Eleven

[|]

I wasn't sure I heard right because whatever he said just sounded like something he said to sound like a joke.

"You're lying," I said, feeling slight anger in me.

Axel frowned. "Why would I lie to you?"

He had a point. I sighed and pressed the pads of my fingers to my forehead.

"So, you're saying you're related to Lucas Hamilton?" I asked and he nodded his head.

"Lucas is my brother. He's older than me by just a year. I'm eighteen. I've been in his shadow since I started this school at age fifteen and everyone knows me as his baby brother and not Axel. We both have the same parents and sometimes, I wish we don't because he doesn't act like a true brother at all."

I could sense the sadness in his tone. I wanted to walk away from Axel, especially now that I knew he was related to the jerk who sent his boys to assault me. But from what Axel was saying, he looked like he was nothing like his brother.

"Are you one of his girls or something?" Axel asked and I flinched. "Oh, sorry if that offended you."

"No, I'm not. Can we just drop this conversation?" I asked and he smiled at me before walking again. I followed suit and ignored the stares people gave us as we walked past them.

The stares continued even when we got to the hallway and I was beginning to question their sanity. It was annoying the way they stared. The Hamiltons weren't that special, not even royalty just popular people and that was it. So, what was the need to stare at us, specifically me?

"Here's my locker. I have a practice to attend before my class," Axel said as he stopped in front of one of the rows of locker.

"You play basketball?" I asked and he groaned.

"Why does everyone assume that just because Lucas plays basketball?" He rubbed his face and I bowed my head in shame.

"I apologize."

"No, don't say that," he said with a bright look on his face. "I am in the music club. I play the guitar. Hey, maybe I could play you something?"

I found myself blushing at the offer and tucked a lock of my hair behind my ear. I shuffled my foot and looked sideways, only to spot Lucas glaring right at us amid his teammates. I looked back at Axel and saw him looking in the same direction I had been staring at.

"What's his problem?" Axel muttered but I picked up what he had said.

"It's none of our business," I replied and he sharply looked down at me.

"You know my brother?"

"Well, not exactly. I was at his party last weekend and some things happened but in a general sense, I don't know him."

The warning bell rang and the people in the hall started to disperse and prepare for their class.

"I have to go," I said to him and turned to leave only to freeze when Axel held my shoulder. I looked down at his hand before facing him.

"Can I have your number?" He asked and I saw his face flush from his question.

"Sure," I said and took his phone when he showed it to me. I put in my number and handed the phone back to him before walking away.