Sixty-Six

[|]

"Oh, my goodness," Maddy said in disbelief. Her mouth was agape and her eyes wide.

"Yes, it's hard to believe but that's the truth," I said and took a sip out of my mug. I drew up the blanket around my hip and wrapped it under my arm.

"I can't believe Axel could do this. When Lucas called and told me everything yesterday, I still couldn't believe it. I was like I was dreaming," Maddy said, her face holding much sadness.

"I know how you feel. Everything just seems gloomy after seeing what Axel is capable of doing," I said and Maddy sighed.

The front door opened and Lucas walked in. I sat up at his presence, feeling relieved. He had stepped out of the house early this morning and only sent a text saying he was going through some work he had. I had missed him. Despite the things happening, I still wanted him around me.

"Hey," he said, approaching us. He leaned down and kissed my lips. "How are you?"

"Ooh, you too now confidently kiss?" Maddy asked, kicking my knee with my cold foot in the process. "Are you two dating now or something?"

I bowed my head, hiding my face with my hair. She chuckled and Lucas followed suit. I pushed his chest softly when he kissed my cheek before standing at his full height.

"Congratulations you two. I'm fucking happy! At least now Jackie has someone in her life. How long were you going to stay with a partner again?" Maddy teased and I wanted to smack her with a throw pillow.

"I hate you right now," I said and she showed me her middle finger.

"What have you girls been up to?" Lucas asked and sat down on the couch to my right.

"We were just talking about Axel and how unbelievable this is," Maddy answered and I saw Lucas's expression go from curious to sad.

"I don't even know how to react to all of these. I don't know if I should get angry for hurting you or kill him with my hands," Lucas said.

"Don't do anything crazy," I told him, frowning. I knew he was capable of doing much but I didn't want someone else going to prison.

"Has the police said anything?" Maddy asked.

"No. We're still waiting."

The room became silent, everyone to their thoughts. As my stomach churned from my intestines doing their work, a thought crossed my mind and I gasped, getting their attention. I made eye contact with Lucas who raised an eyebrow then I tilted my head, motioning for him to come with me. I rose from the couch and went upstairs.

The moment he walked in, I went over to him and grabbed his sleeve then dragged him closer so Maddy could not see us.

"What is it?" He asked and I ran my fingers through my hair.

"Lucas, I have not taken any morning-after pill." I saw his face morph into a shocking expression. He looked at my stomach before staring at my face.

"I thought you took it yesterday when you left?"

"That was when Tony had called me. Everything that happened just made me forget."