♡ 7

CHAPTER 7

~Y/N's POV~

Hair disheveled and still dressed in my pajamas, I proceeded to the common area quietly, hoping not to disturb a sleeping Jungkook. To my surprise, he was already awake and fully done up in dress pants and a flowy long-sleeved dress shirt, sipping on a coffee. Feeling awkward and underdressed, I'd hoped that I could sneak back into the bedroom without him noticing so that I could change, but the man had eagle eyes.

"Good morning," he chirped. "Would you like me to order something in for breakfast, or would you like to go down to one of the hotel's restaurants?"

I attempted to partially hide myself behind the doorway. "Let's go downstairs, just let me change first," I spoke uneasily. "I didn't think you'd be such an early riser."

"I wanted to make sure I was up before you," he beamed, seemingly unfazed by my messy appearance.

Retreating to the bedroom, I closed the door and hurriedly sifted through my luggage, searching for a simple summer dress. We had a formal dinner with the company later in the night, but we were free to spend the day how we pleased- and I wanted to spend it on the beach. I settled on a white, floral print mini dress with a pair of strappy sandals and pulled my hair back into a half-up style.

"Let's go!" I poked my head out. "I want to get breakfast on the beach."

"Woah, you look so different," Jungkook remarked.

"Now who's the one judging a book by it's cover?" I teased. "Did you think I lived my life exclusively in pantsuits and heels?"

"Kind of," he laughed, grabbing his phone and wallet, preparing to leave. "You look nice."

The weather was especially hot and humid today, with only a minimal breeze to provide some relief. I was glad I had dressed appropriately for the occasion. Jungkook looked like he was literally dying, dabbing at the back of his neck with napkins and fanning himself with his hands. Serves you right, Mr. Professional. I told you to relax a bit. Who the hell comes to the beach in the middle of summer in dress pants?

"Go change Jungkook, I'm overheating just looking at you," I finally spoke up, shaking my head at him. Sensing his hesitation, I waved him off. "Seriously, go. I'll wait right here."

He jumped out of his chair, wasting no time now. "If you don't mind, then."

I closed my eyes, leaning back in my chair, simply enjoying the silence and the warmth of sun. The fruit that we'd ordered for breakfast was sweet and hydrating, perfect for the hot day. As I popped another strawberry in my mouth, I kept thinking that I could lay here forever, forgetting all my responsibilities. At least I could pretend, if only for a few hours.

"I see you managed to figure out a room, huh?" And there it was. My absolute worst nightmare, ripping me from my perfect daydream. Namjoon.

"I seriously don't have the patience for you today, so just go away," I groaned, opening my eyes to see him hovering just above me.

Much to my displeasure, he took a seat next to me. "How could I leave such a beautiful girl all by herself?" he smirked, making me sick to my stomach.

"Do you have something important to say to me? If not, leave."

"You're heartless, you know that?" Namjoon faked a pained expression. "I just wanted to spend a bit of time with my future wife."

What. The. Hell. So Jimin was right- our father really did want to marry me off to the devil. And clearly, he had spoken to him about it, too. I wished I could say I was surprised, but I wasn't. Anything for the benefit of the company. What I wanted was irrelevant. My role was to serve the company- in mind, body, and soul. Nothing more.

"You should leave," a voice spoke from behind, which I instantly realized was Jungkook, returned from the hotel room. His tone was calm, but serious.

Namjoon rose from his seat, poking his tongue in the side of his cheek. "Why don't you be a good little secretary and go fuck off somewhere?"

Jungkook took a deep breath, grounding himself. Good on him. I would've punched Namjoon by now, and I still just might. "You're disturbing Miss Park and making her uncomfortable. I'd be happy to contact hotel management if that is necessary." His threat was accompanied by a sweet smile. "I can't imagine that they would be happy to hear of Park Group's CEO being mistreated by a mere guest on their premises."

I almost died trying to hold in my laughter. He just called him a 'mere guest'. Oh my god. My hand shot up to my mouth to hold it all in, but the tears were starting to form in my eyes. I knew if I burst out cackling like I wanted to it would only make the situation worse, so I had to try my best to internalize it.

"A mere guest, are you crazy?" Namjoon started shouting. "Do you know who I am?"

"I know you're not Park Group- which means you have a lot to lose by going up against her."

Namjoon appeared to be at a loss for words. He'd probably never been challenged like this before by anyone other than me. Not even Yoongi would stand up to him since he found it to be a waste of time. With a deep exhale, Namjoon shook his head and walked off in a huff without another word. Maybe not the war, but at least we won this battle.

I couldn't lie- it felt nice to have someone defend me for once. "Thank you, Jungkook. You didn't have to do that."

"The way he looks at you is disgusting," he sucked his teeth, the slightest bit of annoyance now evident in his voice. "Like you're his property."

I gave a weak smile. "Yeah, that's pretty much how he is."

Jungkook looked over at me, now with a worried expression. "What's the story there? Why does he bother you so much?"

"We grew up together and our fathers are good friends, personally and in business. I'm fairly certain now that my father plans for the two of us to marry, so Namjoon seems to think he has permission to treat me however he wishes," a sigh escaped my lips. "That's my fate."

"Is talking to your father an option?" Jungkook questioned, trying to be understanding of the complexities of my predicament.

I chewed at my lip, nervous just thinking of it. "I could, yes. We just- we don't talk much."

"I'll support you no matter what, Y/N," Jungkook stared at me, his brown eyes glistening like pools of amber in the bright sun. Maybe it was his words to me- but he looked truly beautiful in that moment.