Hundred and Twenty-Five

[|]

The loudness of the gun was ringing in my ears and I could barely hear my heartbeat. I was frozen on top of Maddy as I felt fear move through me. I gulped and wondered why I couldn't feel anything, I was numb.

I rolled away from Maddy and looked down at my stomach. There was blood on my shirt but I couldn't feel any wound. It was when I looked at Maddy, that I realized the blood belonged to her and not me. She had a bullet hole in her chest while the gun was slack in her hands. Her eyes were wide as her chest moved up and down quickly.

I rose to my feet, holding my stomach out of fear and protecting the baby in me.

"Jackie?!"

I looked up at the sound of a new voice. I saw Lucas staring at me with fear in his eyes. He ran up to me and cupped my cheeks

"Jackie, you're shot," he said.

I snapped out of my shocked state and shook my head.

"No... Not me," I replied and looked down at Maddy who was laying on the ground, still breathing.

Lucas furrowed his eyebrows and slowly followed the line of my vision. He moved to stand beside me when he saw Maddy, bleeding profusely. The grass was turning a dark shade as her blood spread under her and over her leather tank top.

"P-please," Maddy said. "Help me."

I snarled. "Help you?"

I walked toward her and raised my foot above her chest. I hesitantly placed my foot on her wound and pressed hard. Maddy screamed at the top of her voice, holding my ankle in her weak grip.

"I should help you?! You want help now?" I asked.

"Ow! It hurts. Stop," she pleaded. "I'm dying, please."

Lucas hissed behind me and stepped forward. He grabbed the gun and pointed it at her. I saw the anger and hurt on his face, even his hand was shaking as he pointed the gun at her.

"You're dying?" He asked, voice soft. "Did you just say that you're dying?"

His voice was heavy, full of so many emotions.

"My brother is dead because of you!"

My heart shattered. Axel was dead? Axel was gone? It wasn't possible. There was no way Axel could die. The heroes always survive, there was no way my best friend was dead.

"What?" I whispered.

"Axel is gone. You killed my brother and almost killed Jackie. And you lay here, begging for your life? You dare ask for help when I couldn't even help my brother?!"

"I'm sorry. Forgive me, please. I don't want to die," Maddy whispered.

"The audacity," I said. "You don't deserve to live."

"Please," Maddy begged more.

"If only you didn't end up this way. If only you allowed me and Lucas to be, maybe everyone would be happy and maybe, just maybe, Axel would still be alive. Tell me, do you expect us to allow you to live?" I asked, voice breaking and heart stinging.