CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR - The Death of Chivalry

"You know we can't. Especially not here."

Word Count: 1614

After minutes of searching and attendants, I saw the shoes. Vintage heels crafted from a simple blushing pink. The lace, slightly faded, is inlaid with roses. The heel is delicate, fashioned to the foot by a single ribbon-like sash.

Perfect.

"Those are the shoes!" I exclaimed excitedly, pulling on his sleeve to bring him along. I catch him eying where my fingers fist the fabric, clenching his jaw to hide his grin.

Adrien tapped a finger against his lips, pretending to think. "Roses. Always roses. Why is it always roses with you?"

I shrug flippantly, unable to wipe the natural smile spreading across my face. "I think it's my thing. My signature."

His hands are stuffed in his pockets casually as he leans down to hear me better. "Oh, yeah?"

My breath catches in my throat. My voice is a sound barely coaxed from my throat. "Yeah."

Adrien shakes his head, running a hand over his smile. But his twinkling eyes never leave mine. My head is spinning and I'm losing it. Who is this Adrien? It's so unlike him to be so... loose and free.

The attendant rushed over, breaking the tension. Her tone was shaky with barely concealed enjoyment as she looked between us. "Can I help you with anything?"

"Those shoes, please." I pointed to the heels, grateful for the distraction.

The attendant nodded vigorously, taking the shoes down for me. "Can I help you with anything else?"

"Maybe a dressing room? I'd like to try these on."

"Of course. Celebrity clients get private rooms." The attendant turned around, beckoning us to follow. "This way, please."

I followed her to an intimately lit area complete with various pillows and couches. Lush rugs swathed the expanse of the large floor. Muted tones painted the old dressing room in gentle melancholy. Gilded mirrors with ornate frames faded with time. The air smelled vaguely of old perfume and linens.

"Happy trying on," the woman said sweetly, disappearing down the long corridor.

After she left, Adrien spoke softly. "I found a dress for you to try on."

The sound leaving my lips is part laughter and a sigh of exhaustion as I survey the hanger dangling from his fingertips. "You're a terrible enabler. This is why I'm banned from shopping. I might just buy out the whole store."

The blonde grinned lazily, leaning back into his chair as he watched me open the shoebox with mild interest. "Don't worry, you won't be paying for anything. This little shopping excursion is on me."

I crossed my arms, shaking my head. "I won't let you buy anything."

Adrien tilted his head as if amused by me. His polite smile was infuriating. "Just try it on. See if it fits."

I purse my lips, pointing a finger threateningly at him. "Fine. But no promises."

The curtain shut behind me in a grandiose show of finality, making a point. I tried on the dress, sighing pleasantly at how it complimented my figure.

The soft shades of sage green seem to blend against my s/c skin. It's soft, seeming to caress my bruised body with a featherlight touch. The fabric cinches at my waist, the fabric dipping gently at my hips in a fit that alludes to the shape of my legs while leaving more to imagination.

But...

The skirt is just an inch too high, exposing the bruises still blossomed under the faded makeup across my thighs.