CHAPTER 33

Was it a nightmare? It must be. He must've fallen into slumber the moment he'd closed his eyes. He started chanting some Dua hoping the demon in his mother's form would disappear. No it wasn't a dream, because the moment he began to recite the Dua, he got a smacking.

" Innalillahi wa Inna ilaihirajiun" Abdulsalam fell back on the pillows. The room was still dimly lit, so he reached for the remote and turned the lights on.

Halima didn't miss the look of exasperation on his face, but didn't matter. As long as she gained control over her son's life as much as Bashir, or even more, she had to make things go her way, starting with this wedding happening.

" I wanted to surprise you. I went to you uncles and pleaded with them to go on your behalf since your father won't." Halima sat on the side of the bed, and began stroking his head.

" My father didn't know? How is that possible-.."

" Shhh... Every one of your uncles is as much a father to you, my son. And each of them has the lawful right to get you married."

" No, but it's not fair Maa. How could you do this without telling me first? You should have at least asked me if I approve of it."

" What do you take me for? A child!? Do I need to seek your permission before chosing what I think is best for you? Uma dey nya yambuko!( I gave birth to you!) When your father fixed your wedding with the Mai Kura girl, did you confront him the way you just did? Uma naa kunon3m.( It's me you have no regards for isn't it?). " Halima was furious. She had stopped stroking his head, putting her hand to better use by keeping it to herself.

" Maa it's not like that." Abdulsalam felt bad himself. He never wanted to make his mother feel the way she did. "  I am sorry I made you feel that way. You know I would never disrespect you. It came as a surprise to me and that's why I reacted that way."

" It wasn't a positive reaction from you. Do you really not want to marry Khadija?" She demanded an answer to that, and  Abdulsalam had to be honest.

" I just broke up with her. I don't think it's ever going to work between us." He explained holding Halima's hand in both of his.

He was puzzled by the way her face softened with a smile. She laughed even, wiping the drop of tear beneath her eye." You are going to be fine. It's just that you are angry that you can't get hold of her emotions. This marriage will fix everything, okay?" She caressed him. Abdulsalam, stunned, didn't know what to say. He just watched her walk off to the door and leave after switching the lights off.

Abdulsalam couldn't sleep after that. He embraced his tasbih and sat on the prayer mat, praying to God to make things easier for him, and to choose for him, what was best.

______________________________

Eid day

  Abdulsalam sat, legs stretched across the length of the prayer mat, hands still holding the tasbih as he slumbered, leaning against the bed. He absently still said the Dua he'd been on from the time his mother had left his room after delivering the rather horrifying news. As much as he was in a tough situation, his stomach cried for food.He remembered he hadn't eaten much from last night after fasting a whole day. The rumbling in his stomach synced with Kassim's snoring. He stood up and stretched his limbs, yawning through the process. He dropped his aching body on the bed and reached for his phone and dialed Meena's number.

" Assalamualaikum." Her voice was proof that she had woken up this morning, happy and had eagerly answered his call on the first ring.

" Wa alaikum salam. Ya Hajja."