♡ 21

CHAPTER 21

The venue was already bustling with guests when Taehyung and I stepped out of our limo, dressed to the nines and ready to give the performance of a lifetime. I made quick work of locking my arm with Taehyung's, looking over him with adoration as the crowd watched our arrival. A majority of Park Group's employees, both of our families, and some mutual business associates would be present at the event. The time to step up to the plate was now.

We took our seats at our family's side and waited for the show to start. Taehyung and I did our best to flirt, shamelessly so, touching, poking, lacing our fingers together, and whispering about mindless nonsense. We made a point to keep our eyes focused solely on each other. In our own little world of fabricated romance, hopefully appearing completely enamored with one another.

Music began to play through the speakers, signaling the shows begin. For the first time, I pulled away from Taehyung, drawn to the stage. I couldn't miss this part. I wouldn't. He snaked an arm around my back as we silently watched the models walk down the runway. I recognized Jungkook's model instantly. Under the spotlights, his design shined even more magnificently. It took all my willpower not to search the crowd for him, to give him a smile, a nod, a wink, any indication that I was there for him.

As the lights dimmed and then brightened again, the music fading into the background, I looked on as my father took the stage. Him giving a speech was not on the program, so there was no doubt that this spelled bad news for me. I clenched my jaw, bracing myself for what was to come. Taehyung must've felt my grip tighten on his hand, as he turned to me perplexed, brows scrunched together.

"I'd like to offer a special thank you to my daughter, who worked tirelessly to ensure this night was a success," my father began, speaking into the microphone. His words were so perfectly calculated, but they weren't genuine in the slightest. "I would also like to say thank you to her fiancé, Kim Taehyung, who has brought our families together for something beautiful. Please, the two of you, join me up here."

I looked to Taehyung in a panic, praying he would know a way out of this, but he simply smiled, and gave my hand a squeeze before rising from his chair. I refused to let any emotion read on my face as we walked through the crowd towards my father. All eyes were on the two of us, cheering for us as we ascended the steps.

"Wow, what a stunning couple," my father exclaimed as we took our place at his side. The way he could flip his personality for the public eye was disturbing. "If you don't mind saying a few words."

Now, this I could manage. This was my area of expertise. "Thank you all for joining us tonight," I spoke confidently into the mic. "It has been an honor to work alongside our new talent, and I know that they all have a bright future ahead of them."

Taehyung followed up behind me, "I've truly enjoyed experiencing the work that Y/N and all of you have put into this show." He stole a glance at me. "Y/N is an amazing woman."

"I'm so pleased that this lovely couple will be leading our companies into the future," my father beamed to the crowd. He stepped back from the mic and spoke in a low tone, only audible to Taehyung and I. "Surely, you two can share a kiss for the cameras? It's good press."

My breath hitched in my throat, and I struggled to withhold my terror. Rejecting my father's request would be a dead give away of the reality of my relationship with Taehyung... Why wouldn't I kiss my fiancé in public? Why would it be such a huge deal? But if I acquiesced to his will, it would mean...

Again, I sought some sort of guidance from Taehyung, but his face held no apparent emotion. I stared as he nodded to my father and gave a bow to the crowd. I followed suit in bowing and held my breath, steeling my nerves. Taehyung grabbed me by the waist and pulled me in close, eyes locked onto mine.

When Taehyung's lips met my own, I desperately tried to pretend that they weren't his, that I was tasting the mouth of the person that I should be. I couldn't let this...this thing that felt like a betrayal, result in failure. I had to force a display of non-existent passion. The action was brief, but it was enough to know that I felt nothing. Tasted nothing. Just skin on skin and emptiness.

After parting our lips, I ground my teeth together so hard I thought they might shatter in my mouth. It was the only thing stopping the tears from running down my cheeks, giving away the ruse. My throat was tightening, growing hot, while my eyes scanned the room. When they met the person who I was searching for, the pain became unbearable. All I saw on his face was hurt.

"I'm going to be sick," I shakily whispered in Taehyung's ear, urgently seeking to get of the stage and escape the crowd. I dragged him away as discreetly as possible towards the back of the venue where we could be alone. I found a door leading to a separate room and forced us inside.

"A little harsh to tell me you feel sick after kissing me, no?" He teased as we entered the private room. His grin immediately fell when he noticed the tears streaming down my cheeks. "Y/N, it's okay..."

"It's not okay!" I choked out between sobs, my feelings crashing down like a waterfall. "I don't know why I thought that I could handle this. This isn't normal!"

"Of course, it's not!" He was trying to remain calm, but he was growing emotional himself. "We're not normal! We exist for the sole purpose of benefiting our families and continuing their legacy. Our happiness was never in the cards, don't be naïve."

"What kind of life is that supposed to be?" I cried out. "I don't want to live a life where I have to kiss another man in front of the one that I love!" The words were out of my mouth before they even registered with my brain. Love. And I'd only recognized it when it was too late. I'd already ruined everything. That thought was ripping my heart to shreds.

"I understand, Y/N," Taehyung spoke, now in a steady voice. "We should call this off. I'll make the arrangements and come up with a story for our breakup. This was convenient for me, but I'm not a monster, I can see that this is killing you."

I wiped the tears from my eyes and took in a deep breath. "I'm sorry, Taehyung."

"You don't owe me an apology, please," he softly smiled. "I just hope that you can find a way somehow to be happy in all of this. You deserve it."

Happy, hm? I couldn't possibly hope for happiness now. Once my father learned of my failed engagement, he would waste no time setting me up on new dates. There would be no time off to lick my wounds. And there was still no road that led to Jungkook, and that only even mattered if he could forgive me for what I'd done.