♡ 23

CHAPTER 23

Much as I'd anticipated, a stack of profiles for new potential husbands waited for me on my desk when I arrived at the office. Posted on the top was a note- 'Since you're ignoring my calls, I had these delivered. Your first date is this evening'. Predictable. I'd listened to a couple of my father's scathing voicemails, and they'd offered no sympathy for my heartbreak, albeit fake heartbreak, only talks of the future. The company's future. At least he had seemed to have calmed down some as he wasn't screaming through the phone.

"Already?" Jungkook appeared at my side, glancing over my shoulder, lips pursed, though more out of pity than annoyance.

"Yes," I sighed. "I'll just have to do my best to come off as undesirable."

"That may prove to be difficult," he winked and let out a soft chuckle. "How about we go out somewhere afterwards?"

"Yes, please." I was forever in his debt and grateful for his attempts to put my mind at ease. I would definitely need a little alone time with Jungkook after humoring yet another blind date.

~

This evening's date was with a young tech mogul. Handsome, rich, and predictably self-absorbed. He spent most of our date droning on and on about his new app and how it could revolutionize the fashion industry. A desperate show of how viable our match would be- from a business standpoint, of course. My obvious lack of interest didn't seem to bother him much. Even blatantly ignoring him while he spoke, burying my nose in my dinner plate, apparently wasn't a deal breaker for him.

It wasn't a moment too soon that the check came, and I was able to bid the man farewell. Polite promises to reach out again and a friendly side hug, and my work here was complete. Waiting for me in the vehicle out front was the only person I intended to pay attention to tonight, and I couldn't wait to see him. I was practically skipping over to the car door.

"How was your date?" Jungkook questioned as I slid into the passenger seat next to him and strapped myself in.

"Delightful," I rolled my eyes. "I'm not sure I even remember his name, but I could provide you an extensive look into his investment portfolio."

"Wow, that is thrilling, but I will have to pass," he replied, raising his eyebrows in amusement.

"Please just take me away from here and absolutely do not talk to me about the stock market."

With an exchange of laughter, we were off. Jungkook hadn't allowed me to be privy to where we were going, but I noticed that we were heading towards the Han River. As I grew increasingly more impatient, the vehicle finally came to a stop. Banpo Hangang Park. Jungkook reached behind us and grabbed a large, black bag from the backseat.

"Let's go," he smiled broadly. As we walked hand in hand towards the river, he spoke up again. "I know you just had dinner, so I packed us some desserts and wine."

Watching him happily open his bag and lay down a soft blanket in the grass for the two of us, my heart felt full. If there was a heaven, it was probably laying next to Jungkook under a beautiful dark sky, on a breezy summer night, in front of the Han River. Despite being surrounded by other people, it felt like we were in our own world. I couldn't think of anything more peaceful.

"Thank you for this," I let out a deep exhale before taking a sip of the sweet, red wine, Jungkook had poured.

"My pleasure. I thought you might enjoy something relaxing after everything that happened."

Right. There was still the pressure of trying to find a way for us to be together hanging in the background of this picture-perfect night. As much as I didn't want my mind to go there, my worry was ever present, like a song on loop. Because I couldn't imagine what failure would mean. I refused to. Bitterness flooded my mouth. The alcohol, or my fear?

"I love you," I muttered quietly, and a look of surprise flashed across his face. The words had slipped out as if on instinct, and my cheeks reddened. "I just wanted to say it, again."

A grin appeared on his face so wide that his eyes transformed into little crescent moons. Opting for actions rather than words, he leaned in close and placed a sweet, delicate kiss on my lips, made only sweeter and more intoxicating by the wine still lingering on his breath. My lips went numb, and I was left wondering again if this was another result of the alcohol, or something else entirely.

Jungkook left only a few inches between our faces as he whispered in a tone barely audible, "You are everything to me."

I was swept up in the desire to kiss him again but forced myself to resist for the sake of public decency. Any more friction, and I might tackle him to the ground here and now in front of God and everyone. And judging by the darkness looming in his eyes, the feeling was mutual.

Instead, I occupied my mouth with one of the many desserts that Jungkook had laid out before us. "Now that the showcase is finished, will you request a transfer to one of the design teams?" I asked between bites.

Jungkook rubbed his chin. "No, I don't think I've proven myself enough yet."

"Your design was a favorite amongst many of the executives."

"I suppose I'm just doubting myself," he chuckled, leaning his head back.

"You are talented, Jungkook," I nodded my head seriously. "You shouldn't hold yourself back."

"Are you trying to get rid of me, Miss Park?" he smirked.

"No!" I playfully shoved his shoulder and narrowed my eyes at him. "I just hope you can recognize that your dreams are more attainable than you think. If your dream is to become a designer, I know that you are more than capable of achieving that dream."

His lips curled into a smile. "I might miss tormenting you all day," he giggled. "What would I do without you at my side?"

I scrunched my nose at the thought. "I never said you could leave my side, just that you don't have to stay as my secretary if it's going to be a detriment to reaching your goal."

"I will consider your offer to transfer...but know that I'll never leave you," he spoke in a whisper as he placed a kiss on my forehead. "That much, I can promise you."