♡ 32

CHAPTER 32

I was back in the workshop to check on the designer's progress again today, this time accompanied by Taehyung. The vibe was different than last week, somehow. Every one of the designers was completely focused, in their own creative world, oblivious to their surroundings. No one had even noticed the two of us enter the room. Maybe the weekend had proven to be refreshing and inspiring for more than just Jungkook.

"This is Anais," I pointed to the girl on the left side of the room, humming to herself with headphones in her ears. "She will need some faux leathers and a lot of different embellishments. She likes to combine a variety of different fabrics so she will need small quantities of several types."

"Next we have Mateo," I walked with Taehyung down the line, where Mateo was hand sewing a mockup. "He will primarily utilize silks, lace, tulle. For him, quality is extremely important."

"And then-"

"Oh, I'd prefer to talk with that one personally," Taehyung interrupted me as I made my way over towards Jungkook's workstation.

"You could pretend to be vaguely interested in the other designers," I clicked my tongue. "We have eight in total when you consider those working offsite and I'm sure they'd appreciate your fairly distributed attention."

"Sorry, he is my favorite. I told you I liked him when I first met him," he shrugged his shoulders. "I just didn't know why I liked him so much at the time."

I begrudgingly followed Taehyung in his swift steps as he approached the man. Jungkook had apparently made quick work of getting caught up with his rough drafts. You'd never be able to tell that he was way behind Anais and Mateo in progress just last week. He was so engrossed with his work that he didn't even notice Taehyung come right up behind him and tap him on the shoulder.

"Ah, jeez," Jungkook turned around, chest heaving with rapid, startled breaths. His eyes grew even wider when he realized just who had grabbed his attention. "Taehyung?"

"Miss me?" Taehyung winked. "I'll be supplying the fabrics for your showcase in-"

"Maybe," I cut him off this time. "He might be supplying the fabrics for the showcase in Paris, so he's here to see what you need."

"Oh, I didn't know you two kept in touch..." Jungkook trailed off.

"We didn't," I quickly replied. "This is just business."

"Awkward," Taehyung mouthed, covering one side of his face with his hand so only I could see. It took every ounce of willpower in my body not to slam my heel into the top of his foot.

"Why don't you explain your vision," I sighed, turning to Jungkook.

"I plan to use a lot of layering of different pieces when I create each ensemble. I'm going to maintain my usual style and keep things simple and cool," he started. "The way I will set myself apart is by focusing on the small details, and those details are what's going to tie everything together under one theme."

"I think I understand, but you sound like you don't want to give away too much," Taehyung chuckled.

"You're right," Jungkook smiled. "It's kind of a surprise."

He'd behaved the same way when I pressed him for more information after the gallery. He'd said he knew exactly what his overarching theme would be, but he wasn't keen on sharing it. As long his pieces were cohesive, I didn't intend to keep pushing him from answers. I was all for my designers having creative freedom to execute their artistic vision however they saw fit. I knew that it wouldn't be fair for me to hold Jungkook to a different standard just because I was personally curious.

"Y/N, I'll go prepare my samples now and then I'll be back," Taehyung patted my arm.

"Sure."

I prepared to exit the room and return to my office but was stopped by Jungkook's grip on my wrist. "Can we talk?"

I nodded and followed behind him until we were outside behind the building. It was quiet, save for the faint sounds of vehicles and pedestrians on the other side of the street. The air was growing crisp as fall approached, and I rubbed my exposed arms. I hadn't a clue why we couldn't simply speak within the comfort of the workshop, yet I still followed him without question. That was the hold he had on me.

"Sorry, are you cold?" he questioned, taking notice of my slight shivering. His eyebrows scrunched in concern. It was a simple question, but it was the kindness in his eyes that perturbed me.

"I'm fine," I shook my head. "Why did you want to talk?"

"I was cruel to you the other day," he looked down, rubbing his lips together roughly. "I wanted to apologize. It was never my intention to hurt you with my words."

I sucked in a deep breath. "So, do you intend to be honest with me, then?"

"It's complicated." He ran his hand through his loose hair and brought his eyes to mine. "I promise I will answer all of your questions, but I need time to figure some things out. I just can't...right now."

"Then I think this conversation is done."

I moved to turn away, but he hurriedly grabbed my arm, stopping me in my tracks. "Y/N."

His arms encircled my waist, pulling me up against his chest. My heart may have truly stopped beating as I felt his body pressed against my own. It was a feeling of inexplicable euphoria. A feeling I experienced only when I hugged just one person. Him. Like a siren were captivating me with their song, I was completely bewitched by his touch. My arms wrapped around his back without a second thought. I could regret it later, but right now, I needed it.

A hand ran up to the back of my head, fingers snaking through the locks of my hair, pushing me deeper. I buried my head into his chest and breathed him as if it were the last time I'd ever experience him again. The way my lungs filled as if it were the first time that I'd ever really tasted oxygen. The way my entire body trembled as if it were just waking up from a long slumber. For just this brief moment, I would push my inhibitions to the side. To feel this.

Nearly in sync, our minds, and the realization of what we were doing, seemed to overpower our hearts, and we separated from one another. I couldn't meet his eyes. I could only run away, pretending the embrace hadn't happened. Lying to myself.