CHAPTER 36

The tension in the room was palpable. No one said a word since Aishe had thrown a bunch of rhetorical questions at the latest arrived duo. Yasmeen bit repeatedly on her index fingernail, assuming a quietness she wasn't known for.

Aishe was doing a perfect job containing her anger in order not to draw their guests' attention to them. Yasmeen could see that, especially now that everyone believed Habeeb was back to join his family for his sister's wedding. However, the drama wasn't about to start yet, not when Habeeb and their father weren't in the same room.

" I don't know why you are making this such a big deal out of this! It's not like I escap-...."

" Shut up Habeeb. Not a word from you." Aishe began to dial her husband's number.

Habeeb shrugged as if he did not care; meanwhile, his heart was threatening to leave his chest in apprehension of meeting with his father.

"This is worse than escape, you two. Escaping would have given us the benefit of blaming the facility for their recklessness!" Aunt Ruwaya spat." What if something bad had happened? You two could easily have gotten kidnapped without anyone knowing. The son of a governorship candidate and his cousin who is also the Shehu's daughter." Aunt Ruwaya slapped her thighs with both hands dramatically. "Great fortune. Even for me!"

Yasmeen tried not to laugh at Aunt Ruwaya's statement. She was trying to ease the tension with her joke, but it definitely seemed not to work on Aishe. The glare she was shooting at her sister-in-law was evidence. Standing in the corner, Yasmeen clasped her lips together, preventing herself from laughing. She knew it was a serious matter, but how could she not laugh, with the way aunt Ruwaya just dramatized it. She knew it wasn't an easy thing to let go of, but it was her wedding! They could just get over it and celebrate her brother and cousin's safe arrival. From the way Aishe spoke to her father over the phone, she knew celebration was not on the list.

It seemed Aishe had forgotten it was her only daughter's big day. She had been occupied with finding Habeeb that she forgot to attend to her daughter. Yasmeen contemplated telling her mother about the new development, the Polo game that would be held in their honour. Could she?

Yasmeen would find a way to seek her mother's permission, although she wouldn't get her hopes high,given the short notice. Yasmeen walked herself to the middle of the room where Habeeb stood, ignoring the any bit of tension filling air in the room. Habeeb was her brother, and as long as he was back safe, she wasn't hiding her delight, no matter what her parents thought. She held his hand and smiled. She couldn't hide her joy when he squeezed her hand and pulled her in for a hug.

" Your father will be here soon Habeeb. Then you" Aishe said pointing to the two of them" get to explain to him how you got here."

With that, Aishe left to join the guests outside the room, continuing to pretend that nothing had happened.

" Raihan, your father knows you're in town, so you better get ready to leave because I don't want to answer any more palace summons."

" I am not going anywhere." Raihan wasn't the pouty type. Her face indicated that was her final decision, and that wasn't going to change.

" I am not trying to negotiate with you. You are leaving for the palace, immediately!"

" why? It's not like my father has sent for me."

" He doesn't have to Raihan!" Aunt Ruwaya was final about it. "I am done going to the palace to answer for your stubbornness."

" I did not do anything wrong!"

" You left without telling him!"

" He knew! He gave me the permission to go. He knows i am back."

" He'll answer to me for sending you there without telling me first. Downstairs if five minutes."