CHAPTER SIX - Pearls and Champagne

"Lights, Camera, Action!"

Word Count: 3881

I drowsily lifted my head from my pillow. Stupid early morning sunshine. My phone buzzed on my dresser, lighting up with notifications. I rolled over and blinked sleepily, blinded by the bright screen.

Oh shit. I forgot it's Adrien's birthday today.

Marinette rapidly shot text messages, worrying about if Adrien would like her present. I fell out of bed holding out my phone, texting her assurance as I fell. I grabbed the materials from my desk, wrapping Jagged Stone's newest album and a few of my favorite songs that reminded me of Adrien on a mixtape. I slipped in handwritten notes in the packaging and tied the present neatly with a bow.

Actually, this kinda looks good. For once I didn't fuck up the wrapping.

I swapped some of my earring studs for tiny hearts and slung some gold necklaces on. I slipped on a pink corset, white fishnet tights, a see-through cardigan, and a soft lacy white dress. To top it off, I tied strappy white heels on and a white bow in my hair.

Not bad. I don't look like I just rolled out of bed.

I make some faces in the mirror at myself (and some finger guns) and wash my face. I hide my present behind my back while simultaneously scooping food in my mouth before running out the door to my waiting limo. My driver raised an eyebrow at my mysterious package, but decided not to say anything.

Smart man.

In front of the school, Marinette hid in a crouch behind a stone pillar with a present, watching Adrien who mindlessly chatted with Nino. Alya watched from behind her, rolling her eyes and coaching Marinette.

"You can do it! You can do it!" Alya encouraged, pumping her arms.

"I can do it! I can do it!" Marinette repeated, swinging her present. Her voice cracked, the blood draining from her face. "I can't do it! I can't do it!"

"Nope! You've been stalling all morning!" Alya says, placing her hands on her hips.

"Just talk to him!" I commanded, frustration bleeding into my voice. "Now's the time!"

Alya shoves Marinette and she stumbles in front of the two, holding her gift out awkwardly. While Marinette flounders and mixes up her words, Chloe sashays next to her. Chloe yawns, sharply shoving Marinette out of the way to get attention. Chloe wraps herself around Adrien while Marinette mutters into the ground, swearing softly to herself. Adrien glances at me standing over Marinette and tries to unwrap himself from Chloe.

'Get me out,' he mouthed, standing stiffly. I bite back a grin, blinking innocently.

'You're doing great,' I mouthed back, giving him a thumbs up.

"--those delivery guys!" Chloe continued mindlessly. "I bet it was so big they had to go back and get another guy to help. Those slackers!"

Adrien tilts his head to dodge her kiss.

"Get back there!" Alya insisted, crouching down besides Marinette. "Don't be a pushover!"

"Literally," Marinette groaned, hiding her head.

"As fun as this sounds, I gotta go," I said, shrugging. "Adrien invited me to his photoshoot."

Alya nods her head and goes back to arguing with Marinette. Adrien turned to me as I walked over.

"Did you dress up?" Adrien asked, tilting his head to look at me better.

"Does it look good or is it too much?" I responded, biting my lip nervously.