CHAPTER 19

On his return home, Abdulsalam met his mother and siblings dining. He paced up so he could avoid his mother, but just before he reached the corridor leading to his apartment, she called.

" Are you not eating with us?"

" I'm not hungry" he answered facing away from them.

" Come on I made some ginger juice" Baby sang.

" No thanks."

"I can bring it to your room. There's -"

" No one comes to my room. See you all tomorrow" he said wishing his mother would adhere to it. He was sure in a few minutes she would be knocking on his door and entering without permission, which he would be giving be giving but just after she entered the room. She would want to talk on the topic he dreaded the most. The Him-Yasmeen-Khadija triangle. It was the last thing he wanted after a long day. He used to find his father's political talks tedious, but now it would be rewarding to hear them compared to his mother's troubling words.

He was not used to having choices or options. He was always told what to do and when to do it. Places to go, friends to be around, whom to talk to, what car to drive, where to live. The closest he was to making his own choices was when he wanted to move out of the house, which ended with his mother condemning it to making him live inside the house with them, closer, and with a bigger chamber, which obviously meant NO LEAVING. His father didn't have problem with him leaving the house at first. He thought it was brave , until his mother managed to convince him  otherwise.

He sighed as the warm water fell on his skin. He stood under the shower for minutes, just standing, feeling the lines the water was making as it flowed down his body. He closed his eyes for a while, then opened them sharply, gasping. He quickly used his soaps and left the bathroom as if he was being chased.

___________________________________

The next morning, Hajju arrived at the Mai Kuras  to felicitate with her son in-law on his winning the primary elections.

" Aishe don't wake him up. I will be here all day." Hajju said in her sweet voice,softly.

" He is up already. I already told him you were on your way." Aishe said smiling. She was merry. It was the first time Hajju was visiting them since their return. " Sayinna is taking long to return. He didn't use to tour this long "

" That you know of. It's your father's tour season. He would visit some of his friends before Ramadan came. He does this every other year." Hajju stated nicely. She inspected Aishe's face reading pale sadness." Aishe is something wrong?"

Aishe shook her head frantically." Everything is fine Hajju. Aimaba dey . I was just inquiring." She smiled." Ruwaya would not stop asking if he's back."

" He would rush back home if he knew she was calling." Hajju laughed, Aishe joining her.

As the women talked, the maids arranged snacks on the table for Hajju. Amir, who had just woken up ran to her, crushing her in a hug. As she hugged him back, he snuggled into the hug filling her with his foul morning breath.

" Amir go freshen up first" Aishe instructed, but Hajju held him closer stating that she didn't mind. When Abdulkarim arrived downstairs, he crouched down to greet Hajju. Aishe simpered at his gesture. She was happy that he had won the election and stayed up late in the night for his return. Until he arrived while she was eagerly waiting to congratulate him.

She watched from the living room windows upstairs, hoping she wasn't seen as she thought it was childish to be seen all jolly. She peeped through the curtains she had slightly shifted, hiding the rest of her and watched as he exited the car. Her smile disappeared on the sight of the person that appeared from the other door. Hauwa Sadiq, all dolled up wearing a delightful smile. Aishe watched as she walked around the car and then to Abdulkarim. Rage was building up within her and she could almost hear her heart pounding in her chest. Abdulkarim only stood there as she increased their proximity. As Hauwa got closer and closer to Abdulkarim, Aishe took a step back, veiling the torturous sight before her. The night was ruined for her. She returned to her room while the children were downstairs ready to welcome their father home.