CHAPTER 20

" I did not see this fire coming doctor, I tell you" Alhaji Bashir said leaning back in his chair. He had come to deliver some tragic news to Dr. Abdulkarim. He had gone to his office at the Mai kura College of Engineering, where he was told that he hadn't checked in that day. He then drove down to the University of Nilefa, where he found him in his office, lurking.

He delivered the news of how the opposing party was gaining more supporters than them.

" If we don't take some quick measures, we will be losing the coming election to him. Doctor there are measures I can take to make sure he doesn't win." Bashir devilishly squinted his eyes." I can make him retreat."

" No Bashir, we are not taking any vile measures. It's politics let's let everyone play" Abdulkarim rejected his suggestion.

" That is not the case Doctor. There's no one behind him. No one strong enough to stand for him, and his supporters are almost three times ours. You should have seen the numbers they came out in. " Bashir pointed out.

" That's because Ba'ana Asheikh was here all the while. They will get to know me better too. I have plenty to offer them. " Dr Abdulkarim shrugged.

" That you do! Now you get what I have been telling you. Everyone has a price. Ba'ana does too. Let me talk to him, and end this."

" Not at all Bashir. That's not what I mean. I am not buying my way into the office and I cannot deny the people their freedom of choice."

"The people do not know what they want! And I am not proud to say that it's the thing hat has kept our party in power all these years. The people's wrong choices have been what we were counting on, until you. " Bashir pointed out." I know you do not want an unfair winning, and I respect that"Bashir placed a hand on his chest, which somehow looked dramatic to Abdulkarim" but we cannot fold our hands and watch our enemies outrun us."

" What do you suggest we do?" Dr Abdulkarim asked taking his spectacles off and leaning back in his seat.

"  Easy. We make his people our people."

" That doesn't sound easy to me." Dr Abdulkarim said furrowing his brows.

" Leave it to me. " Bashir laughed in his ever blocked voice." By the way, why are you in hiding?"

" Hiding?" Abdulkarim asked. He knew Bashir was talking about his presence in the University office. He only went there once in a blue moon, when he didn't want to be found. Bashir knew that and wouldn't have followed him if the matter wasn't serious." I just wanted to find some quiet."

" Oh how you English people behave." He said shaking his head." You want some quiet when you are about to carry more than a million people on your shoulders? We will have to wean you off all these  nasara mindset. " The men both laughed at Bashir calling him an English man. He had stayed so long in England that he started to behave like them, he believed so too so he didn't argue. Men here in Nilefa did not run away from home to find peace, they stayed at home and ordered the rest of the family to it. Abdulkarim did not want things at his home to change just because they were back. He wanted thing to remain the way they were. Control was good but he felt terrible the time he tried to force Yasmeen into marriage. He didn't want experience that again.

" I have a flight to catch to Abuja" Bashir said glancing at his wristwatch.

"So see you tonight then? "Abdulkarim asked as Bashir stood up.

" No I will be back tomorrow. If it's dinner you are inviting me to, let it be tomorrow night." Bashir grinned.

Abdulkarim laughed. Bashir never missed a chance to invite himself to dinner at his house. He loved Aishe's cooking, anyone would. " Tomorrow it is then insha Allah. Although I wasn't going to invite you.."

"You don't have to. I have this mouth for that!" They laughed, shaking hands frantically ,then said goodbye.

___________________________________

"It appears I would have to wait for your aunt Ruwaya to come back before we decide your furniture." Aishe resigned talking to Yasmeen about the designs wanted for her new home. It was unnerving how Yasmeen looked up tea collections when Aishe was busy thinking of the furniture and everything. She had said countlessly that, not for her striking resemblance with her father, she would have thought that  her baby had been switched. Aishe was a woman of great taste and style. She picked the perfect designs and befitting colors for everything. Yasmeen was nothing like her.

" Mother please. Aren't you the one who's supposed to handle those things? It's embarrassing when we talk about it." Yasmeen protested.

" Is that so?" Aishe scanned Yasmeen's face making her look away. Aishe laughed lightly and reminded her about how she willingly agreed to an arranged marriage with a man she hardly knew." There's not a shy bone in your body Jazz"

Yasmeen whom was embarrassed to death crushed her mother in a hug to hide her shame, embracing her tightly. Aishe did it on purpose, she would not miss a chance to bring it up anytime. She had wanted Yasmeen to talk to her before she said yes. She believed sometimes that it was her fault her daughter found it hard to open up to her. She had always been closer to her father.

" Mummy don't talk about it please" Yasmeen breathed into her mother's chest.

" I am tired of doing everything for you Yasmeen. You have to take responsibility now and not just lie down there scrolling through nonsense."

" It's the latest tea collection mummy." Yasmeen pouted.

" Nonsense." Aishe shook her head." You have better learn to make some nice Arabian tea. When you are married and you serve your husband your 'proper' English tea"she quoted with her hands "he'll be disappointed and I will be disgraced." Yasmeen stayed quiet for a moment before opening her mouth to point out how spicy and loaded Arabian tea was when they heard a knock on the door.

Zainaba came in then, seeking Aishe's attention. Yasmeen sighed in relief. She'd had enough of mother's constantly embarrassing her. When did she even start to talk about these things? She appreciated the days when Aishe exploded to the mention of a man's name. Now that she talked to her about her husband embarrassed her profoundly.

When mother left, her phone rang. It was baby. She groaned before answering the call.

"Anty Yasmeen" baby chirped, making Yasmeen roll her eyes again. Ever since her engagement baby had called her anty, which she didn't like. She was told, people in Nilefa called their elders anty even if they were not thier real aunt.

" Baby can you please stop calling me anty."

" This is not your baby talking now." A female voice, strange to her came. " This is Khadija Kubra talking."

" Okayy.... I believe we must have met before but I don't quite remember who you are. Pardon me.

" We have not met before, but Abdulsalam must have mentioned my name to you."

Oh that was her. Abdulsalam's one and only ladylove. " Oh howdy love? To what do I owe the pleasure?"