CHAPTER FOURTEEN - Broken Heart

"Looks like someone had a lot of fun last night"

Word Count: 1025

The airy sound of birds chittering floats through the opened window. Sun shined through boldly, casting the room in gold. The heavy duvet is comforting and heavy. I blink sleepily, slipping back to unconsciousness.

Wait. Where am I?

The bed is unfamiliar. An arm is thrown over my waist, keeping my back against a warm moving chest. I carefully turn over, facing him.

Sun bathes Adrien in a sheen of gold. His messy hair glows in the light, framing his face like a halo. The covers hide little of his naked body. It drapes just over his lower back, leaving the undefined muscles on his back exposed. A small smile graces his face, even in sleep.

He looks like a sleeping angel.

Am I falling for him?

Shit. I am.

Adrien stirs. He opens his eyes happily. "Good morning."

"Morning. What happened last night?" I asked, getting to the point.

"You were amazing," Adrien murmured sleepily, a dreamy expression on his face.

Then it hit me.

"Oh my god. Oh my fucking god. You–You are in my bed," I gasped, my voice raising an octave.

"This isn't your bed," Adrien said, a slight laugh in his voice.

"Wh-who-Where am I?"

"My room. You don't remember anything?" He tilted his head, blinking sleepily.

"It comes back in little pieces but not everything. And my head is killing me."

"That would make sense," Adrien said, shaking his head in disbelief. "I've never seen you so wasted."

"Did we—?" I trailed off, gesturing between us.

Adrien shook his head. "No, we just ended up kissing."

"Oh, good. Look, Adrien..." I sat up slightly, wincing. "I don't want to hurt you. I'm already seeing someone and I don't want to give you false hope."

"Oh, really? Are you two dating?" He asked incredulously, a touch of amusement in his voice.

"Not really. He's–It's more of a... situationship."
"I think he'll be fine," Adrien said drily, rolling over.

"Adrien!" I exclaimed, shock apparent in my voice. I hit his back and he turned over. He raised his eyebrows exasperatedly, an out-of-character move.

And in that moment... Adrien reminded me of Chat.

I tilt my head over him to see him from a different angle, my eyes burning with realization. Adrien's confidence falters as he's trapped in my questioning gaze. His green eyes soften in the warm sunlight, flitting between my eyes and lips. His lips part slightly as he stares still. Adrien reaches up to pull my hair back, pulling me in. I close my eyes as his breath ghosts over my lips—

Knock, knock.

"Adrien?" A woman's stern voice asks through the door. "Are you awake? You're going to be late for school."

"Just a minute!" Adrien yells, silently signaling me towards the bathroom.

My eyes light with understanding as I roll off the bed.

"Look away. I'm naked," I hissed, making a sheet into a makeshift dress as I hurriedly picked up my clothes from the floor. Adrien blushes silently, turning away dutifully.

Definitely not Chat.

I pick up my clothes from the floor and scramble towards the bathroom. I wash my face and shimmy back into my dress. I wait for the voices to stop and sneak out.

"That was a close one," I whisper to myself, texting my driver my location as I walk towards the school.

~

Ring.

I slumped in my seat tiredly. Adrien enters a few minutes after me, his book bag slung over his shoulder haphazardly.

Marinette, ever the sucker, watches his every move.

"Care to explain the marks on your neck?" Alya questioned, sweeping my hair away from my neck. She side-eyed me conspiringly. "Looks like someone had a lot of fun last night."

"I don't remember. I had a lot to drink."

"Adrien looks pretty tired, too," Alya pointed out sneakily. "Did you two keep each other up?"

"Alya!" I gasped, stunned by her nuances.

"I just want to know! You didn't tell us anything."

"I'm done with the conversation now," I muttered exasperatedly, closing my eyes for a minute as an oblivious Marinette starts gushing about Adrien.

I woke up to an empty classroom.

Fuck.

I scooped my papers into my bag, rushing out. I decided to walk home to clear my head. The clear air settled the fog in my head. I took a deep breath, calming myself.

Immediately, I sense something change. I clench my hand into a fist, swinging at my attacker.

"Whoa," Chat raised his hands in false surrender, dodging it. "Calm down, I haven't said anything yet."

"Somehow you don't even have to open your mouth to make my head hurt," I quipped, my mouth set in a slight smile. I dropped my fist, frowning. "What is it this time?"

"Just here to accompany you. Ready for our usual routine?" Chat offered his arm like a gentleman.

"Actually, yes," I admitted, sighing. "I'm too low on energy to walk home today."

Chat gathered me in his arms and bounded over the rooftops. I closed my eyes, savoring the moment.

"Here's your stop," Chat said quietly after setting me down.

"I didn't have to tell you this time," I said, slightly impressed. I narrowed my eyes. "How'd you remember where I live so well?"

"You're too unforgettable and I'd like to remember where you live next time you want me to come over," He said smoothly, the corner of his mouth lifting up.

"Keep dreaming," I said, smirking.

"That's it? I'm dismissed just like that?" Chat asked, leaning over me cockily.

I twisted my hands, chewing on my lip thoughtfully. "Actually, there's something I need to talk to you about."

"Oh, really?" He folded his arms, raising an eyebrow.

I let out a breath. "Last night, I was at a party and I kissed someone. Adrien Agreste."

He let out a breath slowly. A calculated pause. "It's fine."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I get it. You're not my girlfriend. I can't stop you from seeing other people," He nodded once and jumped off the balcony, saluting me. "I have to go. Catch you around."

"Then what are we?" I whispered to myself, watching the outline of him disappear.