Ten

[|]

I got home and called out to my mom who immediately responded from the kitchen. I smiled and walked into the kitchen where I saw her cutting some carrots. I wrapped my arms around her from behind and moved away after some seconds.

"How was school?" She asked and handed me a baby carrot.

"School was the same as always. Fun and difficult," I replied and bit the carrot then chewed.

"That's nice," she said and faced me. "About your college, dear."

"No, mom," I said, knowing where the conversation was headed. "Don't start, please."

"But, Jackie. You need to understand. Your father and I don't have the resources to help and we want the best for you."

I frowned. "Which is what?"

"He already decided that you will stay at home for maybe a year or two. You will work and—"

"No! I can't do that!" I tossed the carrot into the sink angrily. "Why should I listen to him? Who does he think he is to make such decisions about my life?! He has never done anything for this family and you think his decision is the best?! You know what, mom? Tell him that I said he should go to hell!"

I turned around and froze at the sight of my stepfather leaning against the entrance of the kitchen. I swapped my expression to glare and matched up to him then eyed him with disgust before brushing past him.

I matched into my room and locked myself. Anger boiled in my system at how uncaring my mother was. She was not like this before marrying Martinez, my stepfather. She had always wanted me to have a bright future and attend a good college even when my father was alive. She would always save for my future and after she married Martinez who she claimed was the man she loved so much, the savings she had kept for me was squandered. That was the very beginning of my problems with my mother.

It hurt me that she stopped caring about my future and how she started fighting with me each time Martinez filled her head with manipulative thoughts that caused problems between us. If only she knew what he did, she would be repulsed.

I tossed my bag aside in anger only to remember the phones in it. I ran to the bag and unzipped it. My eyes spotted the new phone which made me think of Lucas. At that, I got angry at what he had put me through. I already suffered enough and he had to add salt to my injury. I hated him so much.

I grabbed the phone and eyed the rectangular box for some seconds before tearing the white wrapping off. I opened the box and gulped at the brand new phone sitting in the box. I was tempted to keep it but as long as it came from Lucas, I couldn't.  I closed the box and dumped it in my bag then rose to my feet. I was tired and needed to sleep.

[|]

After taking a cold shower, I locked my bedroom door, knowing my mom was not around and that Martin would be returning from wherever he went soon. I walked to my bed and laid down, feeling the pull of sleep that I succumbed to.

I don't know how long I had been sleeping but when I picked up the sound of the door handle rattling, I woke up with a beating heart. I took my flashlight beside my bed and flashed it on the door. The rattling stopped but I sat in silence, hoping it wasn't what I was thinking.