Eighty-Seven

[|]

Jackie's POV

I looked from one person to the other, trying to understand what I had just seen. They had been hugging each other when I stepped in, making me confused because they were not too touchy with one another. They barely had any conversations, so it was suspicious the way they had been hugging themselves.

"You're back," Maddy said, getting off the stool. She pulled down her dress and I eyed the motion.

I could trust them but I was still human and felt jealous or suspicious. Lucas and Maddy had a past, which made me easily feel uncomfortable about what I had seen.

"Lucas and I were just talking about our families. Since we used to kinda know each other before," Maddy said and walked over to the couch in the living room. "I got you the dress for the event."

I pushed away every feeling I had and smiled.

"Really? What dress?" I asked as I approached her. Maddy raised the bag and handed it to me.

"You can try it out later. Right now, I want you to tell me all about the plans you have for the baby."

"Can I have my woman for a moment?" Lucas asked.

I blushed at his sentence and walked over to where he was in the kitchen. I got to him and he wrapped his strong arms around my waist and then pressed his forehead against mine.

"I hope you're not angry because of what you just saw?" He whispered to my hearing and I bit my lip.

"I was but you're my boyfriend and she's my best friend, I don't think any of you would disrespect our relationship like that," I said to him and he leaned away from my face.

"Are you sure you want to go to Redside? If you don't want to, I can tell Maddy that you're not interested. Going back there holds a lot of memories for you," Lucas said in a soft voice that held concern for me.

"Lucas, I know but I think it's time I just let some things go past me even if I am standing before them. My stepfather is dead, that's a relief. I barely even have any memories there because I was always alone with no friends," I said and he held my cheek.

"Alright... Since tomorrow is Friday, we'll leave tomorrow by noon," Lucas said to the hearing of Maddy.

I turned my and saw Maddy on her phone. She raised her head and grinned.

"Perfect. The event is on Sunday. By Monday, we should be back," Maddy added enthusiastically. "You have no idea how much your presence will help me."

I chuckled at the relieved expression on her face. It was funny how she had a perfect family yet they were not as good as they seemed to outsiders. I realized at that moment how each of our families affected us in one negative way or another. We were alike and that made us stand in a strong understanding with one another.

[|]

"We'll be arriving in Redside in thirty minutes," Lucas said from his spot behind the wheel.

I felt a sudden tension inside of me as I heard him. I had not been expecting to return to Redside so early but it was better than how I imagined it before. I didn't have anything to fear in Redside anymore.