CHAPTER TEN - Makeover Madness

"There's no shame in keeping two pots simmering on the stove"

Word Count: 492

Warm streams of sunlight shone through the balcony window. The door was slightly ajar, letting a gentle breeze sway the curtains. I blearily blinked my fatigue away, smoothing down my messy bedhead.

I sat up in my bed, noticing a gold-lined envelope on my bureau. Instantly, I recognize Adrien's formal handwriting:

My father's out of the country for a business meeting. I'm throwing a small pool party tonight with a few close friends. Please consider coming? I had such a fun time at my last photoshoot when you were there.

"Trixx?" I whispered for my kwami. "Are you awake yet?"

"I am now!" The small fox whispered back sarcastically. She flew in front of the invitation, spilling pink crumbs on the cursive words. "Ooh, an invitation to Adrien's house? Are you going?"

"Swimming and partying? I'm going."

Trixx glanced slyly out of the corner of her eye. "I'm sure the fact it's at Adrien's house is more of an incentive."

"I made out with Chat last night. That's not really grounds to start something with Adrien."

"But you like him?"

"It's not really like that. He's sweet but he's kind of bori—"

"You were basically grinding on him at that photoshoot."

"We're just friends!"

"With benefits?" Trixx snickered, wiggling her eyebrows.

I shoved a second macaroon into her mouth, my eyes widening at her innuendos. "Keep your fucking voice down, ok?"

Trixx raised an eyebrow, grumbling to herself.

She chewed it loudly. Silence.

"There's no shame in keeping two pots simmering on the stove," The tiny kwami pointed out.

"Maybe," I murmured reluctantly, smiling at her excited reaction. "I just don't want to hurt him. We'll see how it goes ok?"

Ding dong.

An aggressive banging at my front door shook me awake. I rushed down, sliding down the gold railing and skidding over the cool marble floor.

"You look like shit. Were you asleep?" Alya asked before throwing her arms around me in a quick hug.

"It was a quick nap," I said, shrugging.

"It's 6:30," Alya added, tilting her head skeptically.

Mari stumbled in from behind her, hoisting a large unsteady box of supplies. Her welcome was muffled by swaths of fabric and make-up tools.

I rushed them upstairs and gathered the supplies on the bed. I turned on a speaker, blasting music.

"Ok, let's get to work!" Mari exclaimed, picking up a brush.

Alya pushed the doors to my closet, hesitantly walking in.

"You have a walk-in closet?" She asked in disbelief.

"Come on," Mari reminded us, picking an armful of clothing off the racks. "We don't have much time to get ready."

"I need help deciding what to wear."

"Leave that to me," Alya says.

After half an hour of trying on numerous outfits and accessories, I walked out in my final choice. 

Marinette gasped, her eyes watering comically. "You look so pretty."

"All thanks to my guidance," Alya said jokingly, eying me approvingly. She nods, high-fiving me.

I check myself out in the mirror and quickly finish my make-up. 

"Ok, I'm ready."