CHAPTER 12

When they arrived home, Hauwa went straight to her room, wearing a smirk. Her outrage towards Bukar gave her the satisfaction she had always needed. For a man who was once a governor, he was weak and gullible. It was easy to subdue him. It was no lie that he had her terrified when he threw words of threat towards her husband. Her relief came with Dr Abdulkarim's words of comfort and knowledge, towards Bukar. Even when she threatened to have his tongue if he continued to pass threats towards her, and she was serious, Bukar managed to inflict dread upon her. A politician's threat, Bukar, of all people might mean nothing to her in the past, but now she had something to lose.

She stood in the shower, reveling in the coolness the water rained upon her. ' Professor, I am concerned about you. You are a good man, a man who is supposed to be in the classroom, teaching. If you proceed with your endeavors, I fear it will be the end of you'

How could everyone not see how determined the man was? She asked herself as Bukar's words seeped into her thoughts. She had to do something about the earlier happenings. She wouldn't take it lightly.

Having dressed in her sleepwear, she prayed to Allah for her family's safety. She was going to find Abdulkarim in his room when she heard his voice in the sitting room. Did they have guests? She quietly went back in her room and wore a hijab over her. 

It was Alhaji Bashir. He was at the meeting earlier. Dr Abdulkarim might not be experienced in the political domain, but he had good support, Hauwa though, Alhaji Bashir for one. Alhaji Bashir for the past 2 years had helped her husband in his struggles. He had stood by him from the time he joined the party officially. Alhaji Bashir and her father,for members of the same party never went along well, but he introduced her to his friend and trusted her for support.

Hauwa was initiating great development for the party, the Youth for PDC program. She was it's leader for two years, before she became the new state secretary for the party and it's financial secretary at the same time.. She and Dr Abdulkarim first met on the day of the grand opening of the new PDC headquarters. Later that day at the dinner party of the occasion, they had spoken. It was more of greetings and felicitation. With Hauwa for her new positions in the party and Dr Abdulkarim, for joining the party.

Not long after their first meeting, Dr Abdulkarim, along with Alhaji Bashir had come to visit Alhaji Garwa. Hauwa was home, aware of their presence, but didn't feel the need to go and say hello, although she wanted to. Meanwhile, they had come seek her hand in marriage, unknown to her.

Alhaji Garwa asked for her. When she arrives where they were sitting she gave them a casual greeting. Alhaji Garwa explained to his daughter why the gentlemen had come. Accepting or rejecting suitors was what she did for herself now. She had married before, twice.

Alhaji Bashir as the wingman did the talking at first, then left them two alone to chat. Abdulkarim wasn't much of a talker. He almost ruined his chance with her by being honest and telling her he was marrying her for the benefit of his interest in the governorship. Hauwa accepted his offer without asking for anything in return. He then promised her the office of the first lady, if he won.

Presently, she joined the men in the parlour, where they were shooting the air, recollecting the earlier happenings.

" You know Hajja Hauwa, I don't know who's daddy Alhaji Garwa is between you and Bukar." Bashir said making them laugh." For years now, even in his time as the governor, he always had Alhaji Garwa fight for him. Have you seen the rage in his eyes? Usually when things like that happened, he ran to your father"  he laughed heartily." He's in dilemma now!"

Hauwa only smiled.

" We could have handled it like adults. All the ranting wasn't necessary because all of us are a party. I could not have spoken to him any better. It occurs I didn't know the language he understands." Dr Abdulkarim added. " We shall not withdraw our offer though."

"Of course! Although now that he knows his place" Bashir turned to Hauwa" and your place, perhaps you will be the one he'll be running to when they bark at him" he laughed even harder now, and the two joined him.

" He's foolish to think Grema has any chance winning the primaries. I am not grudging though. Having their efforts thrown back at them while we win is only going to make us look better." Hauwa stated. They talked about other things, then Bashir left.

" I'm making tea. Do you want some?" Hauwa asked Abdulkarim who was sitting in the patio chair.

" Of course I want some. After a long stress filled day, it'll help me relax." Hauwa merrily left to the kitchen to make tea.

As they sipped their tea, they talked about the expenses for the events they were anticipating. He was spending the night here today, so she took her time with every detail.

" Hauwa."

"Na'am." Hauwa raised her head from the papers to look at him. He set his cup down on the small table and began.

" I am sorry for the way I spoke to you the other day. I should not have compared our reasons for marriage to Yasmeen. Here I'm just a big selfish politician and-"

" No doctor. You are right to choose for your daughter and I am over what is past" she consoled him. He was new to this, having social, personal and political lives interplay. His expression almost made her hold his hand to comfort him, reminding her how she grabbed his hand at the meeting earlier. Recalling the feel of his hand in hers made quick shivers run down her spine. Just as she was about to pull her hand back from the table, he grabbed it, making her gasp softly.

" Thank you Hauwa."