Ninety-Five

[|]

"Eat something. Please, eat something. You're making me more worried about you," Maddy said, trying to force the spoon into my mouth.

"Leave me alone, please," I said in a hoarse voice, tilting my head away from the food in front of me.

I had not left the house since Lucas told me to. I was still sitting on the floor of the kitchen, waiting for him to come home. I still believed he would come back, apologizing and hearing me out. It was already almost midnight yet there was no sign of him. I had called but I realized he had blocked my number. I had even tried calling him with Maddy's phone yet he had not answered, he was smart enough to know I was the one calling.

"Jackie, you're hurting me too," Maddy said in a cracked voice. I glanced at her face, she had unshed tears in her eyes. "Please, eat something."

"Maddy, I'll be fine. You should go home. It's late," I said to her but she shook her head.

"I can't leave you here. Can you at least come stay with me at the guest house I'm staying in, please? At least for tonight? I won't be at rest if you're here all by yourself. We don't know what Lucas is capable of," she said and I sighed.

"I can handle him. He won't hurt me, Maddy. He might be angry but he won't hurt me physically," I said, vouching for Lucas.

"God, you're so stubborn," she said and rose to her feet. "I'm going to pack some of your clothes for you to stay the night at my place. Tomorrow, you can meet him, okay? He might listen to you. I'll also call Axel and have him talk to his brother."

I saw a point in her words and nodded my head in acceptance.

"Okay. Let's go," I said and stood up with her help. I held my head when I felt dizzy a bit then exhaled hard. "I'm fine."

"Just sit here while I go pack some clothes for you, okay?" Maddy said, helping me onto a stool. She brushed my hair away from my face before walking away.

I sighed and got flashes of everything that had happened hours ago. I was so hurt that I tried to believe that Lucas would not leave me. I felt numb and cold, nothing made sense to me.

Some minutes went by and Maddy came downstairs. She dropped the small bag she held on the floor and motioned for me to stand. I rose to my feet and looked around the place, taking in everything and hoping that this was not the last time I would be here.

"Let's go," Maddy said and held my hand. She grabbed the bag and pulled me to the door.

I took one last look around before walking out of the house, heart heavy and mind full.

[|]

"She's awake but hasn't eaten anything since yesterday. I've tried. Why don't you go see her and I'll be out getting food."

I rolled my eyes at Maddy's voice as I stared at the window in the room. I heard footsteps and looked at the door. Axel stood beside Maddy, worry on his face. I looked away and lifted the blanket over my shoulder, shielding my line of vision.

"Jackie?"

I pulled the blanket down and rolled onto my back before sitting up. I tucked a lock of my hair behind my ear and met Axel's eyes. He smiled and sat on the bed, his hands laced together.