CHAPTER 18

Abdulsalam's head jerked up at her statement. He looked at her as if she had grown another head.

" I don't think you understand what I mean. I can't let the wedding happen. I love someone else. " He explained.

" I am not threatened by love. I don't mind you seeing her after our wedding." Yasmeen offered.
Letting the marriage happen meant, him losing Khadija forever, as she had made clear to him. Poor him, he thought. Never had he half a year ago imagined his life to be thrown into such mess. His father wouldn't get off his back about his living arrangements with Yasmeen, Khadija wouldn't let him seek her hand in marriage, his mother would go on and on about how unfair his father was being to him and how heartbroken her sister was over his engagement. Life was a thorough mess! While his object of distress sat right before him, circling her stray locks around her fingers.
God she had long hair, his mind screamed. He cursed himself for being distracted by her beauty before he forgot all his problems for a moment, focusing on the little activity going on between her fingers and her hair. He couldn't stop himself from urging to run his fingers through her curls. He wondered how it would feel and wondered even more when he imagined how soft they would feel against his skin, his eyes narrowed particularly at that thought. He was here because of Khadija and he wouldn't falter over a fancy distraction, he reminded himself.

"Ahem..." He looked uneasy, he could feel it in her gaze." You think it'll be easy for her, seeing her while I am married to you?"

" Why would she mind? I'm basically the one to be cheated on, why is it hers to be upset?" Yasmeen added.

Abdulsalam rubbed his forehead out of exasperation." Do you even listen to yourself? You are being unreasonable. I do not want this marriage, and neither would you if you knew what you are getting into. I will not be.... Let me put it this way. I can never be the husband you would want to be with, because I don't love you, it is Khadija that I love." He nearly screamed the last part.

For some reason he was devastated by her silence and the way her face held no reaction." Sit down Abdulsalam" Yasmeen motioned to the seat.

He didn't know when he had stood up. He was so angry he could hardly breathe. He was himself confused why he was so angry. Khadija wouldn't talk to him, he had been used to that. Meena's indifference towards him mentioning another woman's name while they were engaged injured his pride.

" Drink some water." Yasmeen's face held a faint smile." I would like you to calm down before we talk."

As Audu loosened his tie and sat back in his seat, Yasmeen stood up from hers and came up to him. She poured some water in the glass cup and handed it to him, fighting the urge to stoop to do so.

He took the cup from her and emptied it down his throat. After taking a deep breath, he looked back up at her. She returned to her seat as soon as he dropped the glass.

" I was going to start with how bad your timing is about this conversation as my father is out waiting to win the primary elections, but I guess I would start with what an inconsiderate fellow you are being wasting that grand tea served for you with your meaningless blabbering. "

" I didn't come here to have tea. I am her so we can talk about how we can end this engagement nonsense."

" I won't call a Godly union nonsense. If I were marrying a tadpole, I wouldn't call it nonsense. Not to talk of a well made lawyer with good looks from a good home." She finished her statement with a smirk, pouring the tea he had just rejected in a cup for herself.

" Talking with you won't help huh?" He was embarrassed at her compliment. He hardly received any like those, but her refused to be affected, keeping his face straight.

" Relentless calling and texting too. I am available for healthy conversations like what color should paint the house we'll be living in?" She giggled.

He jerked off the seat aggressively and headed for the door. Yasmeen set her cup gently on the table and rushed after him. He didn't stop until he had reached his car and she was standing between him and the door.

" Step away Meena" Audu warned.

"Let me talk to your girlfriend." She leaned on the car. " I will tell her it's my fault this is happening.

" And you think it'll help?"

" Yes. I know how I'm going to do it and it depends on how much she loves you." Yasmeen stated shaking her head.

" why should I believe you?" Audu furrowed his brows.

" It's not the first time I'm helping you young man, without you asking." Yasmeen rolled her eyes which didn't go unnoticed by Audu.

Abdulsalam knew she was talking about the day she repaired his office AC. He knew she would bring it up on any chance she got. Nevertheless, he felt he could trust her. " How are you going to do that?"

" Don't worry. Us girls will work it out."

" You do realize you can just say you don't want to do this and it's over."

" Yes but there's a price I'm not willing to pay." Yasmeen paused." I understand the values of the people here. A girl calling off her own engagement injures her family's image. And my father's political career is the most important thing for him now."

Yasmeen was right. He felt stupid for trying to impose the idea on her. He was wrong about her. He had thought values and tradition didn't mean anything to her, but here she was, protecting her family's pride.

" You don't have to talk to Khadija. She can be repulsive. I'll handle her."

" Okay. I'm glad you came. Say hi to the family for me."

Yasmeen watched him drive away. It was almost a minute before he reached the gates. Yasmeen commended his commitment to his girlfriend. Loyalty and looks was one hard thing to find in men these days. Mamman Nur was a twat. He would never have had a chance with her if she knew he was married. If ever she decided to settle, she would need a man like Abdulsalam who would love her and not try to hide her no matter what happened.

Yasmeen's phone beeped on the chair she left it on, in the sitting room. Her father had won the primaries. He had just texted her. She jumped happily and ran up the flight of stairs like she was running on the floor. Amir jolted awake at his his sister's incessant screaming.