♡ 3

CHAPTER 3

Both my secretary and my secretary in training were in my office bright and early the next morning, with coffee at the ready, and the day's agenda placed before me. I raised my eyes from the paper and was pleasantly surprised by the sight before me. It seemed Yoongi had acquiesced to my request- Jungkook was dressed up nicely in a proper-fitted suit, hair slicked back neatly. I stood from my desk, eyes traveling up and down, looking for a flaw.

"Cuff links?" I questioned, circling around him.

"Of course," Jungkook responded promptly. He dangled his wrist before me, showing off the simple, silver links, monogrammed with his initials.

"Now, Miss Park, if his appearance is to your satisfaction, shall we get started?" Yoongi grumbled. Always a bit prickly with me, that one.

"Yes, please do." I sat back down and awaited his explanation of the day's duties.

Yoongi and Jungkook exchanged a look, and Jungkook cleared his throat. Really? Making him go through the agenda by himself on day one? That was harsh, even by my standards.

"Miss, you have a meeting at eleven with the company designers at a local brunch restaurant, then there is a meeting with CEO of Kim Group here at the building at noon, followed by an executive meeting at three," Jungkook began to list off my appointments. "There are some new fabric samples that need to be reviewed by the end of the day, as well." His voice was clear and confident. Hmm. Color me impressed.

"Cancel my meeting with CEO Kim," I spoke sternly.

Jungkook scrunched his brows and opened his mouth to speak but Yoongi jumped in, interrupting. "You can't cancel your meeting with Kim Group," he responded through gritted teeth.

"Hm? I can't?" I chuckled sarcastically.

"No, you can't. You are supposed to be collaborating on a large-scale project, so you are just going to have to play nice."

"That doesn't sound like me," I answered coyly, certainly raising his blood pressure with my antics. As much as I wanted to continue to irritate him, he was right. Kim Group was a major player and working with them was beneficial. I had an extreme distaste for the asshole CEO, but I would have to get over it for the sake of the company. "Whatever, I'll go."

A buzzing noise began to fill the tense silence. "I have to take this."

With just Jungkook and I left in the room, I weighed my options. The first option- I could be especially hellish while Yoongi wasn't here to scold me, and then maybe I could really succeed in scaring the newbie away. The second option- I could accept my fate and act like a normal human being. Gosh, life is certainly filled with tough choices.

"So, why are you here, Secretary Jeon?" I questioned; my voice uninterested even though I was indeed curious. "Money? Power?"

I watched as his eyes narrowed, pondering over the answer to my question. "No, Miss Park," he smiled kindly. "I admire this company and I want to design for you one day."

"For me or for Park Group?" Those were two very different things. A lot of people admired Park Group, much fewer admired me. Many viewed me as a fill-in CEO riding on the coat tails of my father's achievements.

Jungkook looked down, rubbing a finger across his jawline. "Do you remember the spring season show in Paris two years ago that Park Group held?"

I nodded.

"Well, I was able to attend as part of my internship, and it amazed me." His eyes sparkled with excitement as he thought back on the fond memory. "I'd always wanted a career in this industry, but that show was the one that inspired me to take the leap."

"So, Park Group, then?" I sighed, a bit disappointed, but not surprised.

"Didn't you plan that show, Miss?" he tilted his head, looking at me. "I may not have known who you were at the time, but that should count for something, right?"

Maybe he had a point. Everything that had happened in the past four years- it was all me. Perhaps, I hadn't laid the foundation, but I had certainly forged my own accomplishments. That should count for something. If the negative thoughts would just leave my mind, maybe I could actually believe that. The idea was nice.

"I suppose working as my secretary is one way to make your way into the company," I remarked. "It may not be the easiest route." My statement may have come across as more of a warning than I intended it to.

But he just smiled again, unaffected by my words. "You're not so bad."

"Don't go telling anyone that, you'll ruin my reputation," I laughed, a genuine laugh.

The doors to my office crept back open, and Yoongi reentered, walking back over to us. His brows scrunched together; mouth dropped. "Who are you?"

"What are you on about, now?" I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms in front of me in a huff.

"Ah, that's better," Yoongi gave a dramatic sigh of relief, touching his hand to his heart. "For a second there I thought I saw you smiling."

"You two really fight like a married couple," Jungkook giggled, but only briefly. After seeing the disgusted look that Yoongi and I exchanged, he immediately snapped his mouth closed and mumbled a quiet 'sorry'.

Had I smiled just now? It's not like I never smiled- I wasn't really a monster like everyone said. But in this place that sort of thing, smiling, was extremely rare. There were too many negative emotions here. It was almost impossible to get out of my head and experience any emotion other than stress.

"Let's get going to our first appointment," Yoongi urged, tapping the glass of his watch impatiently.

"One moment," I shook my head. "I realize now that this is really happening whether I like it or not..."

Both men stopped in their tracks and stared at me in confusion. Even if I regretted my next words, I had to say them. It was time to move on. Life was going to continue, and I was going to remain as the CEO of Park Group, regardless of how things changed around me. I just had to make the best of the hand that I was dealt. It had been comforting having Yoongi at my side, but he deserved to live his life, too. I couldn't remain afraid.

"Thank you for everything, Yoongi." I nodded my head to him, and then turned to look at Jungkook. "And Jungkook, I hope it's okay to call you that, titles still feel awkward to me...uh well, thank you, too, for helping me."

Yoongi looked at me like I had two heads at first, but realizing the sincerity of my words, softened his gaze. "You've been a great CEO, Y/N."

Jungkook rushed up to respond. "Thank you for having me, Miss Pa-"

"Please, just Y/N."

He bit his lip, unsure if he should follow my direction. It was out of the ordinary to refer to your boss so casually, but I'd had my best friend as my secretary for the past four years, so I hadn't exactly followed the rules of business. We had only referred to each other by our professional titles in front of clients and staff. Otherwise, it was just Yoongi and Y/N or some other horrible insult if we were pissing each other off. I knew I couldn't get comfortable with hearing 'Miss Park' on the daily.

"Uh- okay, Y/N."

A new beginning. Here goes nothing.