CHAPTER 10

The garden was beautifully adorned with lighting. Candle jars of different colors sat on beautiful tripods. Towards the end of the garden was a large gazebo decorated with pendant lights candles and floor lights. Along the pillars,tiny light bulbs were arranged vertically. A chandelier was hanging from above, in the middle of the roofing. Yasmeen was awed. She had seen decorations like this before, but not for birthday parties. This looked like a first class wedding event decoration. She knew the Bashirs were filthy rich but she didn't think then this extravagant. This was a little girls birthday party for god's sake. Many kids are starving in Africa, in Nilefa itself.

Baby appeared in a beautiful purple gown. She was wearing makeup. Plenty of it. Baby already had big eyes, and the makeup made them look even bigger.

" Thank God you are here early." They hug" how do I look"

"Stunning dear, just stunning!" Yasmeen beamed." Ali would drop dead if he saw you now"

" That's why I am sending him pictures" she waved her phone, happy. " Let's go to the gazebo, it is the perfect spot for pictures this night"

" I am speechless. That thing is beautifully made. I will have you give me the decorator's number before I leave."

" My brother made them." She flashed her a smile.

" Mustapha must be talented. Oh I can't wait to have him make one for me. " Yasmeen waa ecstatic. She praised Mustapha again and again before Baby cut in.

" Yaa Abdulsalam made it. Mustapha knows only to game." Yasmeen was shocked. " It's the first time in their school someone is scoring 100% average. Yaagana scored the perfect mark. The day they brought their results, Yaa Abdulsalam promised her the biggest birthday party ever. He invited the Shawn the sheep characters even! It's her favorite show. Have you seen the chocolate fountain?"

Yasmeen was torn between being being happy that it was someone she knew who made such a wonderful decoration and being sad that it's actually someone that wouldn't help her make hers. She wanted a gazebo in their garden too. Well she could come up with a way to make him do it without letting him know. And she didn't like chocolates, not to talk of a whole fountain Baby didn't know.

"Happy birthday Yaagana" Yasmeen said hugging Yaagana who looked beautiful in a white and pink dress. The Mai Kuras wished the birthday girl and presented the gifts they brought with them.

A few kids from their school came. They danced, roamed about. Some played on the swings taking turns while others used the slides. They would be cutting the cake by 8pm, when Abdulsalam was back home  Baby did not invite any friends because she thought they were nosy and wouldn't be quiet about her and the governor's son.

"How did you meet Ali" Yasmeen asked.

" On a condolence visit to the government house. The governor's mother died." Baby spoke casually.

" What an event to catch fancy" Yasmeen said, a surprised look on her face.

" You can say that again. He didn't approach me though, he just sent me a beautiful Arabian oud perfume , through his assistant,with a letter attached. His number was on the letter and I called him." Baby relayed with joy.

" That's so cute." Yasmeen smiled.

She was enjoying her cup of tea when she heard cheering from a distance. She looked up and saw the children coming towards the gazebo she was in. Of course she would sit in it for the rest of the evening. She couldn't resist it, it was beautiful.

It appeared it was time to cut the cake and Audu was back. Yasmeen gulped down the rest of her tea as it was getting cold already. All the kids gathered in the gazebo and Baby lit the candles. Audu came in and stood next to Yaagana by the cake and Baby next to him. Yasmeen stood taller than everyone, despite her height, she wore high heels. She could see above everyone's head. She looked to Audu's head and smiled wickedly 'too much attitude for his height' she thought. Baby stood between them. He as usual was not paying attention to her. Earlier when he came in, he glared at her, it was the only action that passed between them.

They sang happy birthday and Yaagana blew the candles. The next thing she felt was Baby's absence between them. She barely registered when she was pushed flush against him as everyone was struggling to partake in the cake cutting. She strived to steady herself, the children were still pushing against her.

" Hey back off" Audu said frowning.

" I'm trying" she narrowed her eyes at him. Then she started to laugh at the kids' silliness." All this trouble for a cake?" She said pushing her way out of the gazebo, leaving Audu without sparing him a glance, as if she wasn't just a minute ago pressed flush against him, almost touching her lips to his forehead.

She didn't know if she mistook it, but Audu looked offended. This look was different from the one he gave her when he arrived. Him and his looking, she shrugged. Baby fed her the chocolate cake. Later they all fed each other. The Shawn the sheep team danced for the birthday girl and presented her their gift. Yaagana was full of delight. She hugged her brother tight. Yasmeen looked at the siblings dreamily as baby joined them. Baby probably said one of her Jolly lines because they all laughed and Audu pulled her cheek. She pouted, but it didn't last. She broke into a sweet smile.

Yasmeen admired how easily Audu could make his family smile. She wanted that too, a big brother that could make her smile. She longed to have her brother back home, but hardly would it make any difference as he was there in the US , in rehab. He brother hardly ever had time for them. He only cared about his useless drug addict friends who made him spend relentlessly on them. She could now see why father liked Audu so much and wanted him for her. Father could never go wrong when he made a choice. He had good taste. Audu was the son he longed to have, and getting them married was the way to do it. She wasn't entirely going to ignore the fact that she was attracted to him, now more than ever.

Yasmeen walked up to them so she could get to talk to Audu pleasantly.

" I need to go take a shower. I am exhausted and sweaty. My office's AC broke down, I need to call Bashar to fix it too. I'd say goodnight girls." He turned to leave.

" Wait." He stopped and turned to face the person who called to him." I wanted to say this party is beautiful. I LOVE the gazebo, it's the best I've ever seen. I would love if you made one on our garden." Yasmeen stated with excitement.

" Thank you, but it's not my job going around, making gazebos on people's gardens. You can easily contact people who do it for a living. Goodnight" and he left.

Yasmeen continued to smile as it was what she had been doing from the moment he started speaking. She didn't mind his rudeness or the rejection. His Kanuri-hinted accent oozed some aura she couldn't decipher.

____________________________________

She was preparing for bed when her phone rang. It was a new number. She answered the call and placed it on speaker mode.

" Yasmeen! My daughter how are you?" Came screechy-faulty-car-engine voice.

" Uncle Bashir good evening" she was confused about why he was calling at that time of the night, 10:43.

" You came to our house earlier, their mother just informed me. You should have alerted me earlier on, I would have loved to come meet you." She concluded he had something to say to her. He could miss his daughter's birthday but wouldn't miss speaking to a guest there?

He continued" you will come sometime soon, won't you my daughter?"

"Yes it's a pity we couldn't see earlier. I will come visit you soon, Uncle.

" Oh yes I will have you properly delivered. Thursday will do. There's something important I want to talk to you about." There it is! THE UNION with the barrister. She couldn't wait to see her future father in-law on Thursday.

" I'm looking forward to it uncle Bashir." His voice wasn't bad after all, she thought, smiling to both ears.