a meal with Jungkook if I could avoid it. And that was the benefit of being the Chairwoman and CEO- I could avoid it.

"My mistake." Hoseok cleared his throat. "We will see you at tomorrow morning's individual meetings, then. Please, enjoy your evening."

As I turned to exit the room, Hoseok turned to me and spoke in a low tone. "Did something come up in your schedule that I need to adjust for?"

"No," I smiled. "I just didn't feel like going."