CHAPTER SEVEN - Keeping Secrets

"Cat Got Your Tongue?"

Word count:  783

I pucker my lips to apply lip gloss and sweep a few stray hairs from my face. I stared into the school bathroom mirror.

"You kind of look like Ladybug," Alya murmured, squinting her eyes and tilting her head to look at me better. She shook her head of red hair. "Pass the lipgloss, girl."

"What?" I asked, my eyes widening as I registered her words. I passed her the tube and went back to applying mascara, trying not to seem nervous. "No, I don't. We look nothing alike."

She stopped rummaging through her bag to look at me. "That's exactly what Ladybug would say."

"Or a normal person telling the truth."

Alya watched me fix my hair for a minute in silence before breaking. "Just tell me! It'll stay between us, girl."

"And the Ladyblog," I quipped, giving her a look. I drew my eyeliner wing, trying not to let my hands shake.

"You say that like it's a bad thing!" Alya exclaimed. She raised her hands in mock surrender.

"It would be if I had to keep a secret identity."

"So you admit it!" Alya slammed her hands on the counter excitedly.

"If is the key word," I reminded her. "I'm not Ladybug."

"Fine. You don't want to tell me. That's–that's ok. Sooner or later, I will find out what you're hiding!" She promised, tossing the lip gloss bottle to me.

I caught the lip gloss tube in a daze and stood in shock. A crowd ran past the bathroom, rushing outside. I gripped the papers in my hand tighter, anchoring myself back to reality.

Shit. If she starts digging into me being Ladybug, she'll find I'm Rena Rouge. Ladybug is going to be so pissed.

I shook myself out of my thoughts and checked myself in the mirror one last time before going to my locker. I dug through my locker for my latest modeling outfit: a red blazer set with black lace undergarments, strappy black heels and matching red hair ribbons. I folded my outfit and shoved it in my purse before running to my limousine waiting outside.

I drove a few blocks and saw a fight breaking out. I left my bag in the limo, asking the driver to wait for me. I ran into an alley and transformed, running towards the sound of bad puns.

"Took you long enough!" Chat yelled, glancing at me.

"I'm here, aren't I?" I answered, deflecting a flying object with my flute. "I was busy, ok?"

"Glad you could make it!" Ladybug shouted, using her yo-yo to swing down and land in a power stance.

"Where's the akuma?" I answered, getting to the point. Ladybug pointed and I sprinted towards the villain. I freed the akuma and Ladybug captured it, using her yo-yo to purify the city.

"Bye, bye, little butterfly," Chat Noir mimicked suddenly in a high voice under his breath. I laughed and snorted, almost falling over in surprise. Ladybug looked over at us, raising an eyebrow.

"That's not funny," I gasped, desperately trying to regain my composure in front of Ladybug.

"Why are you laughing then?" Chat grinned.

"I don't know," I said bluntly. "I just find things funnier than they are."

"You snorted," Chat pointed out, his smile growing.

"I did?" I asked, mortified. My eyes widened. "I hate when I do that."

"Don't be. It was cute," Chat said honestly, his smile turning softer. "I've never heard you laugh but I like it. You should do it more often."

I blinked. I am utterly speechless. And he loves it. I know he does.

"What?" Chat teases after a pause, turning back into his usual annoying self. "Cat got your tongue?"

"Like hell," I murmured, glaring at him. "You want my tongue now?"

"Only in my mouth," Chat answered smoothly.

"Bet," I spit out, pulling his head down. His ring started beeping. I stopped, our lips hovering an inch apart. "You're going to detransform. Bye, Chat."

"Like hell. You're not going away this time," Chat growled, pulling my face sharply to his. "I've wanted to kiss you for so long."

"How can you want me when you don't know me?" I whispered, gently pressing a finger to his lips. I backed up slowly. "I really have to go, kitty. I can't see you detransform."

"Catch you later," he said, his voice fading as I ran.

I sat on my bed after my photoshoot in my modeling outfit and finished my homework. I opened my phone to several long voicemails from Alya, promising to find my secrets. I laughed so hard I snorted.

"What's so funny?" A voice asked from behind me. I screamed, grabbing a pillow to throw.