CHAPTER SIXTEEN - Bloody Noses and Fists

"I can feel your heartbeat. It's going pretty fast"

Word Count: 1393

"Sorry I'm late," I announced apologetically, swinging in through the balcony.

"No, by all means, your highness—" Chat said sarcastically, dropping into a deep bow as he ducked a flying object. "—come as late as you want."

"And I thought you'd be happy to see me," I remarked sharply, running into the fray.

Lady Wifi sneered, attempting to 'pause' me. I dodged her hand, throwing a punch that landed satisfyingly into the side of her face. She swung her other fist into my nose.

"Ow," I muttered, pressing a hand to my nose. I wiped away the tears threatening to spill and flipped away from her kick. "A little help here?"

"Trying!" Chat exclaimed unhelpfully, dodging another object. "I can't get close."

Adrenaline surged through my body as I exchanged blows with the villain. Then I blinked and she was gone.

I shook my head, feeling the blood rush.

"Come on." Ladybug gestured at us to follow her. "We can't let her pause anyone else."

We ran down the darkened hallway, following the overlapping echoes of her laughter.

"You know, it's really convenient how she disappeared just before you called me," Chat started, running down the hall.

"Come on, you don't believe she's the real Ladybug?" The spotted superheroine asked exasperatedly, as if it was a familiar overused refrain.

"I don't know what to believe. I just know that she disappeared before you got here and I can't–" Chat swung his pole like a sword, shattering a thrown vase. "–wait to hear the explanation."

"Chat, there's more pressing matters to deal with than my identity." Ladybug dodged a painting.

I swiped the back of my hand against my nose, seeing blood. I shook my head again to clear the lightheaded feeling. I paused for a minute, falling behind the duo slightly.

"Hey, are you okay?" Chat asked, suddenly noticing my sluggishness. He slowed his run to match my pace. "You look... tired."

"No, I'm fine," I insisted, forcing myself to run faster. "I just have a bloody nose."

"Okay..." He said unconvinced.

"You don't have to worry, Chaton," I assured him. "It's just a little blood."

"Tell me if it gets worse, ok?" Chat searched my eyes worriedly before relaxing. "I couldn't have my favorite renarde getting hurt on my watch."

I stared at him, stunned. "Do you ever stop flirting?"

He leaned in conspiringly, wiping the blood off my nose with a clawed finger. "It's in my nature."

I folded my arms, leaning in slightly. "Only a cat would say something like that."

"Only a fox would be so familiar with my nature." Chat smiled, examining his claws before looking back up at me. "I hate to break it to you, but we're not that different."

"Oh, yeah?" I looked him up and down, forcing a smirk from gracing my lips. "How so?"

Chat tilted his head, smirking. "You can't deny this. We both know—"

"Come on, lovebirds," Ladybug interrupted. "We don't have much time!"

I rolled my eyes and ran faster, Chat on my heels.