Sixty-Eight

[|]

We were told that Axel had walked out of the police station a minute ago and we left the building when we asked about him, hoping to see him. One part of me was hoping we didn't because I didn't know how to stand in front of him and apologize, the other part wanted to find him so we could reconcile if he was unhappy with me.

"That's him," Lucas said beside me, pointing to my left.

I turned my head and saw him standing close to a police car, his phone in his hand and close to his face. I took a deep breath and started walking in his direction with Lucas behind me. I glanced over my shoulder at Lucas when we were close for some seconds before walking closer. Axel's shoulders flinched before he dropped the hand that held the phone and turned around.

My back straightened when his narrowed blue eyes met mine. His eyes shifted from my face to his brother's before they met mine again. I smiled and I saw the side of his lips twitch.

"Hi," I said, gulping.

"Hey," Axel said in a hoarse voice.

"I..." I bowed my head and found my nails interesting. I needed to visit the nail salon though and maybe attach an acrylic nail or just paint them.

"Jackie?" Axel called my name and I raised my head.

Before I knew it, Axel wrapped his arms around my body and pulled me into a tight hug. I sighed and wrapped my arms around his torso, hugging him back. I shut my eyes and felt emotional about his gesture. I thought he would walk away from me.

When he pulled away, I smiled up at him and he returned the smile widely and happiness in his eyes.

"How are you?" He asked.

"I'm better than before," I replied and he placed his hands on my shoulders.

"I'm sorry for scaring you, Jackie. I didn't expect you to be there. I was out to get back at Tony for what he did to a friend and one moment he was trying to apologize and the next, I see his body going stiff. I noticed him falling backward and when I saw an opened window behind him, I tried to catch him, only for him to already fall off. It was confusing for me until I saw you beside his body. I didn't even know he was shot until I came downstairs and saw the bullet hole in the back of his head."

I held his elbows and dropped his hands then cupped his cheeks. His perfectly arched eyebrows were furrowed and his eyes dull. I patted his cheeks softly and he smiled.

"Axel, you don't have to be sorry. If anyone should be apologizing, it's me. You are my best friend, the first thing I should have done was to listen to you without making the move I did that day. I know it was out of instinct because I felt betrayed, but I'm so happy that you're innocent," I said to him and he smiled wider.

"You had every right to call the cops on me. I was stupid to bring a gun with me but I did it out of protection because I didn't trust Tony," Axel said and moved back.

He looked past me and I shifted aside to stare at Lucas who was leaning against the police car, head bowed and eyes fixed on the ground.

"Lucas?" Axel said and his brother raised his head but didn't look our way. "I'm sorry for causing any of you, especially Jackie any form of distress or pain. I know you hate me more because of this and I hope you forgive me."

I wanted to tear up from how raw his voice was. I had to roll my eyes to keep my tears at bay. Lucas barely said anything, instead, he looked away and I knew he was battling his emotions on the inside. Looking at the boys, I felt they still had a love for each other as siblings. They did grow up together and I was sure that all their lives growing up together did not consist of just fighting and hating each other.

I only wish they would reconcile and forget about the one man that ruined their relationship as brothers. They would have been strong together and the best if they gave up on their enmity for one another but something about the situation might be the one thing that'll put everything to a stop.

"Jackie?" Axel called my name and I blinked out of my thoughts. "I've been calling your name."

I blushed. "Oh, sorry. What is it?"

"Uh, I have to go now. I have to look for a place to stay tonight. My friend heard about the arrest and I just saw a text from him, he's kicking me out. I would say I should leave the city but the police told me not to. Anyway, could we meet up maybe tomorrow or next?"

I nodded my head, happy that we were back to our old selves.

"Sure," I said and he grinned.

"Alright, I'll see you whenever," Axel said and ruffled the top of my head, making me frown.

I watched him slowly walk away and I turned my body toward Lucas who was now staring at his brother.

"Should we go now?" I asked and he took his key out of his pocket.

"Here. Go to the car and wait for me. I'll meet you in a minute," Lucas said, handing me his car key.

"Where are you going?" I asked and he made eye contact with me for a brief moment before looking back at where Axel was.

"I'll tell you later. Just go wait for me in the car." He leaned down and kissed my forehead before walking away.

I was confused as I watched him jog after Axel who was about to stop a taxi. I wanted to see what he was going to do but turned away and started looking for Lucas's car. I found it and boarded it, waiting for him.

I relaxed on the seat, hoping that today was the day Lucas and Axel went over their problems with each other and became brothers for real this time.

A/n: Short chapter. Lol, guys, this book is a bit long with more chapters ahead. But don't worry, we are close to the end, I think. More drama coming your way though.