Eighty-Four

[|]

"I don't fucking care where you have to go to find her! I want Ruth Hamilton found before the weekends, do you understand me?!"

I jumped at the harshness of Lucas' voice as he spoke on the phone. I was still in disbelief that such a little girl would do such a thing. A girl who had also been assaulted just like me? Why would she hurt her brother with such a thing? She put the devil to shame with her plan. She was so coy that no one would even suspect her.

"Are you okay?" Lucas asked and knelt before me.

"I'm fine. Stop bothering yourself. I was used to hurting you," I said and he shook his head.

"No, you were the only one hurt. She used you, she is a woman for fuck sake and she fucking used you! I will not spare anyone who hurts you. I don't care if they are blood-related, fully or partially. They will get what's coming to them," Lucas said with so much venom in his voice that it sent a wave of fear through me.

"Just don't do anything that'll put you in prison, please," I pleaded because I could see murder in his eyes.

"I only called some of the racers who are good at finding dirt on people. I'm also happy that we were able to find out where those boys are. Now, all I have to do is send someone there to find them," he said.

"But we need to know what part of the country they are in. You know what? I'll meet up with Andrea and have her talk to her father to help us more. Is that alright?"

Lucas cupped my cheeks and kissed my lips, making me feel the reassurance in his kiss. He pulled away and pecked my forehead.

"Be careful, please," he said and placed his hand on my stomach. "Don't stay out for too long, okay?"

I nodded. "I won't."

As soon as he rose to his feet, a knock sounded on the door.

"Come in," Lucas ordered and the door opened, revealing a smiling Maddy.

"Hi, you guys," she said and lifted her hands. She held four fashion-branded shopping bags. "I bought some things for my niece."

"Really?" Lucas asked, an incredulous look on his face.

"You know I'm an only child. So, it feels like I'm going to be a big sister or a cousin or even niece to the baby. So, I will spoil her with so much," Maddy bragged and walked over to me.

"Thank you, Maddy. But you didn't have to. The baby isn't even born yet," I said as she handed me the bags.

"That's the best part! She will have enough by the time she's born and she'll know she has a cool aunt around," Maddy said with a grin. She sat down beside me and exhaled.

"What makes you think it'll be a girl?" Lucas asked and looked down at his phone when it dinged. "Oh, I have to take this. I'll see you later."

I waved at Lucas and watched him go around the couch and then up the stairs. When I could no longer see him, I turned my head and saw Maddy scrolling through an online store app.

"So, how have you been?" I asked and she groaned.

"Stressed. I just got a text from my mom telling me there's this annual family function coming this weekend. I don't want to go but it's compulsory that I do and I don't want to go alone," Maddy complained in a baby voice.