CHAPTER 31

Ruwaya had called earlier, telling Hauwa she was on her way to the house, from the airport.

Hauwa left work early to welcome her sister in law in her house. She had asked kolo to prepare a special dish for their guest. The children were elated at the news of her arrival, except for Yasmeen whose excitement was shortlived. When Hauwa asked her why, she'd answered that her aunt Ruwaya would be twice as nagging as she'd used to be, now that her the wedding was near. That made Hauwa laugh. Yasmeen was right about her aunt, her father said the same thing. She'd called Abdulkarim often, and she'd overheard  them on the phone, Ruwaya had always only complained. Yasmeen wasn't the shy type, but she'd most definitely not want her aunt around her in this time.

Hauwa stood behind the door and pondered for a while what it would be like having Ruwaya around for the rest of the week. She knew Ruwaya didn't like her, and that she was only coming to stay because her brother dictated so.

Abdulkarim was doing his best to unite his family, and Hauwa admired and respected that. The day he told her the kids were coming to spend Ramadan together, she couldn't believe him. The children's arrival that evening stunned her. Although she knew Aishe wouldn't wholeheartedly allow the children to stay with her, she still appreciated the fact that Aishe didn't object when she was asked to do so. It had been a wonderful month having them around, she hoped Ruwaya's presence wouldn't ruin it.

The car had stopped seconds ago. Hauwa was waiting for the door to be knocked first, but then decided against it and opened the door to welcome her.

" Wushe k3nshero" Hauwa beamed.(welcome)

Ruwaya whom had just stepped on the platform, looking fresh and feigning exhaustion, walked towards Hauwa, her high-heeled sandals softly hitting the marbled floor.

"Lale wushe" (thank you)

Hauwa knew she was up to further greetings, but she tried." How was your flight?"

" Terrible! I waited a whole day for a single flight. This is the last time I am flying with the NSA"

" The state mass airline. " Hauwa was surprised Ruwaya chose that to start with. She was always about luxury.

" Yes! You can see why settling for what's not fitting is frustrating." Ruwaya exclaimed. Hauwa wasn't surprised by her pickiness. Judging by the manner her brother treated her, she was a spoilt brat and her arrogance was valid. She was a Mai Kura after all, it was their thing. She was scanning the living room, fingering any furniture she came across." I don't see the kids. Have you not told them I was coming?"

Hauwa was about to respond when Amir jumped out of the dining area, startling both of the them. Ruwaya gave him a playful scolding before hugging him." Why'd you cut your hair?"

" It's our schools policy to cut our hair low." Amir answered pouting. Hauwa shook her head when Ruwaya showered the school with all sorts of insults for cutting her nephews beautiful hair.

_________________________________
Meanwhile

" I see what you're doing here." Yasmeen fake smiled.

" What?" Abdulsalam asked like he was clueless.

" You are trying to point out that I am skinny."

" No. I actually pointed that out." Yes he did.

" And you are trying to make me feel bad about it. Sorry to disappoint you, I am not affected." Letting the veil fall from under her arm.

" Really? You've been pretty conscious of your veil dropping earlier."